1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

really getting fed up with the posts stating RTX/DLSS does not work this gen

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by sunshinewelly, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Rroff

Man of Honour

Really quick and dirty test so pretty simple and unfinished scene/rendering errors but impressive for Quake 2 engine hah

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And what it looks like to get 60 FPS on a GTX1070 LOL!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  2. TNA

Capodecina

Lol. Nice change your goal posts. I think you will find that on a calibrated 60Hz panel like mine it looks very good. I do not play online or any twitch gaming so it is fine and image quality is on another level to 1440p hence why I could not go back to it (believe me, my wallet really wanted to). Pretty sure even Kaapstad only has 60Hz panel.

Basically what you are saying is 4K high fps is very hard/expensive to achieve which is true. But you should just say that. Lucky for me I only ever need 60fps so do not really need much more grunt than people on potato resolutions that want 144fps minimums :p;)

Actually many new games offer a in game resolution scaler and I can reduce resolution quite a bit there if needed and it still looks better than native 1440p ;)

;)

That does look good for a Quake 2 engine Rroff :D

Lol at the last image of it being rendered on your 1070 :p

3. Bluntwrapped

Mobster

There are enough university graduates out there looking for work, crowdfunding a PC exclusive or two shouldn’t be impossible.

May be the only way to break away from console dependency and produce something of value.

4. Kaapstad

Man of Honour

Dell UltraSharp UP3216Q

I will upgrade to a 120htz or even 144htz 4k monitor in the near future when I find a good 32" one.

5. Rossi~

Capodecina

Let me know when you find one lol. They're imminent I think.

6. TNA

Capodecina

Will also upgrade to something like that myself. But probably in 2 years time. Right now happy with what I got. From time to time I fancy trying out something new, but I have to remind myself how painful it can be buying monitors where you end up with either dead pixels, or backlight bleed etc. Just too much hassle when what I have is just fine. Even this monitor it was on the 2nd one that it came out fine, the 1st one I got had dead pixels and severe backlight bleed.

Besides I am getting an OLED TV in the near future so that will scratch my itch for a good while. It will be g-sync/freesync and 4K 120Hz over HDMI 2.1 so can always connect the PC to it now and then once the 3070 finally comes out. Won’t happen often though, my PC case is huge and heavy so can’t be asked taking that down to the living room and back up all the time. Lol. That is why I will be getting a PS5 for the OLED for living room gaming :D

7. stooeh

Wise Guy

move the OLED to the PC then :p

8. TNA

Capodecina

Haha. The OLED will be replacing my current wall mounted Plasma in the living room. It is also too big for my desk.

If they ever made a 40” version I would buy it and use it as a monitor actually as it is the best display tech out there. I think I would be fine in regards to burn in as I can just set a screen saver to come on for every 1 or 2 minutes of inactivity. Can also do things like hide windows bar etc.

9. Grim5

Wise Guy

LG will be selling 48 inch OLEDs from January 2020

10. TNA

Capodecina

Yeah, I heard of that one, but that is still too big imo. Might give it a go in a few years time if I can pick it up in the cheap, but by then there might be other options.

11. Poneros

Mobster

12. Kelt

Sgarrista

It's a great shame/disappointment that Bethesda own the Fallout IP.

They have turned into an awful anti-gamer company, and one one I shall avoid for the foreseeable.

13. Poneros

Mobster

14. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

RTX 2060, 60fps+ 1080p gaming, with RT ON!.

:p

15. RavenXXX2

Capodecina

lol with dlss on it's rendered at 720p, then dlss up to 1080p.

720p gaming on a £400 gpu.:p

16. shankly1985

Capodecina

Shhhh
    They will never know! :D

17. Rroff

Man of Honour

So... I did the best I could with the Quake 2 engine LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bare in mind that is all made with misusing the stock textures and all the geometry limitations of a 20 odd year old engine (the smallest shape you can make is over 1 inch large and scale between the units used and representation ingame is way off reality and in some cases you can't even make stuff to scale without the geometry exploding) and I'm no artist... but if you can look past that the lighting with caustics and indirect effects is nice. Ironically despite ray traced reflections being slated for being over the top there doesn't seem to be a pure mirror material shipped with Quake 2 RTX so I had to poorly use a TV screen type surface.

18. Grim5

Wise Guy

DLSS in Control is pretty damn good

19. Illuminist

Mobster

It still looks unbelievably good, I especially like the person in the shower

20. Rroff

Man of Honour

Sadly to get that kind of quality without a lot of sample noise/smearing and playable framerates at that kind of resolution even a 2080ti barely cuts it - to get approx. 60 FPS on my 1070 it ends up like below and has a fair bit of noise in the image and streaks from the gun on faster movement, etc.

[​IMG]

Still pretty impressive though it is even working at all at playable framerates at late 1990s resolutions hah using non-dedicated hardware.