• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Really Starting to Think I Should Spend My Money on Something Else!!!

Associate
Cancelled my 3080 order. Really wanted one at the start, but we all know how that went. Just gonna make do with my 2060 for now. I got burnt with 2060S coming out soon after this, not having the same happen again on something costing over £700.

Soldato
With continuing shortages, perhaps now until March, and with me realising that 10GB isn't future proof at all ( at least for me ) , I am really starting to think that I should just cancel Christmas so to speak and spend my money elsewhere. I mean at this rate I can see the higher memory cards coming out in March and not really being available in numbers until April/May. This entire 3000 launch has just been a joke and I am thinking now best to just forget it for six months. Anyone else thinking the same?

Get a Playstation 5. Trust me you wont regret it, it's a fantastic machine and if I didn't just upgrade my PC I'd have considered making a permanent switch to consoles

Associate
I will keep my 1080ti

10gb is a joke and it requires basic math skills and knowledge of new consoles and how texturing works in 3D...but mostly common sense and not be a sad poor fanboy.

Only reason Nvidia is givin 10 is to sell 20 in 2021 or force the zombies to pit their texture settings to medium, fine if the card was £500 actual buying price....

3080ti at 2080ti pricing is pointless as proven by the extremely laughable adoption rate of 2080ti and 20xx except the barely capable 2060 and 2070.

IMHO Nvidia try to aim for the gullible and squeeze them like lemon as they know they lack of any common sense, I guess they didn’t expect AMD to go after them as they did...

Caporegime
Get a Playstation 5. Trust me you wont regret it, it's a fantastic machine and if I didn't just upgrade my PC I'd have considered making a permanent switch to consoles
You ain't getting a PS5 or XSX for less than £1000 before March :p

Even with retailers charging £650 for the XSX stock is only around for seconds and then it's off to eBay, where completed listings show most XSX and PS5 "achieving" ~£1000 each.

Nobody is buying anything for anywhere near RRP until March/April time. Not consoles, not PCs.

Soldato
Nvidia this gen have been massively overpriced - they totally F'd over the 2080ti and super people.

I think you'll find those people were F'd over by Nvidia last gen when they sold them those ridiculously priced cards.

In September, I doubled my performance from 1080ti after 3.5 years for £100 less outlay - that's "massively overpriced"??? :confused:

Nvidia have done a great job this gen with the exception being the 3090 - but they knew from experience that there were people willing to go "there".

Caporegime
$800 + VAT + import duty is well above £1000 tho :p

March. If you can get it for the RRP of £450 before March I'll eat a doughnut that looks like a hat if you squint a bit.

Man of Honour
Nvidia are about to take a big curly wurly dump on 3000 series cards with the new 5nmm architecture .https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-rumored-to-introduce-gpu-architecture-named-after-ada-lovelace.
Nvidia this gen have been massively overpriced - they totally F'd over the 2080ti and super people.
Selling my Radeon VII if you need fast memory .

Wouldn't surprise me - there are certain hallmarks we should see 1-3 years before some of the technologies in Hopper become a reality - more updates adding stuff like hardware accelerated scheduling - so that features can be tested, etc.

Soldato
As a 2080 Ti owner I'm still feeling pretty pleased with my purchase - 3070 performance, already been using it a year and a half. Plus at £950ish it's only cost about £300 more than I'm seeing 3070s listed at, for that year and a half of use, and I actually have the card in my possession...
Same here i don't know what all the stress has been about with people wanting to upgrade to a 3000series so badly and quickly as games have been running great on my 2080ti :)

Soldato
Nvidia are about to take a big curly wurly dump on 3000 series cards with the new 5nmm architecture .https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-rumored-to-introduce-gpu-architecture-named-after-ada-lovelace.
Selling my Radeon VII if you need fast memory .

Well the only difference here is that Nvidia are launching a new chip before Hopper around the same timescale, so it's to be expected that we'll get new GPUs around this time next year. And rumours are Nvidia have signed a massive contract with Samsung to push out more 8NM.

Same here i don't know what all the stress has been about with people wanting to upgrade to a 3000series so badly and quickly as games have been running great on my 2080ti :)

Quite a few people want more grunt, and a 2080Ti can't offer what a 3080 can at 4k, unless you turn down even more settings.

I will keep my 1080ti

10gb is a joke and it requires basic math skills and knowledge of new consoles and how texturing works in 3D...but mostly common sense and not be a sad poor fanboy.

Only reason Nvidia is givin 10 is to sell 20 in 2021 or force the zombies to pit their texture settings to medium, fine if the card was £500 actual buying price....

3080ti at 2080ti pricing is pointless as proven by the extremely laughable adoption rate of 2080ti and 20xx except the barely capable 2060 and 2070.

IMHO Nvidia try to aim for the gullible and squeeze them like lemon as they know they lack of any common sense, I guess they didn’t expect AMD to go after them as they did...

I'd like to see your 11GB 1080Ti keep up with a 10GB 3080, before the 1GB ram helps both cards will be obsolete.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP

I was looking forward to the 3000 series for some time, I bought a monitor that my existing card just can't handle at all, so this botched release has been a huge disappointment to me. If I had known what was going to happen in advance I would have bought a 2080ti. Now I can't buy anything.

Soldato
I gave up, spending the money on other things like a new phone and stuff around the house and playing older games. It really is a joke and the funniest part is seeing the advertising by these companies on social media like they are rubbing your face in it "Here is a GPU we know you want but cant have"

Associate
I cancelled my 3080 order in November, ordered on day of launch and got bored of waiting for it. Scalpers basically have ruined it for everybody, that goes for PS5s as well.
All you have to do is look on the major sites we all know and love to see them on sale at prices from £1,600+ for a 3080.

Its so annoying when you have the money but you can't buy one thanks to that.

I really wanted a 3080 as well for the VR update that's dropping today for MSFS2020.

Associate
I will keep my 1080ti

The salt is strong in this one :D

Soldato
I will keep my 1080ti

My 3080 runs perfectly well @ 4k all settings at max and high fps.

It requires basic ownership and use of a product rather than some self entitled 'math and knowledge of new consoles' to realize what you say is utter dribble.

Sounds like you need a tube of Anusol.

Soldato
I gave up, spending the money on other things like a new phone and stuff around the house and playing older games. It really is a joke and the funniest part is seeing the advertising by these companies on social media like they are rubbing your face in it "Here is a GPU we know you want but cant have"

Social media only advertises what you've spent all day hunting for. ;)

Caporegime
How many people do you think spent >£1000 on a 2080 Ti in the first place? :p

Most of us were on a lot worse cards than that to start with :p

Caporegime
I cancelled my 3080 order in November, ordered on day of launch and got bored of waiting for it. Scalpers basically have ruined it for everybody, that goes for PS5s as well.
All you have to do is look on the major sites we all know and love to see them on sale at prices from £1,600+ for a 3080.

Its so annoying when you have the money but you can't buy one thanks to that.

I really wanted a 3080 as well for the VR update that's dropping today for MSFS2020.
Was reading about one of the so-called "groups" that do the scalping. GrepChiefAssMaster or something, they call themselves.

They put out a sob story that, "Our members have been having a rough time due to Covid, a lot of us have been furloughed, and need the extra cash for that Ferrari.. I mean, to put food on the table for our sixteen children."

I had to laugh. Oh noes, you've been sitting your ass on 80% pay for almost a year, how awful. Some of us have had to work though this pandemic, and our reward at the end of it is a pay freeze for the next 10 years.

But you do you, scalpers.

Anyway, they have pledged to keep buying up all the stock and have basically said, "We have no regrets and this is how the future looks for tech. Reselling is here to stay. If you want it, you're going to have to buy it from us."

Associate
Was reading about one of the so-called "groups" that do the scalping. GrepChiefAssMaster or something, they call themselves.

They put out a sob story that, "Our members have been having a rough time due to Covid, a lot of us have been furloughed, and need the extra cash for that Ferrari.. I mean, to put food on the table for our sixteen children."

I had to laugh. Oh noes, you've been sitting your ass on 80% pay for almost a year, how awful. Some of us have had to work though this pandemic, and our reward at the end of it is a pay freeze for the next 10 years.

But you do you, scalpers.

Anyway, they have pledged to keep buying up all the stock and have basically said, "We have no regrets and this is how the future looks for tech. Reselling is here to stay. If you want it, you're going to have to buy it from us."
It's a sad (or great depending on how you view the notion of free enterprise ) part of market forces. The 'industrious' fellow I know has had 4x 3080's from the same retailer, only 1 was a pre-order that I know off, the other 3 had all been offered to him from said retailer.

The only way to prevent scalpers is for companies to have enough product to suit demand, this is ALL on Nvidia and AMD - neither should have launched when they did. The problem is a lack of consumer choice in this field meaning this sort of debacle goes unpunished. I was rooting for AMD this time until their pathetic launch...

Soldato
Social media only advertises what you've spent all day hunting for. ;)

You're right but that's not what I meant. I meant when you follow a company and their posts advertising their products. Two different methods of advertising. I havent seen any cookie tracking advertising relating to GPUs and CPUs and I dont have the time to "spend all day" looking for them

Back
Top Bottom