Received an empty box from Amazon Warehouse

Associate
Having some trouble with Amazon too at the moment.....

My mum who is 73 asked me what I would like for xmas, she has been shielding due to pandemic and was obviously concerned about going out on public transport to city centre shopping centres. I told her to buy us all Amazon vouchers as this would be easier, safer and allow us to choose what we want instead of getting a jumper or socks. Mum said that's a great idea and got straight on to it ordering up 3x£75 gift vouchers.

So a few days later the vouchers arrived and my mum started wrapping the box's up that they came in, she noticed one of the box's had been tampered with so opened it up only to find it was just an empty box (voucher was missing). Straight away my mum got in touch with Amazon through chat and then on the phone, she explained to customer services one of the box's was empty and it looked like it had been tampered with and the customer services adviser said the unfortunately the voucher that had been in the box had now been used, the adviser went on to say she could see the voucher had been purchased by my mum on the 8th used on the 9th but hadn't been delivered to my mum until the 10th, the adviser agreed to credit the voucher back to my mums account........ Sorted she thought!

The next day my mum received an email from Amazon saying they have refunded a grand total £1.62 (I don't know if that was postage or for the gift box the voucher came in, or didn't as it happens), so my mum got in touch again with Amazon to query the refund of the £1.62 and whilst in conversation with a different adviser she was told the other two vouchers ordered at the same time had also been used, so she was now £225 out of pocket, by know my poor old mum is feeling as sick as a parrot!!! The advisor asks her to check the other two cards, my mum had already wrapped these box's up ready for xmas, so my mum unwraps them as asked to find the codes have been exposed on the back of the cards. Amazon have refused to credit my mum for the codes stating they have been used fraudulently so my mum would now need to report it to the police!

Now Amazon know they were ordered on the 8th used on the 9th but weren't delivered to my mum until the 10th. so how the hell could my mum be expected to be out of pocket for them!!!

Amazon know the total history of the order they must also know who picked the order at the warehouse, who delivered the order and which account has redeemed the codes!

My mum is 73 years of age living off her measly state pension in a Guinness trust flat, £225 is huge amount of money for my mum to lose but it's the stress of trying to sort this with Amazon that is the biggest thing, my mum has lived her life believing in fairness............ how can Amazon think it is fair in anyway to leave the problem at my mums door?

I would love to be able to say "that's it i am never using Amazon again" but I cant!!! we rely on them too much now and cant do without them....... I am getting really fed up with the knock a door run game the drivers now play too!

Associate
That's awful, in this particular case not sure why Amazon cant refund as the issue took place before they were delivered, so ultimately still Amazon responsibility, seems like they are getting more of this and trying to pass the buck onto the customer.
Its easier for Amazon to get the paying customer to try and resolve than going after the real culprits. As you say it should be fairly easy to void the balance on the account the vouchers were redeemed on - but they wont do that
Do as a previous poster and email Jeff and see if you can get some movement on this.

Soldato

Did she pay by credit card? Even if it's a bank, I think you can claim it to be an unlawful transaction of some kind and ask the bank to take it back. Then tell Amazon they need to prove they were delivered and used by your mum.

Also, tell you mum to get a code emailed instead of a card posted :) I know it's not as nice a gesture/present, but surely it means this can't happen. Then you just need to hope the item you buy with your code actually comes!

I just spoke with Apple, as it's now been 12 days, in a slightly more forceful manner "We believe what you're telling us", "Okay, so why haven't you refunded me!?". They say it's being processed and I'll see it within 48 hours.

Soldato

My mum who is 73 asked me what I would like for xmas, she has been shielding due to pandemic and was obviously concerned about going out on public transport to city centre shopping centres. I told her to buy us all Amazon vouchers as this would be easier, safer and allow us to choose what we want instead of getting a jumper or socks. Mum said that's a great idea and got straight on to it ordering up 3x£75 gift vouchers.

So a few days later the vouchers arrived and my mum started wrapping the box's up that they came in, she noticed one of the box's had been tampered with so opened it up only to find it was just an empty box (voucher was missing). Straight away my mum got in touch with Amazon through chat and then on the phone, she explained to customer services one of the box's was empty and it looked like it had been tampered with and the customer services adviser said the unfortunately the voucher that had been in the box had now been used, the adviser went on to say she could see the voucher had been purchased by my mum on the 8th used on the 9th but hadn't been delivered to my mum until the 10th, the adviser agreed to credit the voucher back to my mums account........ Sorted she thought!

The next day my mum received an email from Amazon saying they have refunded a grand total £1.62 (I don't know if that was postage or for the gift box the voucher came in, or didn't as it happens), so my mum got in touch again with Amazon to query the refund of the £1.62 and whilst in conversation with a different adviser she was told the other two vouchers ordered at the same time had also been used, so she was now £225 out of pocket, by know my poor old mum is feeling as sick as a parrot!!! The advisor asks her to check the other two cards, my mum had already wrapped these box's up ready for xmas, so my mum unwraps them as asked to find the codes have been exposed on the back of the cards. Amazon have refused to credit my mum for the codes stating they have been used fraudulently so my mum would now need to report it to the police!

Now Amazon know they were ordered on the 8th used on the 9th but weren't delivered to my mum until the 10th. so how the hell could my mum be expected to be out of pocket for them!!!

Amazon know the total history of the order they must also know who picked the order at the warehouse, who delivered the order and which account has redeemed the codes!

My mum is 73 years of age living off her measly state pension in a Guinness trust flat, £225 is huge amount of money for my mum to lose but it's the stress of trying to sort this with Amazon that is the biggest thing, my mum has lived her life believing in fairness............ how can Amazon think it is fair in anyway to leave the problem at my mums door?

I would love to be able to say "that's it i am never using Amazon again" but I cant!!! we rely on them too much now and cant do without them....... I am getting really fed up with the knock a door run game the drivers now play too!

As she will have paid by card tell her to speak to the bank/card company & get them to do a chargeback/Sec 75 refund.

Soldato
It's really bad. Is the only way around this to record you opening an item?
What does that prove :confused:. Not as if you can't open a cardboard box from the other side so leaving one sides seal intact for the camera. I'd be more suspicious of people filming it, like they planned this all along :eek: (unless you do this for the likes of YT)

Last edited:
Associate
What does that prove :confused:. Not as if you can't open a cardboard box from the other side so leaving one sides seal intact for the camera. I'd be more suspicious of people filming it, like they planned this all along :eek: (unless you do this for three likes of YT)
Thats actually a good point - if you go to the effort of recording it and then have an issue retailers could make a point that you planned this, anything to avoid taking responsibility, seems like the customer will have issues either way

Associate
Thanks for all your advice guys/girls

My mum has got my sister in law (A Green Eyed Fiery Redhead) to add herself to the her Amazon account so she can talk to customer services in a more forceful manor.

I did reassure my mum we would get her money back for her even if we had to do a card chargeback but non of these are easy for my mum to sort so we will have to go through the hassle of adding one of us to her bank account to do this for her.

Its all an added stress that my mum could do without.... with living on her own through pandemic,sheiding, lock down 2.0 and now coming out in to tier 3.

Soldato
@mit1

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Sorry also to hear that you cannot live without amazon. Personally after a few instances of bad faith on their part I would never use them again. It is not really a huge issue to avoid them as far as I am concerned however they are a bit intrusive and virus-like with their model.

Soldato
What does that prove :confused:. Not as if you can't open a cardboard box from the other side so leaving one sides seal intact for the camera. I'd be more suspicious of people filming it, like they planned this all along :eek: (unless you do this for the likes of YT)

What if the video shows all sides of the box before it is opened (and one take)?

Soldato
I believe you're supposed to film taking the package from the delivery man and open it while he's still there. No way you can swap things out then, surely? Still, quite a pain if you have to do this every time.

It is basically immoral to expect a purchaser to have to do this and is a result of a scummy business model and poor staffing and supervision. What happened to the customer is always right as an expectation, then building a system which enables the vendor to establish this without question for each transaction at every stage from ordering to receipt?

Amazon sucks ****.

Back
Top Bottom