Recommend a 5.25" to USB External Caddy?

Associate
I've got a 5.25" optical drive that I use quite regularly to rip DVDs and BluRays, but I've just switched to a Mini ITX case without a slot. So I'm in need of an external caddy; there's plenty of Chinese products, or adapaters with questionable claims regarding powering a 5.25" optical drive. Can anyone recommend a quality brand or specific external caddy for a full-size 5.25" optical drive, ideally USB 3.0?

The OWC one is probably the one that is best in terms of build quality, but not all BluRay drives for in it - My Pioneer BDR-207EBK doesn't fit, for example as it has a maximum internal size of 1780mm, so check the spec sheets before ordering

I'd recommend trying to find a Vantec NST-536S3-B as it's the only 5.25" caddy that I've found so far that works properly with my optical drives. Only downside with it is that it comes with a US psu, but it's compatible with 230v, and you can find compatible psus for it elsewhere.

I'd recommend trying to find a Vantec NST-536S3-B as it's the only 5.25" caddy that I've found so far that works properly with my optical drives. Only downside with it is that it comes with a US psu, but it's compatible with 230v, and you can find compatible psus for it elsewhere.

Thank you for that suggestion, i've just had a quick look at its spec sheet and it will fit my Pioneer drive as it states that its maximum internal depth is 1850mm :) can I ask what are the electrical requirements of the PSU so I can start searching for one of those with a UK plug please?

Thank you for that suggestion, i've just had a quick look at its spec sheet and it will fit my Pioneer drive as it states that its maximum internal depth is 1850mm :) can I ask what are the electrical requirements of the PSU so I can start searching for one of those with a UK plug please?
The original psu is CD Model CP1220, accepts 100-240v, 50/60mhz at 0.5a for input, and outputs 12v at 2a, and has the positive in the tip. When I was searching for a UK replacement, I just searched for "CP1220 GM" and found one for £10.99. The PSU I received is a DSS28-1202000-C, and has the same plug and output as the included one.

Another PSU you could look for is the CS-1202000, which came with another Vantec sata adapter I have. Inputs and outputs are mostly the same as the first, except it allows up to a max of 1.5a on the input.

The original psu is CD Model CP1220, accepts 100-240v, 50/60mhz at 0.5a for input, and outputs 12v at 2a, and has the positive in the tip. When I was searching for a UK replacement, I just searched for "CP1220 GM" and found one for £10.99. The PSU I received is a DSS28-1202000-C, and has the same plug and output as the included one.

Another PSU you could look for is the CS-1202000, which came with another Vantec sata adapter I have. Inputs and outputs are mostly the same as the first, except it allows up to a max of 1.5a on the input.

Thank you, I have a spare modem/router plug from a Zyxel device that outputs 12v at 2a, so that might do it as the only difference is a max of 0.8a on the input

I just tried my rainforest cheap ide/Sata converter and it works for my retired Sata drive and the 5.25in sh-203b dvd-Rw. it’s just the bare minimum of rework cables, one having the Sata/ide adapter in the middle. Very handy.

I've got a 5.25" optical drive that I use quite regularly to rip DVDs and BluRays, but I've just switched to a Mini ITX case without a slot. So I'm in need of an external caddy; there's plenty of Chinese products, or adapaters with questionable claims regarding powering a 5.25" optical drive. Can anyone recommend a quality brand or specific external caddy for a full-size 5.25" optical drive, ideally USB 3.0?
Did you get one in the end?
I am currently looking for one and can't seem to find one that is both decent quality and in stock.

Did you get one in the end?
I am currently looking for one and can't seem to find one that is both decent quality and in stock.
I forgot all about this thread; independently though I ordered the OWC Mercury Pro. Annoyingly I didn't check the compatible lengths as my optical drive is too long to fit properly; but it works regardless, a little bit more than I was wanting to spend though.

OWC Mercury Pro 5.25" Optical Drive External Enclosure (add your own 5.25" optical drive) is mean't to be decent.

Because of the price I decided to buy a E-Sata + Molex PCI adapter all i need is molex to sata power and sata cable and hey presto!

Back
Top Bottom