1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4, Xbox and PC Hopefully)

Discussion in 'Console Games & Hardware' started by Shawreyboy, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Dredd

Wise Guy

I agree it's not open world really.

It's a story driven game with open world stuff added on, it's all pointless.

story mission should just roll one after another.

Still great game, you can see two different directions the game currently sits.

2. melmac

Soldato

It's terrible. I just bought this recently myself and was looking forward to it. I was in the middle of Chapter 2 but wasn't enjoying it, the clunkiness you are talking about ruins the game for me. Stopped playing a few days ago and don't think I will bother returning.

3. melmac

Soldato

I didn't even make the first town. I might give it another go if I am bored and stuck for something to play.

4. chroniclard

Capodecina

Yeah I haven't gone back yet. Will return to it when bored of other stuff.

Which is annoying my son as he wants to try it but I said I need to vet it a little first. :p (Hes 11)

5. ic1male

Caporegime

I remember all the hype when everyone was practically frothing at the mouth saying it would be the best game ever. Now look at you all! :p I'm still waiting for the 4K60 next-gen version before I try it.

6. Kainz

Capodecina

It is amongst my top 5 games easily tbh and that is from a guy who endlessly slagged it off before release because I had zero faith (groan) in Rockstar delivering their typical SP experience. They exceeded my expectations imo.

7. Amatsubu

Mobster

I think most people here enjoyed the hell out of it, they're just done with it.

It's still the most impressive game in years, world building, immersion, weather, animations and graphics. Had loads of fun just exploring, discovering details and hunting. The shootouts still felt great even with the tanky controls, I got used to them after 30 mins.

Don't know what people were expecting, it was going to be a slow-paced, story-driven western not a reskinned GTA. It was the same with TLoU, reading those complaints about boring gameplay and that story was weak even though the game gained universal acclaim:p You can't please everybody.

8. SS-89

Sgarrista

RD2 may have been critically acclaimed (which means very little nowadays) but I wouldn't agree that it got the same response from players that the TLoU did. It's a good game with some great parts but it has some pretty glaring flaws imo. TLoU had its detractors but I dont think they were as prevalent as RD2, you can see that reflected in user metarating, 8 on ps4 and 7.4 on XB1, whereas TLoU remaster is sitting at 9.1 and the original on ps3 is 9.2.

9. BGGLP

Gangster

Yeah naughty dog are way above R* for me now after RDR2. Naughty dog’s releases are always stunning and impeccably polished. Whereas RDR2 simply wasn’t imo.

10. Amatsubu

Mobster

Have you even played through it, to be fair? Because the last time I remember, you complained about lack of HDR and said you wouldn't play it because of that. It's kinda hard to give an opinion about a game's polish if you didn't really play it.

Yeah, HDR should be fixed but the game itself is really polished and you won't find this level of detail and immersion even in ND titles, as much as I love them all. If borked HDR is enough to label it as unpolished without really experiencing it then okay but it's a bit weird.

And that TLOU comparison was just to illustrate differing opinions because there are still quite a few people who think it's mediocre. It's hard to compare a short linear game with RDR2 and say it had less flaws. By the time you finish prologue and get used to the mechanics in RDR2 you're halfway through TLoU. IMO, both were excellent. There was nothing riding on TLoU then as it was a new franchise. With RDR2 I think people just expected something different, I expected a sequel to RDR and got it. ND have never produced anything of RDR2's scale, if they do we'll see how they fare as there's a lot more to factor in when designing a believable world like that.

11. BGGLP

Gangster

Yes fair point. I guess the lack of proper hdr and rubbish CB rendering, clunky controls just turned me sour. Maybe if I ever do play through it then my opinion will change but I simply cannot get into games anymore if the hdr isn’t right. Playing in SDR just doesn’t do it for me anymore. I guess once I experienced what hdr can do for games then that was it for SDR. They just look flat and one dimensional and that really hampers immersion as I’m just left feeling ****** off that it hasn’t been implemented right. HDR is made for games, I still enjoy SDR films and series but games it just is too lacking.

12. Amatsubu

Mobster

Yeah, I can understand that, it wasn't a stab at you or anything, just a question. I'm glad I didn't go HDR because when a game gets it wrong it makes no difference for me:p

I can assure you though, this game's world and all the little details/interactions are amazing and those heavy controls can be gotten used to. I can't even list all the details I've seen so far, there are just too many:p I even see new stuff in places I've been to dozens of times before, like Valentine. It's incredibly polished, just the HDR isn't.

Controls are just Rockstar, they made everything heavier. GTA5 had a bit clunky controls as well. It's the closest thing to a real objective flaw in RDR2 if people can't get used to them, they aren't perfect. Other than that, it's a masterpiece with a few niggles and a laidback pace. Maybe not for people who don't enjoy exploration, westerns and slower story-driven experiences but it's great overall.

13. BGGLP

Gangster

Thanks. Well I reckon I’d probably love the game then as they’re all the things I love. It’s a game that’s definitely on my list to return to at some point. Thanks for calling me out on my viewpoint too for the fact I actually haven’t anywhere finished the game. Cheers :)

14. Amatsubu

Mobster

Well, I completely missed that but there's been a patch recently that adds a new, seemingly much better, HDR mode and improves AO.
    Not much difference for me obviously but downloading now as I'm getting back into the game.

15. jonneymendoza

Capodecina

It is one of the best games ever

16. TheVoice

Capodecina

Depends on your preference really, I prefer the cinematic HDR mode, the full blown HDR might be how HDR "should be" but the subdued effect and less vivid colour palette suits the game far better.

17. Amatsubu

Mobster

I'm on SDR so no difference to me, but a lot of people seem to like strong HDR. The game's beautiful to me even without it, graphics are often just jaw-dropping. For example, the lighting in Saint Denis at night is totally incredible.

18. SS-89

Sgarrista

It's nothing to do with 'strong hdr', the cinematic hdr was utterly broken. It was effectively mapping a sdr 8 bit image mastered at 100 nits into a 10bit hdr container. When most hdr content is mastered at 4000nits and above it was painfully rubbish implementation, raising the paper white nits to combat this would then wash out the whole image as it would increase overall brightness washing out blacks (digital foundry did an article on it). Its a legacy of the fact the game was probably not developed with HDR in mind. The new implementation is much better but still not perfect. If you want to see some good implementations of hdr then Sony first party titles are where it's at, that being said hdr needs to be seen on a set capable of doing it justice either OLED or FALD LCD.

19. Amatsubu

Mobster

I was saying that people in general seem to like more in-your-face HDR, I obviously have no idea how it looks in RDR2, nor any other game for that matter, as I don't have a suitable display. All I knew is that RDR2 had borked HDR. I've only seen HDR in action on some TV demo, it was nice but I wasn't blown away.

I'd maybe get a proper HDR-capable TV but until everyone gets the implementation right, I don't want to get used to it and then run into a game that does it poorly.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  20. ricky1981

Mobster

HDR was broken but SDR in this game still looked fantastic. Either way, I wouldn't let one game put you off buying an HDR TV as it really does make a difference when done right (which most AA-AAA titles manage).