1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4, Xbox and PC Hopefully)

Discussion in 'Console Games & Hardware' started by Shawreyboy, Feb 1, 2018.

1. chroniclard

Capodecina

I just got this for Xbox, made it through maybe an hour of it so far. So clunky on console. :( Assuming it gets better!

2. Kerplunk

Sgarrista

Double post

3. Kerplunk

Sgarrista

The chunkiness is there for the duration I am afraid, that is the only thing holding me back from a 2nd play through, it feels so cumbersome - Oh and Dutch :p

4. chroniclard

Capodecina

Swear RDR1 wasnt like this. Ah well, will soldier on, need to get my £15 worth.:p

5. Spunkey

Capodecina

I felt the same way on release. It was so bad I just left it after about 2 or 3 hours in. I picked it up again at the start of April and finished it, though. The clunkiness doesn't get any better, but you get more used to it and can account for it. Quite how the controls got through QA as they are, I'll never know.

6. wingman

Mobster

Correct. I recently played a bit of the Undead Nightmare DLC and it felt far less clunky, almost arcade like in a way. It clearly wasn't as realistic, but going that way with RDR2 has been to it's detriment I think.

7. Kainz

Capodecina

I almost dumped the game due to the clunkyness when I first got it in December. Starting off in Chapter 1 was dreadful but the game fully opens up in Chapter 2 and onwards and you start to realise that Rockstar did it all for a reason - the immersion factor. You wouldn't love Arthur has much if you didn't feel the 'weight' behind his punches when he gets into a brawl, or when you tackle someone to the ground for instance. RDR1 is straight up old school GTA that we all know and are use to obviously.

8. wingman

Mobster

I'm of the camp that puts fun gameplay and story above immersion. My most beloved character in any video game is Cloud from Final Fantasy VII and controlling him wasn't realistic or immersive at all.

I would've genuinely preferred this. My gaming time is my time to get away from the laws of the real world, hence my love for Rocket League! I get the appeal in some respects, but it's genuinely something that's put me off RDR2.

9. Witcher1980

Gangster

Oh it was, as you are playing on xbox rdr1 has a 4k patch which actually looks really good. Pretty sure it is on game pass as well.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  10. Kainz

Capodecina

lol that's interesting because that's how my gaming time is but I appreciate the realism/slow factor of the game for some reason. I mainly play to immerse myself in the world and thusly wind down (also to get away from the missus). Before this it was AC: Odyssey but it felt too arcadey, and before that it was Subnautica, which probably is my ultimate wind down/exploration game. Used to play Rocket League back during its release but it used to make me rage too much!

11. BGGLP

Gangster

The combat in this game is dire; there’s no way a game whose combat feels so poor should be getting 10’s imo. For example Days Gone combat is far better (and it’s not perfect). The auto aim thing in RDR2 is terrible and without it it’s not really playable.

12. ricky1981

Mobster

The combat and controls are pretty poor but I still enjoyed my time with the game purely because the world is breathtaking. If you just follow the main missions then it's a 6-7/10 but if you explore the map, go hunting, find weird side stories then it really draws you in and also means the emotional moments in the main story hit harder because you've invested in your version of Arthur.

Sadly R* seem to only care about the online aspect and I have no interest in that as it seems to attract grade A cretins so I sold my copy as soon as I'd 100%ed the single player aspect.

For me it would probably make my top 10 games of all time purely because I really did lose myself in its open world and just marvelled at how "right" it all felt.

13. Kainz

Capodecina

Rockstar throughout their history have proven that they suck at decent UI, Online and gameplay elements like combat/shooting. Don't think I've ever seen any game excel in those areas sadly.

It is disheartening to see them produce classics like GTAIV with a ton of quality dlc, to where we are now. Although truth be told, that was due to a massive multi million $ cash injection from Microsoft back in the x360 days.

14. Amatsubu

Mobster

It's absolutely a 10/10 considering the quality of most other games and a big technical achievement. Controls are a bit clunky but the combat itself is still fun and visually impressive. It just takes a bit of getting used to, the animations during shootouts and their overall feel are very good. Just R* tanky controls, they just don't seem to be able to make them better.

Besides, a 10/10 game doesn't have to be perfect. For example, Witcher 3 was getting 9's and 10's everywhere and the combat was subpar.

RDR2 does plenty right besides combat.

15. McGray

Mobster

I only got as far as the first town before ditching it.

I have no idea what people see in this game apart from the visuals?

16. Kainz

Capodecina

As I said, Chapter 2 ie the first town of Valentine is where the game actually really begins. Chapter 1 is just an overblown tutorial and a dull one at that to be honest. The game is just silly immersive because the world is so well crafted for those who enjoy exploration. If you enjoy games like Skyrim, Witcher etc then you'll likely enjoy this. The humour and attention to detail with all the characters and the events surrounding you are equally spot on.

I find it very relaxing to play.

17. TheVoice

Capodecina

Yep, pretty much as above. The attention to detail and the environmental design is probably some of the best in any game ever. The map is astonishingly huge by the the time you're at the end of the story (albeit large sections feel quite underused) and there's plenty of stuff to do beyond the missions just by exploring and being curious. Hell, I keep finding things along routes that I know I've used frequently, because I just haven't noticed them before or been looking in the right direction.

It's not perfect, for instance I'm frustrated that so much of the good equipment, ammo etc requires an awful lot of hunting just to get the right pelts or ingredients to then go crafting, made worse by higher-capacity satchels (enabling you to carry more of said resources) being an item you have to craft in the first place. It's silly that I can have $10,000+ in cash yet can't buy some animal fat anywhere to craft explosive bullets. It becomes impossible to keep track of what pelts, ingredients etc you need as there's seemingly no way of tracking them as there would be in RPGs etc.

The controls are fiddly and clunky at times too, and I guarantee that there is nobody who's played it who hasn't shouted "Get into ****ing cover!" whilst playing it.

18. mid_gen

Sgarrista

The controls and UI are a mess, it's not an open world game at all, more a walking simulator with occasional shooting galleries. This all annoyed me at launch and I stopped playing after a few hours.

I've come back to it recently, and enjoyed just playing it for what it is, some pretty visuals and an interesting set of characters telling a story....if you just sit back and enjoy the ride it's pretty decent.

All the open world stuff, crafting etc is totally pointless. You can waltz through the game with the crappiest rusty old gun you can find, unless you really like playing dress up there's not a lot of point doing any of the busywork.

19. TheVoice

Capodecina

It definitely is.

20. JAYZ303

Gangster

RDR was my favourite game, maybe of all time. I refuse to buy a console just to play RDR 2. I'll wait and hope they bring it out on PC.