Red Dead Redemption 2

Soldato
Yes, I've just reached the first camp so hopefully have completed the tutorial now. I've recently completed Gears 5 and would consider that to be a much better looking game with great optimisation and performance, it hasn't been a nice experience to be back knob twiddling to get decent performance.

I've passed your made up performance figure on to my lawyers, they'll be in touch without prejudice.

Soldato
I've checked and I can leave the FPS limiter off and gsync will work but only if I have vsync enabled in game. Very smooth now.

What the actual **** is it with the save system? I just spent 10 minutes driving the coach into the town, reached the marker on the map and the next stage of the mission starts. I quit and reload and I'm back at camp.

???

Soldato
The save system is one of the worst parts and it's very lazy of R* to use this method. You can't save mid mission or even just as it begins.
Most of them are fairly short though and cut scenes can be skipped (not recommended as it really adds to the story).

And wait till you get the mission complete notification before doing anything else.

Soldato
Yes, I've just reached the first camp so hopefully have completed the tutorial now. I've recently completed Gears 5 and would consider that to be a much better looking game with great optimisation and performance, it hasn't been a nice experience to be back knob twiddling to get decent performance.

I've passed your made up performance figure on to my lawyers, they'll be in touch without prejudice.

Now I went straight from gears 5 to RDR2 and I thought gears wasn’t great graphically, very good at times with some nice lighting but imo RDR2 is better. Good tip reference g sync as I do get micro stutter playing RDR2.

Soldato
Dunno why but this game hasn't really grabbed me. I actually find it a choir to play! :eek:

I mean I appreciate the quality, just dont find it fun. In it's defense I haven't had much time to sit down with it and maybe played no more than 4hrs so far.

The last two games I've played I really enjoyed (Odyssey and GEARS 5) But since completing those I havent been interested in the PC despite RDR2 installed and ready to go.

Last edited:
Soldato
@opethdisciple I agree 100%. I can see why the game is popular, but I fear it might not grab me. The save system is making me apprehensive to start a mission in case I don't get time to complete it. It means I'm trying to ensure my final act each play through is to return to camp and sleep. That's becoming really tedious due to the lack of fast travel, another stunning omission.

It might be one of those that I pick up after several months due to having nothing else, and then power through it.

Soldato
Fast travel is unlocked in camp but only works one way. Another method is to use trains or stagecoach.

I have rolling saves and anyways save before starting any mission. Be careful as sometimes they activiate due to proximity to quest giver.

Associate
As said there's a sort of basic fast travel with limited locations that you can access by paying for the upgrade for Dutch's tent in the camp and getting the map, honestly I don't think it's worth it though... personally I'd leave upgrading his tent to the very last.

I think it's definitely a much slower paced game than what people are used to and I feel like you have to be someone who enjoys taking their time just enjoying the scenery to really mesh well with the game. The other option is to go and commit lots of crimes in every location and become a total outlaw, that should provide a little bit more action for people who don't find the casual and relaxed feel of the game fun.

Ree

Ree

Associate
am constantly manually saving after i do anything at all but i do agree they should've let us save checkpoints during missions.

Man of Honour
I think it's definitely a much slower paced game than what people are used to and I feel like you have to be someone who enjoys taking their time just enjoying the scenery to really mesh well with the game. The other option is to go and commit lots of crimes in every location and become a total outlaw, that should provide a little bit more action for people who don't find the casual and relaxed feel of the game fun.

I think that ^this is a big factor in things. For some reason a lot of people have been caught out by the slow paced nature of the game. Its a game which is best enjoyed by really immersing yourself in the gameworld, don't run/rush places, walk everywhere, live and breathe the gameworld. The missus and I are over 200 hours played now in the online mode and we've barely even started single player, its been immense fun. The missus says its one of the best games she has ever played and its my choice for my game of the year this year. We walk everywhere, we ride slowly side by side (because after all, people don't run and gallop everywhere in reality), we sit and travel and live the gameworld. I use pretty basic revolvers and repeaters and wont upgrade to the higher automatic weapons because that's not how I want to play, I want more of a traditional cowboy set of equipment.

Now, of course, it should be pointed out that the game wont be for everything, for some people it will be the worst game of the year rather than the best, but that's fine. Not every game can appeal to everyone, there are plenty of folks out there who didn't like games like Witcher 3, Skyrim, Diablo, StarCraft, Civilisation and so on, games which are considered truly great games. Cant please everyone all of the time.

ne0

ne0

Associate
Comparing this game to Gears 5 graphically lmao! I stopped playing Gears 5 half way through as it was just awful imo. The graphics were really sub-par too. How anyone can compare it to RDR2 graphically is beyond me as the latter is just way way way beyond anything else out right now. Maybe it depends on what kind of rig you have as to what your experience is like but imo this game blows any other game's graphics out of the water.

Soldato
That's becoming really tedious due to the lack of fast travel, another stunning omission.
Go to the map and double click your destination so you get a highlighted route then go to cinematic view and you will automatically follow the route. It's not insta travel but you can set your horse to gallop and sit back and watch the scenery as you auto travel to your destination.

Back
Top Bottom