Red Dead Redemption 2

Soldato
Er, no Windows 10. You realise how well a i7 Sandybridge, and 16GB holds out these days given that games can't even make use of that ram yet? I could equally laugh at your ancient GPU that is in the same series as mine but I don't.
whilst i agree no one should be hounding you for having a PC from 2011, Its your choice if it does what you want it to do thats great! make use of it.

but
1. "16GB holds out these days given that games can't even make use of that ram yet?" is totally incorrect. 16GB has been used by various games depending on settings & resolution, Horizon often goves over 16GB As does Red Dead Redemption if you on max settings.

2nd your pc is clearly is showing signs of age, i'm not sure if because its badly setup or you think that a pc from 2011 will play rdr2 without issues its already barely scrapping minimum specs

did you just try it as a chance it play ok?
Red Dead Redemption 2 PC System Requirements - Rockstar Games Customer Support

Associate
Er, no Windows 10. You realise how well a i7 Sandybridge, and 16GB holds out these days given that games can't even make use of that ram yet? I could equally laugh at your ancient GPU that is in the same series as mine but I don't.

IPC and architecture plays a massive role in it though. Not saying it’s a bad CPU, but it’s nowhere near any recent CPU. It can struggle with modern games. You’d have to benchmark it to really see what’s limiting your system.

Soldato
You realise how well a i7 Sandybridge, and 16GB holds out these days given that games can't even make use of that ram yet?

It doesn't, at least not what you seem to think it does.

I could equally laugh at your ancient GPU that is in the same series as mine but I don't.

I'm not laughing at you, rather your shock that RDR2 doesn't run on 10+ yr old hardware, only to try and convince the rest of us that the person processing your refund reinforces your opinion. The 10 series GTX isn't 10yrs old so you have that, and is still a good performing card today. That Sandy Bridge is right at the bottom of the suggested minimum requirements for RDR2, I'm going to assume since your PC is from 2011 it's running on DDR3 ram too. Your mobo is probably PCIe 2.0 too, is that enough to play a game like RDR2?

You "could" quite cheaply get a mobo/cpu/ram bundle for under £300 from the MM and significantly upgrade your PC if you want to continue playing recent titles.

My sig hasn't been updated, and is out dated :)

Soldato
Firstly, I'm not denying the PC isn't ancient. I know it very well it but it handles everything well today just fine as I'm hardly playing at 4k here, just 1080p. The Division 2, Days Gone, Ass Creed Valhalla, Outer Worlds are some of my heaviest 'recent' titles and they absolutely fly.

I've been running the thing OC'd on water at 5.1ghz since Day1 and literally had zero issues in every game in my collection. That said I rarely have the time to play games these days and today's AAA titles don't even make me interested outright so the need to upgrade is non-existent.

RDR2 runs totally fine. I'm running on High/Ultra for almost every setting barring shadows at 55fps in St.Denis, which I am more than happy with. I reached the end of Chapter 2 before I concluded that I lost too much time to random CTD's to bother continuing. So I've moved the PS4 Pro beside the PC and am playing it on that, 3hrs in and not a single crash obviously.

Soldato
clearly it doesnt.

RDR2 runs totally fine. I'm running on High/Ultra for almost every setting barring shadows at 55fps in St.Denis, which I am more than happy with. I reached the end of Chapter 2 before I concluded that I lost too much time to random CTD's to bother continuing. So I've moved the PS4 Pro beside the PC and am playing it on that, 3hrs in and not a single crash obviously.

even medium/high end pcs today struggle at high/ultra even at 1080p. cleary your expecting to much from your pc.

you can unfortunately put days gone, Division 2 & Red Dead in the same list.

RDR2 has 8000x more AI & maths equations (people actually do real tasks in this game) which clearly your OC is having trouble with & is either not 100% stable or not up to the job.

Soldato
Wow such snobbery last few posts, a Sandybridge i7 2600k and 16gb of ram will run RDR2 perfectly fine.
Perfectly fine to say that I agree, but you cannot say RDR2 runs perfectly fine in one sentence then in the next say I refunded it due to CTD issues. then clearly it dont run perfectly fine.

Associate
Wow such snobbery last few posts, a Sandybridge i7 2600k and 16gb of ram will run RDR2 perfectly fine.

Perfectly fine is a bit of a reach though, otherwise why would anyone upgrade? It should be runnable, but if you’re pushing things then it’s on the edge. You can’t expect a CPU from 2013 to be competitive with current games.

Soldato
When RDR2 was released I played it just fine on a Sandybridge i7-2600k, 16gb ram and a GTX 1070.

It's a perfectly fine playing experience, anyone who says otherwise it's just snobbery.

I have since upgraded to a pretty decent 5800x build but that's only because I play PUBG at a relatively competitive level, so I can play that 1440p max settings at 144fps.

Competitive and single player are completely different things, competitive it really does make a difference. Anyone mocking someone else's build to play a single player game is just being a snob, if the person is enjoying their experience then it doesn't matter what they are running it on.

Soldato
From personal experience upgrading from an Intel 2700K system to a AMD 3700 based system the difference in games was definitely noticeable, not in outright peak FPS which remained roughly the same (GPU limited) but games just felt much smoother. I imagine the higher IPC and core count allowed 1% lows and average FPS to improve resulting in a better, smoother overall experience. Games were still totally playable on my Sandy Bridge system but the overall experience definitely improved with newer hardware, probably not enough to be the sole justification for an upgrade though and Kudos for those still rocking overclocked Sandy/Ivybridge chips.

Soldato
Just to add to this debate I ran a whole bunch of games on a significantly worse i7 860 @ 3.6GHz, which would be destroyed by a 2600 at 5.1GHz

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...rn-gaming-on-a-10-year-old-platform.18870290/

RDR2 runs fine on these old CPUs - the game has to run on the Xbox One CPU don't forget. Would I choose to? Hell no, but it gives 99% of the experience of my 3700X on RDR2 in particular.

Soldato
i7 6820 is very different to a 2500 series thats 4 generations on its own
Sorry, been away for a day whilst I had iPhone battery issues.

I came here asking how crashy the game is and er yes it is a crashy game. It is absolutely sod all to do with my old, but rock solid rig that runs far more demanding games. Want demanding? Try having a couple of thousand zombies in Days Gone chasing you down. Turning to the internet shows a slew of issues exactly akin to mine with even current hardware so yes - from my perspective it is a buggy game. The more updates Rockstar pile ontop of their games, the more bloated and messy they become.
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=RDR2+crash+to+desktop+no+error&ia=web

I couldn't care less what you think of the CPU or my build - the fact that it runs current gen games just fine at 1080p is more than enough for me. This thing has been at 5.1ghz from day one due to it being a great OCUK bin and that has helped greatly in games for years. Now until the next GTA comes out, which normally is the reason I upgrade in the first place I'll stick to this because AAA gaming isn't all that these days to me.

Soldato
Calling an 11 year old overclocked PC rock solid that crashes to desktop isn’t something I would call rock solid. There’s posts saying they ran this on even worse hardware so the problem more than likely lies with you.

I would suggest you try running it without the overclock but you’ve made it clear you don’t like what anybody else says that disagrees with your own opinion.

Soldato
I don't think anyone is really having a go at your system kainz, but just because it's stable in a multitude of games thus far, doesn't mean one can assume complete stability across all games.

For me the game hasn't shown any issues, but my system is totally different to yours, I would suggest though either backing off the overclock to 5.0 or add a touch more voltage to it if possible.

My own experience with my own 2500k was much like yours, It was solid for a few years at 5.1, but I started getting some crashes in Arma 3 I believe at first which progressed to other games, I added a little more voltage and It was solid again.

Incredible cpu and while things are a million times better now, it's still capable cpu I'd imagine for the most part.

Caporegime
At 11 years old, there is bound to be some degradation on an overclocked CPU even if it's been under water all that time. Certain titles stress your system in ways that others don't. I've had overclocks in the past that would pass every stress test and benchmark but then crash in just one title, and dialling it back or bumping the voltage resolved it.

Not having a go at your system, it's great to see people absolutely getting their money's worth out of hardware in this day and age where a high-end GPU costs the same amount as the rest of the system.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom