Red Dwarf XI and XII

Soldato
Well so far I think episode 2 and 3 have been really good, episode 1 wasn't bad, it was just different. It was always going to be a hard ask to capture the magic and energy of the old days, but it's definitely had its moments.

My main problem with the new series seems to be with scene direction and camera use, things I don't normally ever think of, but I feel it could be smoother. Perhaps its the editing or something. There's been a few scenes when they're explaining things and it chops and changes too much and makes it more confusing than it needs to be. Or jokes not being delivered as well as they should have been due to strange direction decisions.

Also I've noticed a tendency to linger on certain jokes and sketches. The Red Dwarf I remember had the wacky storyline dictate events scene to scene with the jokes accompanying a long the way. It was always strangely logical in a goofy sci-fi way. But I've noticed many scenes being directed by the jokes themselves, a lot of chop and change simply in order to deliver a joke. It's not necessarily bad, its just different from what I'm used to with Red Dwarf.

The star so far has been Danny, it's like he's not aged at all :eek: Kryten has also been really good. I kinda feel they've given the Cat some of Lister's lines at times. Lister suddenly seems smarter and more tempered than how I remember him. He's always been preachy, but he had an idiots charm about him and it feels like he's lost that a bit. I dunno, maybe it's just Craig not capturing Lister like he used to. Perhaps Lloyd Mullaney has rubbed off on Lister a little bit. Chris' had his moments too, sometimes he looks a little jaded and doesn't deliver those Rimmer moments like he can, but he's gotten better in each episode IMO.

Looking forward to the next 3 episodes :D It's great to see them still going.

Associate
I think the duplicate rimmer from early series was far better. This one in ep4 was poor.

Rimmerworld? Yeah, that one is an absolute classic.

I'm really enjoying seeing this back on TV. The feeling it has of the old series 3-5 is definitely good. Kryten looks really strange though. I thought what with having a fake head on, he'd look more of less identical to how he did, but there's something about him which seems off.

Soldato
Didn't think the 1st episode was very good but it's definitely got better since.

There's a few "odd" things with the way the episodes are made though, the camera has a hand-held shakey look all though-out ep2 which is awful, Kryten's costume/head looks to be much lower quality & Lister is now much smarter than he should be.

Back
Top Bottom