Red Orchestra (2) : Heroes of Stalingrad

Soldato
It turned into an 8.3gb download! :eek: :mad:

Cant say im impressed by that :o

lol no idea why it would do that might as well try a fresh install maybe?

How many here still actively play the game? I must admit I havn't touched it since BF3 as to be honest once I'd got both axis and allies rifles to level 50 I seemed to get less enjoyment trying to level up the smg's etc, and the maps were becoming a bit samey too. There is a good game in there still but it lacks in variety I feel at the moment. Though if it starts to download a multi gig patch I will probably tell steam not to bother until they release the pacific theatre addon or some other expansion.

I have only been on few times since BF3 came out I still enjoy the game but it seems the numbers have died down, once the DLC arrives I hope it picks up again

Caporegime
This has been the worst purchase i've ever made, but now i've got this new system it runs at high frames all the time yet it's still god ugly. Servers are dead too

Associate
This has been the worst purchase i've ever made, but now i've got this new system it runs at high frames all the time yet it's still god ugly. Servers are dead too

complainers-whiners-cryers-216x300.jpg

Soldato
How many here still actively play the game? I must admit I havn't touched it since BF3 as to be honest once I'd got both axis and allies rifles to level 50 I seemed to get less enjoyment trying to level up the smg's etc, and the maps were becoming a bit samey too. There is a good game in there still but it lacks in variety I feel at the moment. Though if it starts to download a multi gig patch I will probably tell steam not to bother until they release the pacific theatre addon or some other expansion.
I doubt many. They strayed too far from the original trying to expand the audience, and have ended up with a game nobody likes.

The vanilla game is a runny shart.

Hopefully now that the SDK is out, mods will fix everything that the developers are too stupid and arrogant to do themselves.

Associate
Hey guys,

I got RO2 for xmas and no servers are showing :( I did the first single player thing to make sure it wasn't because I didn't do it.

Here's some more info..

GameVersion=1.0.0.12
Patch=18

Punkbuster is installed and tested fine (I use it for BF3 also). I reinstalled the Micrsoft Redistributables too.

I have opened ports for Steam on my router and made sure it's all OK in Windows firewall. I have also disabled Avast antivirus.

I have also downloaded the 2 Steam server files and put them in the correct directory, still the same.

When I try to connect from Steam, I find a server and double click. It loads RO2 and the splash screens then at the main menu it says "paused" in small red writing in the center of the screen.

Any help, please!!! :(

Associate
Hey guys,

I got RO2 for xmas and no servers are showing :( I did the first single player thing to make sure it wasn't because I didn't do it.

I have also downloaded the 2 Steam server files and put them in the correct directory, still the same.

When I try to connect from Steam, I find a server and double click. It loads RO2 and the splash screens then at the main menu it says "paused" in small red writing in the center of the screen.

Any help, please!!! :(

I've been having that problem since the beta! :(

I use http://www.gametracker.com/search/ro2/60/ to fined servers and enter the ip address in the console.

Associate
I just tried to enter an IP address a min ago. It goes to map loading screen with man running in the bottom right, yet it still says "paused" in red in the middle of the screen :(

Edit: one server connected! although no players, trying another now!

..nope, tried 3 others, does the loading screen with paused in the middle :(

Last edited:
Soldato
I went on this the other morning, was shocked to see about 200 people online in total, is this game dead or was my server browser just bugging out?

Associate
Figured I would revive this thread since theres some nice updates in beta atm. They decided to make a "classic" version of the game to give a more RO1 (Ostfront) style feel for people who missed that from RO2 (there were a lot of complaints about this). This mode will have no levelling (although you can still gain rank just won't affect this mode), fixed weapon levels and realistic unlocks only, more sway/sight movement, less zoom (iron sight zoom only), no bandaging (so full damage on hits, no half damage then bleed), leg wound effects, no fast iron sights while sprinting, RO1 style sprinting and stamina, stamina affects sway more, stances affect sway more, no spawn on squad leaders, no lockdown, more bolt action rifles. ETC. This isn't the full list and its a proper beta with them listening to feedback on the forum (get involved if you want to discuss aspects). The first part of classic mode has been put into current beta along with a new map

The original server versions are also getting updated (Standard and Realism), with general improvements being implemented across all versions.

Some stuff about classic from a dev, then underneath that the actual beta patch notes released last week:

It has been a busy week here at the Tripwire HQ. Crashes fixed, bugs replicated, plans finalized and more. What plans have been finalized you ask? Why those "RO Classic" ones and what we are doing moving forward.

As I've previously told you in the weeks ahead we will restart the RO 2 beta for anybody who owns RO 2. We will be using this to test out the first of our upcoming maps (which I'll talk more about at a later date) and the changes we are making to the game for "RO Classic". The exact start date is a bit fluid still and what will be in it (the map or RO Classic, or perhaps even Online Campaign) first is still up in the air.

But let us talk about our initial plans for RO Classic and what we are putting into the beta for feedback. Our goal is to provide a experience more similar to that of RO 1 while retaining the improvements to RO 2. We are not trying to create an exact RO 1 copy. The reasoning behind this is both community feedback and our own take on gameplay. Many of the changes from RO 1 that went into RO 2 were because we felt they were improvements to the mechanics in RO 1, they were an addition to the realism aspect, and a mix of our own taste in gameplay here in the office.

Now as one thing became clear during the late stages of the beta and post launch, there is a group of players who disagree with some of the design choices. While we wished we had had time to address them closer to launch, we ran into the dreaded performance issues that we had to track down which prevented more people from enjoying the game. Now while that isn't quite over, we have come along way on that front since launch and now have time to focus our coding attention to this new mode and other gameplay refinements.

The list below is what we will be doing initially for the new mode and we well observe and take feedback from there as we move forward with it:

"RO Classic"

This mode will be an additional mode complimenting Normal and Realism. We have chosen to to this route as there are players who enjoy Realism as it currently exists.

The mode, while featuring no weapon or player upgrades or perks, will be ranked. So players who do enjoy receiving those upgrades and perks can play in this mode and earn them for the other modes. We feel this will allow players to experiment with the mode who might not normally play it, and feel rewarded for their play.

Loadouts and weapon availability will be more similar to what could be found in RO 1. Towards that end, the Squad Leader will be loosing his access to sub-machine guns and semi-automatic rifles to bring the ratio in line. The weapons selectable by each class will also more closely reflect that of RO 1 with PPSH w/ drum mag being the standard loadout and many of the other weapons not having access to their upgrades or limited to a specific upgrade (such as weapons with bayonets for that functionality)

This is the list we are currently looking at:

PPSH w/drum mag and select fire (Level 3)
Kar98 w/bayonet (Level 2)
Kar98 Sniper w/4X scope (Level 1)
Mosin Nagant Sniper w/3.5X scope (Level 1)
G41 Sniper w/4X Scope (Level 2)
SVT40 Sniper w/3.5X scope (Level 1)
MP40 with single 32 round mag (Level 1)
MKB42 with bayonet (no scope) (Level 1)
P38 Pistol (Level 1)
C96 w/10 round mag (Level 1)
MG34 w/50 round drum (Level 1)
MG34 Tripod (no ranking anyway)
PTRS (Level 1, no ranking on this anyway)
Pzb 784 (r) (Level 1, no ranking on this anyway)
MN 9130 w/bayonet (Level 2)
G41 (W) w/bayonet (Level 2)
SVT40 w/bayo (Level 3)
AVT40 w/bayo (Level 2)
TT33 (Level 1)
M1895 (Level 1)
DP28 (Level 1)
Maxim 1910 (no ranking anyway)
All other weapons and equipment as normally given (binocs, satchels, smoke nades, etc)

We are also looking at the inclusion of the Elite Assault role back into the game in case the creator of a map wants the MKB/AVT to be available.

But this wouldn't be a "RO Classic" mode with just weapon changes. We also have an initial list of functionality changes and removal as well. This list is designed to emulate the "feel" of RO 1 by making distance engagements a bit more of an uncertainty. You can find that list below. This is once again a look at the initial changes we are going to make for the mode and take feedback on in beta:

Removal of peripheral action indicators
Removal of spawn on Squad Leader
Removal of the bleeding system (Player will always take 100% of the damage to an area on the shot and not half then bleed the rest out like in the current system)
Players will have a movement speed penalty after being shot in the feet
Stamina will have a much greater effect on weapon sway and recoil
Stance will have an increased effect on weapon sway/recoil (with the default standing state having more sway then the current game modes)
Removal of "controlled breathing" zoom, but retaining the functionality to help steady the weapon as well as the slight iron sight zoom
Stamina will recharge at a slower rate
No AI Tank Gunnery
No Lockdown

Now these changes will also be joining a host of changes and refinements we are making on the current systems as well. Several of these are still having their designs tweaked and updated so I will hold off on going further on these til a later date.

Now some might wonder why some of the other oft requested features are not readily on this list, such as player momentum. The reason for this is the momentum system in RO 2 is the same system as RO 1 with a small tweak of player friction at the start and ending phase to make it feel more responsive. So before we go and start making changes to this we want to see how the other changes play out first in getting players the experience they want.

We look forward to play testing these changes with you in the coming weeks.

Now to those uninterested in the "RO Classic" mode as I mentioned before we continue to move forward on refinements to existing systems as well as work on bug fixing and crashes. We actually feel we've nailed down the vast majority of crashes now, but have hit a snag releasing a stand alone binary patch to address it. It looks like it will take a content update (IE: several hundred meg patch if not 3 gigs, not 18 meg binary patch) and as we don't like doing those without stuffing as much into them as possible, so it might be held off longer.

We are also digging heavily into the network issues that some players are reporting as well as issues with the server browser. You might see us once again (like we did this past week) request player help to monitor something as we work on them.

Have a great weekend everyone!

RO Classic -
A new game mode has been added which has been modified to play more similar to the original Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45. Not all RO Classic functionality is complete yet, and we will be looking for community feedback on changes they would like to see made.

General Changes:

Players can still gain experience and level up, but when playing in classic mode these levels do not grant any bonuses for class or weapon.
Role and weapon loadouts are modified to closely match Red Orchestra 1 loadouts. This means fewer MkBs, AVTs, and SMGs are available
Interface changes - added an RO1 style compass to the HUD. No peripheral action indicators.
Uses standard realism mode as a base, and adds additional functionality on top of that
Most Classic mode settings have been added to webadmin and can be toggled on/off for Custom mode
Removed spawn on squad leader
No lockdown
No Killcam

Weapons use historically accurate load outs and upgrades are disabled. The following weapon versions are used:

PPSH w/drum mag and select fire
Kar98 w/bayonet
Kar98 Sniper w/4X scope
Mosin Nagant Sniper w/3.5X scope
G41 Sniper w/4X Scope
SVT40 Sniper w/3.5X scope
MP40 with single 32 round mag
MkB42 with bayonet (no scope)
P38 Pistol
C96 w/10 round mag
MG34 w/50 round drum
MG34 Tripod
PTRS
Pzb 784 (r)
MN 9130 w/bayonet
G41 (W) w/bayonet
SVT40 w/bayo
AVT40 w/bayo
TT33
M1895 without silencer
DP28
Maxim 1910
All other weapons and equipment as normally given (binocs, satchels, smoke nades, etc)

Infantry Changes:

Stamina usage and regeneration are modified to closely match RO1 functionality
Player movement speed has been modified to match Red Orchestra 1 player movement speed. The sprinting speed is considerably slower to closely match the speed based on RO1 maps scale.
Sprinting is modified to closely match RO1 functionality. The player sprints at a constant speed until running out of stamina, then stops sprinting until regaining some stamina
The FOV zoom while using focus/controlled breathing is disabled
Movement speed penalty when shot in the legs or feet (same as new realism mode)
The player damage model is much more hardcore to match RO1 functionality. Players take damage instantly instead of bleeding some of the damage out over time. There is no bandaging or bleeding (although slow deaths from wounds are still possible).
Stamina has a much greater effect on weapon sway and recoil (same as new realism mode)
The FOV zoom while using focus/controlled breathing is disabled

Weapon Changes:

Iron sight breathing and sway are greatly increased
Weapons take longer to go into iron sights and match exactly the iron sight zoom in speed of RO1
You cannot interrupt sprint by going into iron sights
Weapons transitioning out of sprinting takes twice as long to more closely match RO1's sprinting transitions
The weapon is unable to fire until the transition from sprinting is mostly complete. This more closely matches RO1 functionality and should encourage less "run and gun" play.

Non Classic Changes

Gameplay

Fixed overtime activating without contested objective
Added new exclusive key bindings to split up the 'Interaction' key for 'Use', 'Bandage', and 'Cover'. Holding the 'Cover (Hold)' key will automatically attach to the first available cover.
Bots no longer effect auto team balancing

UI

The server browser is now more responsive. This is especially true on routers that enforce a low number of connections.
Fixed overhead map problem after changing roles from Commander
Fixed text showing that both teams are attacking on ready up screen for Countdown Gumrak
New key bindings added to the options menu (see gameplay above)
The ammo resupply icon is now greyed out during the resupply cooldown
Added a list of current squad members to the tactical view
Fixed overhead player names wrapping at the edge of the screen
Scoreboard - modified color highlighting, own player name is always visible
Fixed enemy spotted bugs relating to tanks such as the icon appearing outside of the map boundaries.

Stability

Potential fix the game being stuck on the splash screen or having very long initial load time

Additional Changes that were in the last patch

Stamina has a greater effect on weapon sway/breathing in all game modes
Added RO Classic mode settings to webadmin
Cleaned up many unused/unimplemented webadmin settings that were cluttering the system.
Added tooltips to many webadmin settings to make them easier to understand
Added a setting to disable lockdown to webadmin
Setup realism mode to not allow killcam

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=76827

The game feels 10x better in classic mode imo.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll have to give it another go, the thing that killed my raging boner for this game was the performance.

Even on low settings, it ran like total trash.

Which is bad considering i can run BF3 all on max settings, which is without a doubt.. a much more demanding game.

Permabanned
Didnt get on this game because of my continued hatred of the UT3 engine.

Its the ugliest game engine ever, it only works in sci fi settings where the glare doesn't look out of place but in RO 2 it just looks hideous.

Tribes Ascend is also almost as bad.

Back
Top Bottom