Red Sea / Houthi rebels situation

Man of Honour
The way I see this happening, I doubt this will amount to much more than sustained targeted air strikes, possibly with minimal SF/HUMINT on the ground working intelligence to build up target lists. I dont see this becoming another full on boots on ground deal.
Wants to stay reasonably chill though, I'm off out to that region in coming weeks for a short trip with work. If they can kindly chill the **** out till I get back, that'd be grand!

As you say this is more like when used to launch air strikes on Iraq in the 90's; no boots on the ground (well except Special Ops who have probably been there for ages anyway)

Caporegime
Seems rather inefficient to me for us to waste 100s of millions of dollars to mildly disturb an operation flinging drones/missiles that cost magnitudes less to make/launch and all just to ensure people in the region look at Iran in agreement. Must be really embarrassing for the US having to respond at all to the Saudi's failure to contain their southern neighbour, I wonder what Riyadh thinks of all this?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, no matter what people think trade and manufacturing with China is a massive part of all Western Economies.... there is massive reliance on goods from China, and China is reliant on trade with the west for its continued growth into what will be probably the biggest super power in the world within 5-10 years I think... businesses within the UK have seen prices rise about 250% since all this has kicked off... so the west had to do something to avoid even more inflation and worsen the cost of living issues that are massively effecting peoples lives I guess?
Plus it is an election year in both the U.S and the U.K. The last thing both current governments want is inflationary pressure caused by disruption to commerce in the Red Sea.

Soldato
Seems rather inefficient to me for us to waste 100s of millions of dollars to mildly disturb an operation flinging drones/missiles that cost magnitudes less to make/launch and all just to ensure people in the region look at Iran in agreement.
Bigger picture! This is a strategically important waterway, that must be kept open with freedom of movement for commercial vessels. Look at what happened when the Suez was blocked the other year, utter carnage!

Don
Seems rather inefficient to me for us to waste 100s of millions of dollars to mildly disturb an operation flinging drones/missiles that cost magnitudes less to make/launch and all just to ensure people in the region look at Iran in agreement.
yer guess we will see depends what happens next, like what was mentioned above there will undoubtedly spec ops involved at some stage, but I'm doubtful that it will have any meaningful impact when you are talking like a £200 drones... HMS Diamond must have fire 5-6 millions worth of ammo at probably £2000 worth of drones... its the issue that is being faced right now and why lazer defence and offence against drones is being developed to combat these types of attack.

Stelly

Don
Plus it is an election year in both the U.S and the U.K. The last thing both current governments want is inflationary pressure caused by disruption to commerce in the Red Sea.
exactly... both are worried about the adverse effect on the economy, with this, and the war in Ukraine the pressure is real on politician to not have a global recession.

Stelly

Soldato
Apparently all the stuff underground in Yemen so not sure what damage will be done really.
Sounds like they're having a good go...
Sky:

Submarines, ships and jets used to strike Yemen - sources​

Our US partner NBC News has been told by two officials that US and British forces are targeting multiple Houthi locations in Yemen with fighter jets and navy destroyers.
They said ships fired Tomahawk cruise missiles, while Reuters cites other officials as saying that submarines are also being used.
We saw airspace clear earlier, and widespread suggestions in Saudi media that "many" British and American jets were noted as entering Yemeni airspace.

Don
All this really achieves is delay, only way to stop it is to invade Iran and that isn't happening.
I mean, I wouldnt be surprised if all the instability within the middle east is the work of Putin to put pressure on Wester economies to stop aiding Ukraine and help ease Russia's goal... seems to be working as well as a lot of focus has shifted to this issue...

Stelly

Don
Well Putin is a master strategist! Ukraine really has fallen down the news schedules since October
Makes sense doesnt it, the world thinks Putin has gone to Iran, Western thinks its just to negotiate for weapons, but really its to get Iran to talk to their allies about putting pressure on trade on its way into the Suez Canal... its more like a luke warm war than a second cold war at the moment :)

Stelly

Don
Well I suppose if the Iranian weapons exports could be diverted to the hootys (sic) instead of to Russia's stockpiles it could be a useful strategy for Ukraine.
Putin knew he wouldn't win taking on Ukraine and the West so make sense that he gets them fighting a war on two fronts... and get Iran to also poke Hamas to cause trouble there as well...

Stelly

Soldato
Putin knew he wouldn't win taking on Ukraine and the West so make sense that he gets them fighting a war on two fronts... and get Iran to also poke Hamas to cause trouble there as well...

Stelly

It is strange, we have carrier fleet actions against some desert Arabs armed with drones and some missiles but against the mighty Russia, a trench warfare attrition battle ongoing without a forsee able conclusion.

Back
Top Bottom