Red Sea / Houthi rebels situation

Soldato
Yeh so noble.

Iraq - Wrong
Afghanistan - Wrong
Libya - Wrong (what a mess)
Syria - Wrong, tried to do it again and public were p'd off and denied Cameron from air strikes. White helmet false flag chemical attacks - Yet our superb intelligence thought it was Assad which it was , but I'm a tin foil hat conspiracy loon ain't I.

Fixed.

Soldato
Seems we can police any other waters in the world apart from our own.

The problem is the optics of using lethal force on civilians. But by the power of magic, a minimum of two vetos and the USA giving dirty looks to anyone that could meaningfully punish us, forthcoming civilian casualties in a bombing campaign will be denied, accused of being legitimate targets, accused of standing next to legitimate targets and what you gonna do about it even if we bomb a wedding/hospital/school huh. That's right, nothing.

Soldato
I suppose now we sit back and see what the response from the houthis / Iran will be.

Not going to happen, as much as this is about pirates it's really the Americans trying to provoke Iran.

The American ars itching to get them, and unless Iran wants to end up a smouldering land mass, Iran isn't going to do anything.

Soldato
Sure air strikes against Houthi rebels is one thing and at best all it will achieve is a brief period of stability in the red sea. Once again we are dealing with the symptom not the problem (Iran).

Last edited:
Soldato
Sure air strikes against Houthi rebels is one thing and at best all it will achieve is a brief period of stability in the red sea. Once again we are dealing with the symptom not the problem (Iran).
Strikes against Houthi weapons / facilities and help Yemen Government regain control of the country.

I'm not sure striking Iran directly would be a good idea.

Soldato
The playbook's already been written. Videos of civilian casualties, mass propaganda campaign claiming to be the victim and take it to the UN.

No one cares what the UN says anymore. Everything just gets vetoed. Even when their own UN troops get attacked they do FA.

I think we are approaching the point where groups like these will end up being tactical nuked rather than troops being drawn in again. They should be afraid but they are too blinded by stupidity and think Allah will save them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Strikes against Houthi weapons / facilities and help Yemen Government regain control of the country.

I'm not sure striking Iran directly would be a good idea.

North yemen and south yemen hate each other with a passion, for all sorts of reasons. There is no way the northern yemenis will accept southern (read: arab) rule.

The northeast and south were separate countries until the early 90s when they unified. It's been wobbly, to say the least, since then.

Caporegime
North yemen and south yemen hate each other with a passion, for all sorts of reasons. There is no way the northern yemenis will accept southern (read: arab) rule.

Both North and South are majority Arab; the division is Shia/Sunni rather than Arab/non-Arab. This also explains why Saudi Arabia (Sunni) backs the former government (South/East and also Sunni), whilst Iran (Suni) backs the Houthi rebels in the Northwest.

The northeast and south were separate countries until the early 90s when they unified. It's been wobbly, to say the least, since then.

Typo? You mean Northwest not Northeast. The two states were only actually separated for around a quarter of a century, but the states divided broadly along the Sunni/Shia divide in the country.

Soldato
defending against drones is too much of a ballache, anyone attacking with drones should expect the fight to be brought to them.

It is a unsurprising next step. £1m missiles against low cost drones is not sustainable. The question is, should we be getting involved with either of these fights? The rest of the world (ex USA) isn't? I'd have been advising UK bound ships to go the long way round and letting Egypt take a lead on sorting this out as they will be losing the Suez custom.

Soldato
It is a unsurprising next step. £1m missiles against low cost drones is not sustainable. The question is, should we be getting involved with either of these fights?
When they start attacking UK boats, you're damn right we'll get involved.

Although I don't see how the Dutch always seem to get away with having us defending their ships without also playing an active role.

Back
Top Bottom