Red, Yellow, Green, Brown, Blue, Pink and Black. It's the General Snooker Thread!

Soldato
First time seeing this carbon fibre cue of mcgills, looks really strange in a snooker setting, pool I wouldn't have batted an eyelid.
Yes, agreed. I like a bit of 9 ball so not opposed to them but not used to seeing it in snooker.

I think Mark Allen tried a maple cue but obviously that doesn’t stand out as much as a carbon cue.

Caporegime
Yes, agreed. I like a bit of 9 ball so not opposed to them but not used to seeing it in snooker.

I think Mark Allen tried a maple cue but obviously that doesn’t stand out as much as a carbon cue.

Allen at one point had about 6 or 7 Parris ultimate's in his club in Antrim, he was going through one of those phases with players where the cue is to blame not the player. The maple cue was made by an Italian maker, seemed to stick with that for a season or 2 before going back to ash.

Even with ash he has his peculiarities, when he's using the rest he cues with the grain arrows pointing back to him, and cueing normally he uses the cue with the grain arrows pointing towards the ferrule. Strange but seems to work.

Soldato
First time seeing this carbon fibre cue of mcgills, looks really strange in a snooker setting, pool I wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

Im not sure how much the cue really matters, Hendry won 7 world titles with a mass produced £40 cue and spent many years crushing players with the worlds best hand made, made to measure custom cues.

I think Ken D also won the world championship with a £2 bent cue lol.

And then i have had three amazing cues and i cant play to save my life, one very similar to Barry Hawkins, one that was made for Dominic Dale and one that a pro snooker coach spent a couple of hours picking out from a rack of high end cues.

Caporegime
Im not sure how much the cue really matters, Hendry won 7 world titles with a mass produced £40 cue and spent many years crushing players with the worlds best hand made, made to measure custom cues.

I think Ken D also won the world championship with a £2 bent cue lol.

And then i have had three amazing cues and i cant play to save my life, one very similar to Barry Hawkins, one that was made for Dominic Dale and one that a pro snooker coach spent a couple of hours picking out from a rack of high end cues.

Mostly about the feel, Hendry has claimed that cues don't matter yet when his was smashed his performance dropped significantly, he swapped and changed all over the show. Quite a few players like that these days that go through cues, Stephen Maguire, Dominic Dale, Luca Brecel was chopping and changing, John Higgins is always messing with different lengths, tip sizes etc, Mark Allen as mentioned above was going through cues from different makers.

It really is weird in a game where you're in control of what the cue does, most players blame the cue and lose confidence in it, instead of blaming themselves. Snooker just has that effect on people, you can do everything the same and one minute be potting everything and the next hardly able to pot a ball. It really messes with the mind.

Back
Top Bottom