Red, Yellow, Green, Brown, Blue, Pink and Black. It's the General Snooker Thread!

Caporegime
OP
Cor, that was a rigmarole. Joe O'Connor v Matt Selt with Joe winning in the end. Discovery+ chopped their coverage off before the end which was pathetic so I was glued to the WST website but it took him ages to get over the line.

Caporegime
First round draw

Luca Brecel v David Gilbert

Robert Milkins v Pang Junxu

Ali Carter v Stephen Maguire

Shaun Murphy v Lyu Haotian

Mark Selby v Joe O'Connor

Kyren Wilson v Dominic Dale

John Higgins v Jamie Jones

Mark Allen v Robbie Williams

Judd Trump v Hossein Vafaei

Tom Ford v Ricky Walden

Zhang Anda v Jak Jones

Mark Williams v Si Jiahui

Ding Junhui v Jack Lisowski

Gary Wilson v Stuart Bingham

Barry Hawkins v Ryan Day

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Jackson Page

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking forward to this - 2 weeks of solid snooker!! Might as well enjoy it while it lasts; I won't be tuning in at god-awful hours to watch it in Saudi or China if it moves!
They're certainly laying the groundwork for it aren't they. The Crucible has a deal till 2027 for it's 50th anniversary but unless something changes between now and then I can't see them keeping it there any longer :(

Barry Hearn was a snooker man (for all his faults!) and did seem to want to keep the worlds at the Crucible, Eddie has no such affinity for the sport and has already sold Boxing down the river to the Saudis so no doubt snooker won't be far behind if they pay enough.

Caporegime
OP
If they want the prize money to approach golfing levels (which I think is what Barry Hearn wanted) then it won't do having the World Champs at The Crucible. Not enough seats and nowhere special for VIP tickets to seat. Look at them comfy sofas they have at the Riyadh event and the Masters in Ally Pally. Saudi Arabia is only +2 hours ahead at this time of year so I wouldn't mind it going there. China no way because the matches would be played at silly o'clock. The only total disaster for me would be if BBC or Discovery+ lost the rights to Sky or something.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don’t see it going anywhere. Didn’t they say last year that there’s going to be a new venue in Sheffield?

I think they have been calling on Sheffield Council to build them a serious venue upgrade.

A council statement this week read: ‘We are working with World Snooker on a new agreement for the event to remain in Sheffield.

‘We are committed to securing the tournament’s long-term future in the city. Sheffield is proud to be the home of the World Snooker Championship and looking forward to another fantastic tournament this year.’

I suppose If the Council do not give them an upgrade then Eddie will look at international venues.

Man of Honour
Personally for me (and I'm no where near old enough to remember the World Snooker not being at the Crucible) the World Snooker being there is like The Masters being at Augusta; inseparable.

Frankly I suspect most of the recent posturing is to try and pressure Sheffield council into something; I think they know how unpopular moving it would be with the fans.

As much as I think it would kill it in the UK I actually would have less issue with it being in China than Saudi; at least China has a huge following for the sport and a lot of players (well, ok cheats and fixers but there's a few!)

Caporegime
OP
Here we go! Always nice to see Hazel Irvine presenting. Even yesterday I said I wouldn't mind this going to Saudi but when you see The Crucible on your screen at this time of year, it really does give me a warm feeling inside. Long may it continue.

Soldato
Here we go! Always nice to see Hazel Irvine presenting. Even yesterday I said I wouldn't mind this going to Saudi but when you see The Crucible on your screen at this time of year, it really does give me a warm feeling inside. Long may it continue.

I think it’s got to move away, it’s too small. The new indoor arena in manchester would be perfect for it.

Got to move with the times, I think it would suck if it was in China due to the time zones and if it was in SA they’d be no crowd to build the tension. I do agree with B.H you’ve got to move with the times.

Caporegime
OP
I think it’s got to move away, it’s too small. The new indoor arena in manchester would be perfect for it.

Got to move with the times, I think it would suck if it was in China due to the time zones and if it was in SA they’d be no crowd to build the tension. I do agree with B.H you’ve got to move with the times.

Hmm, I've seen that on the news. I wonder if they'd get 20,000 people watching the snooker in there. :D

Caporegime
Personally for me (and I'm no where near old enough to remember the World Snooker not being at the Crucible) the World Snooker being there is like The Masters being at Augusta; inseparable.

Frankly I suspect most of the recent posturing is to try and pressure Sheffield council into something; I think they know how unpopular moving it would be with the fans.

As much as I think it would kill it in the UK I actually would have less issue with it being in China than Saudi; at least China has a huge following for the sport and a lot of players (well, ok cheats and fixers but there's a few!)
No way China. Completely ruins it for the UK viewers. Just find or build a bigger venue in the UK.

Eddie Hearn runs both the WST and the PDC. He could get going on a big venue to hold both snooker and darts events. Maybe a bit of boxing too.

Back
Top Bottom