• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Refuse to buy a 1070 at current pricing

Associate
Had a go on a 1070 yesterday on Witcher 3. Monitor - 1440p widescreen (3440). Tbh, I weren't overly impressed. Seemed marginally more smooth than my 980GTX but not the killer card everyone is making it out to be. Weren't overclocked as it's going into a prebuilt system for someone and we didn't what to risk it. Might be a bit better overclocked but I feel at this price point ... I gotta be crazy to get it at this price.

Viewing the performance firsthand makes it easier to forget about this whole business and wait for the Ti or Vega.

However, for a more 'normal' 2560x1440 it might play better.

For 1080p this thing will be a monster.

The 1070 is a 980Ti, there's nothing "to be impressed" or new about it.

Associate
It's interesting to see what people have in their signatures vs the type of posts they're making... :D

I have nvidia but i am always open to the best deal for myself. No green or red light flash here. Only pure thinking what is the best for me or to the rigs what i have to upgrade . Some people go with the train, some not. I like to choose which train is the best to pop on.

Last edited:
Soldato
If people are happy paying 600+ for a mid range as Orangy said, Nvidia must be wondering how far they can bend people over for the 1080ti.

That's what I'm wondering too. Expecting stock to be 'low' for at least a few months for maximum milkage.

Just be nice if AMD can actually release Vega around October as rumored.

Either way, not long to go. Only a few months before we know for sure.

Permabanned
I would be surprised if many 1070s are selling right now. Yeah the people who happily spend £400+ each new generation will be buying them but I doubt very much that the people who normally spend £2-300 have rushed out to buy them. People on here are in no way representative of the masses.

Associate
we want the same cards at the same price the USA has them for, as why quote a price at any event and then double it? unless you need to get rid of all the old stock which is still higher priced, won't go down this route now either, will wait, as it's a UK rip off all over again :(

P.B

P.B

Soldato
Being a 980ti owner I really wouldn't bother with these. Would like an all singing 4k card and this is not it

Soldato
You're happy paying 600 quid for mid-range?

So as per my previous (lengthy) post how would this 'mid range' pricing work out? Would you really pay 'top end' prices for a Ti knowing that not that far down the line there will be a faster 'mid range' card out.

Whose going to buy a 'high end' card for 600-800 pounds any time near the rumored release of an incoming (faster) 'mid range' card which will cost around half (new) and so there used prices will go down at least 2/3 from the previous 'top end' prices.

How would purchasers of 'top end' cards feel if NVIDIA did release a faster card at a much lower price point a few months after they had paid $$$ for their cards

What would stop smart people just buying two 'mid range' cards for good performance (where SLI supported) and just skipping the expensive and quickly depreciated 'high end' cards?

Would it make sense for NVIDIA to try and release a big die consumer product first if yields aren't even great even for a smaller 'mid range' die like with Pascal? Or does it make better commercial sense to release a smaller die first and when the process has been somewhat refined and yields have improved with time to build up stock release a bigger die GPU?

What would be an acceptable pricing structure for a 'mid range' GPU and 'top end' GPU in your assessment?

DOES ANY ONE HAVE ANY SENSIBLE REPLIES?

OcUK Staff
So as per my previous (lengthy) post how would this 'mid range' pricing work out? Would you really pay 'top end' prices for a Ti knowing that not that far down the line there will be a faster 'mid range' card out.

Whose going to buy a 'high end' card for 600-800 pounds any time near the rumored release of an incoming (faster) 'mid range' card which will cost around half (new) and so there used prices will go down at least 2/3 from the previous 'top end' prices.

How would purchasers of 'top end' cards feel if NVIDIA did release a faster card at a much lower price point a few months after they had paid $$$ for their cards

What would stop smart people just buying two 'mid range' cards for good performance (where SLI supported) and just skipping the expensive and quickly depreciated 'high end' cards?

Would it make sense for NVIDIA to try and release a big die consumer product first if yields aren't even great even for a smaller 'mid range' die like with Pascal? Or does it make better commercial sense to release a smaller die first and when the process has been somewhat refined and yields have improved with time to build up stock release a bigger die GPU?

What would be an acceptable pricing structure for a 'mid range' GPU and 'top end' GPU in your assessment?

DOES ANY ONE HAVE ANY SENSIBLE REPLIES?

I think the sensible reply is some people are happy to pay £600 for the fastest card on the market and do not care that some people on a forum class it as mid-range.

Most of our customers actually care about is they are getting the current fastest card out and they can start playing games right now and enjoy the performance and features. :)

Fact is with the new kit and price drops there really is something for everyone:

Titan X - £800
1080 - £600
1070 - £400
980Ti - £400
980 - £300
970 - £200
960 - £150
950 - £100

Duo Pro - £1200
390X - £270
390 - £230
380X - £180
380 - £150

There is really something for everyone and the fact is even the cheapest cards now offer fair performance for 720/1080 gaming. :)

Associate
People seem to forget that the 970 was released at a cheaper price to kill off AMD at that moment. This will not happen again until compitition returns which doesn't look anytime soon.

For the performance, new tech and all else, you can grab a aftermarket 1070 for £375. Remember the 980 release, $500 for nowhere near the power of a 1070.

I feel pricing has annoyed people, but that's down to personal expectation. If you don't want to spend that money wait for the 1060 or 480 which will be less power but cheaper.

OcUK Staff
Gibbo out of interest why are the Titan X still sitting at £800 when a 980ti is pretty on the same level performance wise?

Surely 6GB of Vram can't warrant an extra £400?

NVIDIA refuse to the move the price point on this card, it is still HALO product and it still sells albeit slowly and I have very little stock so am happy for them to sit around.

Plus we have business and corporate customers who only want Titans and are happy to pay £800-£1000, so there is no need for a move whilst they are still slowly selling and there is very little stocks left, so neither ourselves or NVIDIA see the need to move these parts. :)

Back
Top Bottom