Relocation to Spain Experience

Soldato
Just down the road from me then. I was living in Alicante for some time before I left to go travelling. Not really a fan of Benidorm, or Denia. One is imo ugly (with the tall high rises), and horrible to drive around, the other is a bit boring for something in their 30s.

Lots of nature around though, and some great beaches/coves. If you like hiking, you'll want to go to Maigmó, some really nice routes there.

Dogs no being allowed on beaches in high season is very common, as are towns and cities being packed for religious events and fiestas. Valencia, Cartagena, Almeria, are some of the worst for that. Oddly, Alicante doesn't get so crazy, I don't know about Benidorm.

BTW make sure you check the area you are thinking about for flooding. It can be common in April around La Manga going right up to north of Valencia.

Associate
Just my two pennies - I lived in Spain for two years before moving back to the UK. Although I lived in the Canaries where things are a bit different.

The downside to Spain is just how complicated and archaic everyday life things can be (like getting NIE or a bank account).

The one big bit of advice I would give is to get a good accountant - you do not, under any circumstances, want to fall foul of the Spanish tax authorities.

Soldato
I am jealous. Me and the wife would love to relocate to somewhere warm.
I really must get on and sort out my Irish citizenship to make this a distant possibility one day.
I am jealous of all the people who qualify for an irish pasport. no such luck for me.... which has royally dumped on my lng term plan to retire to Menorca or similar.

good luck OP!

Last edited:
Soldato
Just my two pennies - I lived in Spain for two years before moving back to the UK. Although I lived in the Canaries where things are a bit different.

The downside to Spain is just how complicated and archaic everyday life things can be (like getting NIE or a bank account).

The one big bit of advice I would give is to get a good accountant - you do not, under any circumstances, want to fall foul of the Spanish tax authorities.

To be fair, they do seem very archaic and it doesn't have a digital by default stance like the UK has, but the procedures are quite simple when you understand them. Just bureaucratic. You certainly need a printer if living in Spain or you'll be taking multiple trips to the print shop.

To top it off every autonomous region does things their own way, so unless the guide you are reading/following is for your region, don't be surprised if the process is a little different.

Another thing to be aware of is Spanish banks. Unless you have a digital account they can be a right rip off. There's also the fact the local tax authorities can take money out of your account if you owe them, same for utilities (though I believe they need some kind of order). The general rule is to keep your main cash in an account outside of Spain.

Soldato
OP

Haha already finding that out with my NIE. I tried for weeks to get my appointment, before giving up and using a company to get it for me. They managed within a day! I guess they know what time they're released! I've setup a bank with N26 which is an online bank like Starling/Monzo. However it seems it's not compatable with the Spanish system for paying self employed fees so i think i'll switch to OpenBank which is an online division of Santander.

To be fair, they do seem very archaic and it doesn't have a digital by default stance like the UK has, but the procedures are quite simple when you understand them. Just bureaucratic. You certainly need a printer if living in Spain or you'll be taking multiple trips to the print shop.

To top it off every autonomous region does things their own way, so unless the guide you are reading/following is for your region, don't be surprised if the process is a little different.

Another thing to be aware of is Spanish banks. Unless you have a digital account they can be a right rip off. There's also the fact the local tax authorities can take money out of your account if you owe them, same for utilities (though I believe they need some kind of order). The general rule is to keep your main cash in an account outside of Spain.

Yeah, as above, i've an account with N26 but will try and always will try and stick with online banks. My parents are with Caixa and they're always being blackmailed with "invest another €10k or we'll charge you money for your current account"

We found that with a printer. The whole drag with paying the tax for the NIE. The most bizarre thing was i went on a Monday but the bank don't accept cash on a Monday so i had to go back on the Tuesday. As you say, archaic but once you understand it then it's not as bad as it first appears.

Well yesterday i left the house and saw the "SOLD" sign up. So that's a nice thing to happen
tym1IFb.jpg

Then i drove to Cazoo to sell them my car, before going to pick up my van. I explored loads of options for getting to Spain, including 1 way van hire, buying a van, taking a car with a trailer or paying someone to transport our stuff.

The paying someone didn't make sense as we have a dog and i wouldn't want to send him with a company. He hated the journey when we did it with him in March and so being stuck in a crate would make me sad.
One way van hire would be great - Get a decent new reliable van, cost was only around £1300 for 5 days, but i'd have to get to Gatwick and back to Preston which takes up a day and additional cost. They also book up around 4 months in advance
The Car and Trailer sounded ok, but i have no experience of towing a trailer, and i wouldn't want to take my Mazda as it'd be hard to sell in Spain so would be buying something old and cheap and hoping to sell that (and the trailer)

As such, buying a van made sense. I don't know much about cars, and the used, cheap Van market can be a minefield. My wifes cousin runs a garage and had a Mercedes Vito. It was a 2015 model but with 520,000 miles on it! I "kind of" trust him, and he wasn't actively selling it and said if i ever made it back to the UK in it, he'd buy it back.

I'm afraid i've done a bit of a @moon man here and taken a screenshot of a picture on my phone for some reason!
YAHR8Zk.png

The issue is i'm now questioning if it's big enough. We're not taking much, and i'm sure it's deceptive but it's hard to judge. Luckily he said i could use it through his work insurance and then just pay him once i was sure it'd be ok. The main issue are the bikes, but if i get a bike rack for the rear door it might work as they're awkward items and not stackable.
I've asked a couple other people selling vans so will go look at those other the weekend.

Soldato
Have you had a removal quote from Abels/similar - had used them on EU move where they put stuff directly in a big crate - which then gets shipped/stored/delivered at a future date
I don't know if they would deliver a crate to you (fork lift into drive?) to pack yourself to make it efficient/even cheaper.

Soldato
OP
If you are thinking of buying a van and selling it in Spain, beware that all vans are commercial vehicles in Spain, and any loading doors on the side must open on the right side IIRC.

Yeah, the Vito has side doors on both sides, but i'm not planning on matriculating it onto Spanish plates, just selling it as a UK vehicle to someone heading back to the UK. Already have someone interested.

Have you had a removal quote from Abels/similar - had used them on EU move where they put stuff directly in a big crate - which then gets shipped/stored/delivered at a future date
I don't know if they would deliver a crate to you (fork lift into drive?) to pack yourself to make it efficient/even cheaper.

I've had a few quotes, they're not too bad, but we need to get ourselves and the dog over, so doesn't make sense to pay for removes AND have a vehicle to take ourselves in. I'm debating using someone like that if we have stuff we can't fit in the van though.

Soldato
OP
Will have a good read of this thread at weekend. As someone who's keen on emigrating real world stories are a big help

Yeah, i always find them useful so hopefully it can be a help to some people, i'm finding the more i research the less i know! Plus it's a great way to keep a documenation for your own memories to read back through.

Spoke to my dad who used to work with someone who now lives in the Hondon Valley which is where we decided we wanted to be (where the house i posted in the OP is). Seems a good balance between inland, access to Alicante and cost. Funnily enough it seems he knows the couple who were agents for the above house. Wonder if he can get them to sabotage the sale :D
Have arranged to speak to him about the area which will be really useful.

Had thought i'd found somewhere to rent. It was advertised as Orihuela Pueblo which is a little inland, and right by the main A7 motorway for easy access up to my parents/down south if we want to go to Almeria for a bit. However after an enquiry it seems it's in Mil Palmeras which is coastal. Not that it'd be horrible to be on the cost, but it's likely going to be either very touristy during holidays/dead in winter.

Property seems great though, and 3 bedrooms means that we'd have a room to store our stuff in the 3rd bedroom rather than paying for storage. Annoying it's €850 a month, but the fee is 1 months rental. People thought tenants fees in the UK were bad!

Last edited:

dod

dod

Soldato
You have no idea how jealous I am :D When I saw the first photo I thought you must have been staying at my mates place, it's just as you describe. (It's not, very similar but in another village) Photo below.

I'm still a little bit away from being able to make the move, but it will happen :) Good luck with the move, I'm sure it will all go great :)
IMG_0075.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You have no idea how jealous I am :D When I saw the first photo I thought you must have been staying at my mates place, it's just as you describe. (It's not, very similar but in another village) Photo below.

I'm still a little bit away from being able to make the move, but it will happen :) Good luck with the move, I'm sure it will all go great :)

Haha Yeah. Guess he's in Rafol/Benimeli?

We've actually just had a house in Rafol D'Almunia pop up on the market which looks decent, although it's on the crest of the hill between Rafol and Mont Pego by the looks of it.

Last edited:

dod

dod

Soldato
Haha Yeah. Guess he's in Rafol/Benimeli?

We've actually just had a house in Rafol D'Almunia pop up on the market which looks decent, although it's on the crest of the hill between Rafol and Mont Pego by the looks of it.

Sanet.
That house looks nice. We had a look at a couple in Sax, one in Orba, one in Denia but just didn't see the one we're looking for yet :) hopefully going out again in Feb to see what's on the go then.

Soldato
OP
Awesome, it's a superb area. I'm just note sure we get exactly what we want there given our revised requirements. Still open as an option if we see things pop up like that one, but nothing settled yet. I want a proper garage and a lot on the hillside just seem to have carports and then steps down into the property that we saw.

dod

dod

Soldato
aye, that's quite common. The Orba valley is nice but so much of it is built on the side of a hill that garages aren't really a thing.

We're probably looking for something slightly closer to the coast. We both react fairly badly to the mossie bites so we'll probably avoid too far inland.

Back
Top Bottom