Relocation to Spain Experience

Soldato
OP
aye, that's quite common. The Orba valley is nice but so much of it is built on the side of a hill that garages aren't really a thing.

We're probably looking for something slightly closer to the coast. We both react fairly badly to the mossie bites so we'll probably avoid too far inland.

I actually wouldn't mind El Verger/Els Poblets. We've seen a couple of nice rentals in those areas. It doesn't give me the views i would ideally want, but being close to the beach would be really nice. Would just need to make sure i had a reasonable plot for a sense of space.

Great thread, love it! Enjoy life out there when it happens.

Cheers

So a bit of a cross post from the Images of Purchases thread, but i decided the van above was going to be too small. I measured the TV unit and it *just* fits in width ways. However i feel once we start loading it up, we might have to start making decisions to leave stuff and don't want to run the risk of buying a replacement last minute before i have confidence it'll make the journey. Benefits being it was MOT'd at the end of June so a lot of time left which will hopefully re-assure potential buyers in Spain.

As such i picked this up Saturday. It's a bit tattier because it's an ex trades van. However it's a bit longer/wider, but much taller in the back.

mvy6Qxk.png

Annoyingly, it drove fine on the test drive, and then i needed petrol on the way home and again it was perfect. However, yesterday i went to start it and it wouldn't turn over :rolleyes:. It felt like it got 95% of the way there, and was ok when i pressed the throttle. From a google it could be a dirty fuel filter and i don't think it's been as meticulously maintained as the Mercedes above, the oil is also pretty black. As such i've bought a service kit and will change all the filters/oil. Will also need some ramps/axle stands, but they'll come in handy for the Jeep :D

One down side of the ferry is that the dog needs to be muzzled at all times in communal areas. Just as with the goggles above, he's not a fan of the full Hannibal Lector look.

6hk6ciS.png

Associate
Awesome. Where about's were you?

To be fair I can understand living in the UK when you're in Dorset. I'm in Preston :p

I lived in Madrid, which while there are no sea views is surrounded by several large reservoirs and beautiful mountains to the north of the center.

Last edited:
Soldato
What is Spain like for building your own place?

I assume it is bureaucratic, and dealing with builders is no fun, even when you speak the same language ..

Man of Honour
Annoyingly, it drove fine on the test drive, and then i needed petrol on the way home and again it was perfect. However, yesterday i went to start it and it wouldn't turn over :rolleyes:. It felt like it got 95% of the way there, and was ok when i pressed the throttle. From a google it could be a dirty fuel filter and i don't think it's been as meticulously maintained as the Mercedes above, the oil is also pretty black.
Did you put petrol in it?

Soldato
OP
What is Spain like for building your own place?

I assume it is bureaucratic, and dealing with builders is no fun, even when you speak the same language ..

Yeah that's obviously a concern. My parents had a few issues when doing some building work due to useless architects causing delays and that's before anything else.

I've had a recommendation from someone who built their own house of an architect so have sent an email to try and get a rough feel. As long as they could recommend a builder who could project manage things then it's fine. I just have to accept the cost.

There's a big market for modular/prefab steel houses in Spain. So hopefully that minimises the pain.

Man of Honour
Haha i did indeed. Well diesel to be precise. Have got the bits to service it (filters/oil), but seems you need a variety of one-off tools to remove various casings. So might just give it to a garage rather than attempt myself.
When you said petrol I thought that was going to be the source of your problems given it is a diesel engine! Good luck getting it sorted.

Soldato
I may follow this thread. I'd be interested to hear of what it's really like day to day. Like what happens if you need am emergency 8 core CPU on a Sunday night at 10pm? Do Spain have prime rain forest company deliver out in the sticks of Spain within a day? ;) But seriously, how "behind" are they compared to us with some things? What is food shopping like? Getting medication? Doctors? Council equivalents? Putting your bins out? Dealing with people when you don't speak Spanish? Tap water? Heating/air con costs? Mosquitos? Do they have golf courses? How do you watch Sky sports / TNT sports etc? What is the weather like all year round?

I've known 2 couples who moved out there, and both came back to UK in the end.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I may follow this thread. I'd be interested to hear of what it's really like day to day. Like what happens if you need am emergency 8 core CPU on a Sunday night at 10pm? Do Spain have prime rain forest company deliver out in the sticks of Spain within a day? ;) But seriously, how "behind" are they compared to us with some things? What is food shopping like? Getting medication? Doctors? Council equivalents? Putting your bins out? Dealing with people when you don't speak Spanish? Tap water? Heating/air con costs? Mosquitos? Do they have golf courses? How do you watch Sky sports / TNT sports etc? What is the weather like all year round?

Haha lots that i can probably answer based on the 3 months i spent there earlier in the year.

Amazon is decent. Most stuff is next day or the day after. Certainly didn't feel i was limited and used them a lot

Food Shopping is ok - We actually enjoyed the process of going to the supermarket each week or going to markets for fruit/veg. Not sure whether that would continue forever! Most stores offer delivery and online shopping now though.
Medication is easy - Pharmacies have more authority for prescribing vs the UK. My parents haven't had any problems with it
Doctors - Again they're mainly "walk in" styles centres outside of the hospitals as far as i can gather. Mainly just you turn up and then have appointments for follow ups. Again i don't think it's decimated like the UK. Health System is really highly thought of
Councils - This is where bureaucracy is a nightmare. Everything is manual and with bizarre rules that even locals shrug at.
Bins - Varies by area. Communal bins are more common here so you just drop off rubbish/recycling at a local point. Usually plenty around either on roadsides or in housing estates. Where we stayed you had daily collections from your house for normal waste (recycling went to the communal bins)
Most people spoke an element of English - Where they didn't i mainly used DeepL which was excellent, although my Spanish is getting better
Tap Water - It's drinkable. Tastes a bit weird and most people use bottled water.
Utility Costs - From what i can gather they're similar to the UK. Water is more expensive,makes maintaining swimming pools expensive ~ €400 to refill
Mosquitos - Depends on area but generally i get bit a lot!
Golf Courses are abundant. Though you'll never see me at one
Sky Sports is easily accessible - Or you get a box showing sports channels through the same dodgy means as in the UK

Weather is generally ~10C warmer than the UK. With average winter temps around 15C and summer being 35C. Obviously it's drier which is the main driver for me.

I guess for whether it works it depends on the people and what they like. How much you engage in local communities, or whether they miss things from the UK and family/friends.

Soldato
Mate, good luck with it! Don't forget to seek out and try the Rectoral de Amandi Matilda Nieves Mencia (2020 edition got a platinum at Decanter WWA). What I would call a "daytime" red, light and quaffable.

Caporegime

Just to comment on Amazon.

Annual membership is like 40 euros which gives you the video service next day delivery etc .

I live in Barcelona and got most items Amazon I same day delivery. It's 7pm now and I could easily order a cpu on Amazon till about 1am tonight and it will arrive pre midday.

If I order at say 2pm I will get it between 7pm-11pm the same day.

10 years ago, when I moved here, you could barely get stuff in 2 days and the selection was small. Now it's as good or better than Amazon UK.

All the other things you mentioned are more or less the same as UK these days.

rp2000

Back
Top Bottom