Retro console and games thread

Soldato
Future upgrades sure!

Nothing at the moment though as my A500 needs a floppy repair :)

Needs more memory and accelerator, 50MHZ would be nice!

I could've got all in for £300 but my limit was £150

I've been thinking about an A600 with HDD, mem upgrade and whdload, but it's unclear if I'd need more memory than the normal upgrade to get it to work correctly. Used to have an A500 years ago.

Caporegime
Don't buy the A600 as i've read it has certain issues, a love or hate machine.

A600 is my personal pet, and it has received most love (money) among all my Amigas. But it is a very specific machine. For the people who know exactly what they want. It is not the best all round machine. Not by a long shot. Also, it is very gentle and frail.
Some examples of WHDLoad games that have problems on an A600:

Alien Syndrome
Apidya
California Games
Conquests of the Longbow
Maniac Mansion
Railroad Tycoon
Yep, many games just crash on loading or exhibit weird behaviors on 010's and plain 68k's.

Sadly there's also quite a number of installs that don't work correctly on 68000 (A600)...
frown.gif
I get that the A600 is a nice WHDLoad alternative, but it's not as simple as to say it's 'up to par with A1200 except for AGA games' I'm afraid. An A1200 is the better WHDLoad machine, no doubt.

Everyone recommends the A500 and the A1200

Caporegime
I'm going to save up for a HZX or something floppy emulator, basically you plug a CF card into a device and it acts like a floppy. Imagine all those ADF files :D

Though that might be for the A1200, think I'll keep the A500 as stock as I remember it

Associate
I'm going to save up for a HZX or something floppy emulator, basically you plug a CF card into a device and it acts like a floppy. Imagine all those ADF files :D

Though that might be for the A1200, think I'll keep the A500 as stock as I remember it

Ah you mean the HxC Floppy Emulator, great little device that. Most of the games will be available on WHDLoad but that'd come in handy for the thousands of demos they released for the Amiga I'd imagine.

I spent about £150 on my A1200 recently, picked up a ACA1232 33Mhz accelerator, Kick 3.1 Roms and the 4GB CF card and adaptor from Amigakit. I've set my CF up with ClassicWB (all done in WinUAE ready for transfer to the real amiga) but I can only get video output from the RF out. My next step is to break out the multimeter and check if any capacitors need replacing so I can get the RGB output working.

Fitzsteve from EAB made a great guide on youtube showing you how to get a CF card setup with ClassicWB and WHDLoad games if you're feeling adventurous.

Link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd42RsKHm5Y

Caporegime
Yes that's it, the HxC :)

The guy who I purchased it from via the Amiga Forums seems to be having issue with the CF card
Currently trying to get the second 2Gb partition to show up on boot - dunno why it's giving me a hard time - the last card was identical (I used it in my A4000) and it just appeared for me to format
sad.gif
Turning into a LONG night
wink.gif
So it seems as if the CF set up situation isn't as easy I thought, hope he gets it up and running before it's sent to me :p

Turned out that the CF card was too new - it had no data on it whatsoever and as a result was doing strange things when the Amiga was telling it to write out partition information for the second partition - I put the card in a PC, filled it, wiped it - then put it back in the Amiga and the re-partition worked fine that time through.

:D Grand

Last edited:
Associate
Yes that's it, the HxC :)

The guy who I purchased it from via the Amiga Forums seems to be having issue with the CF card So it seems as if the CF set up situation isn't as easy I thought, hope he gets it up and running before it's sent to me :p

The first thing I did when you said you were having trouble trying to find an A1200 for a decent price was have a quick look on Amibay, lo and behold the first one I see for sale has your name on it heh.

I'll have to get myself on Amibay, I want to get hold of a Zipstick and a Comp Pro for some old school SWOS action.

Caporegime
Check this out

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Commodore...pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item3a80a3dde5

A number of Amiga gamers are calling caution with this sale, anyone else think the same?

Why would you post pictures of just boxes on a pallet but not the insides e.t.c
hmmm... this is an old seller - with 36 trades - yet been on eBay nearly 10 years - I would be surprised if the seller had NOT searched eBay for commodre / Amiga / Atari ST prior to putting up their auction.

I have also noted a few chancers trying to get a buy-it-now price too

For those interested in this, I would approach this auction with caution.

I'd say it's a local pickup, and paid in person only, the offer of pallet shipping isn't one i'd pick up on. Also, the stockpile of stuffs show multiples of the same boxes, doesn't really look like some homeowners "leftbehinds" so to speak. But depending on the final price it could very well be worth a bit of work to get it home. I'm in the wrong country, so it's for someone else, and thats generally how it is.

Last edited:
Underboss
Check this out

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Commodore...pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item3a80a3dde5

A number of Amiga gamers are calling caution with this sale, anyone else think the same?

Why would you post pictures of just boxes on a pallet but not the insides e.t.c

if I was in Lancashire I would bid for sure (even if its £5 lol)

Bit iffy on the payment option for delivery, bank transfer or cheque only? if it was paypal then I would be covered because I take the funds out of my credit card so would have the distant buyers act covered

Soldato
I wanted res evil 4 with the limited edition sleeve which I have seen sell for £20+ and I need resident evil 0 for my res evil gamecube collection and that goes for around £10 on its own so I have got the rest of the games for free which I will just trade off

Back
Top Bottom