Retro console and games thread

Soldato
been sitting thinking of stuff I want to pick up when I get a chance.....despite having a ridiculous amount of retro gear there is always more you want lol

Good thing is most of them aren't too rare and costly, makes the wife happier :p

Some are from the start of the consoles life but remember them being good fun

N64:
WETRIX
EXTREME G
TOP GEAR RALLY
FIGHTERS DESTINY

PS2
SHOX
NBA STREET
TIMESPLITTERS
DRIVING EMOTION TYPE-S
THUNDERHAWK
STREET FIGHTER EX3
TOP GEAR DAREVEIL

CUBE
STARFOX ADVENTURES
NBA COURTSIDE
DAVE MIRRA 2
LUIGIS MANSION
WARIO WARE
MARIO GOLF
VIEWTIFUL JOE
BEACH SPIKERS

Soldato
I found a Dreamcast in my attic (which is probably my favourite console of all time).

What's the best way to connect it to a 1080p tv.

Scart?

VGA box with a vga to HDMI converter?

My TV doesn't have a PC input unfortunately.

Soldato
is your scart socket a proper RBG one?

Edit - seems that the vga adaptor to hdmi conversion works well. The Startech HDMI > VGA converters are pretty awesome bits of kit. we use them at work

Last edited:
Associate
Going back to my childhood

sevh8o.jpg

Soldato
Not so much a console but went digging in an old storage room at work. Found a 2002 P3 SV24 "Spacewalker" Shuttle XPC unit. Fired up first time and reinstalled windows 98SE. Now is my new old skool gaming rig

http://eu.shuttle.com/_archive/old/en/www.shuttle.eu/index-1371.html

Time to find the big box games out :). Carmageddon, Return Fire, Starcraft n Quake 3 installed n running great :D

Last edited:
Associate
I finally managed to find the time to wire up my Neo Geo MVS 'properly':

DSC_1136_zpsarga5sap.jpg

I know it doesn't look all that great, but the crate is good storage for my MVS games, wires and it stacks in the cupboard when I'm done.

I just need to fit another DB15 connector for player 2 and then mount them to the crate.

Man of Honour
I'm considering building an arcade MAME cabinet.

Anyone else already done it? Advice and recommendations welcomed.

There are plenty of plans online and a few places that sell flat pack cabinets. If I can find and empty original cabinet then I'd consider that too. Don't know where to look really. Ebay and Gumtree are a bit sparse and very pricey. Probably cheaper to buy some MDF and get the saw out.

I'll probably use an IPAC 2 kit for the controls, it looks straight forward enough to wire up, no soldering required with wiring kits. Plus it's already configure for standard MAME controls. I'm not sure if it's worth branded Joysticks and buttons, or buying a full 2 player kit from Arcade World UK.

See how further research goes.

Last edited:
Associate

There are plenty of plans online and a few places that sell flat pack cabinets. If I can find and empty original cabinet then I'd consider that too. Don't know where to look really. Ebay and Gumtree are a bit sparse and very pricey. Probably cheaper to buy some MDF and get the saw out.

I'll probably use an IPAC 2 kit for the controls, it looks straight forward enough to wire up, no soldering required with wiring kits. Plus it's already configure for standard MAME controls. I'm not sure if it's worth branded Joysticks and buttons, or buying a full 2 player kit from Arcade World UK.

I'm planning on building a TATE bartop cabinet now Cave have announced they are releasing their games on Steam.

Regarding interfacing the joysticks i'd imagine there are plenty of options. I'd definitely recommend a Seimetsu or Sanwa branded joystick. They are more expensive then the cheap chinese copies but you pay for the quality.

Soldato
I finally managed to find the time to wire up my Neo Geo MVS 'properly':

DSC_1136_zpsarga5sap.jpg

I know it doesn't look all that great, but the crate is good storage for my MVS games, wires and it stacks in the cupboard when I'm done.

I just need to fit another DB15 connector for player 2 and then mount them to the crate.

Nice job!

We all start somewhere. ;)

NeoGeoMVS5.jpg

Soldato

I bought a flat pack from Arcade World. I'm no good with tools or wood.

Insides is just an old shuttle PC, IPAC and a LCD screen.
Was pretty easy to do, only real issue was mounting the screen.

Cabinet%2011.jpg

Back
Top Bottom