• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Return my zotac 3080?

@Grayfox_83 considering the issue with the fan and the fact you are having difficulty using the BIOS update tool, you could load Afterburner and move the slider down until the fan noise is acceptable. Check at that point whether the card temperature is acceptable. As I previously posted, do this with the case side panels removed to simulate better air flow.

Unfortunately you might end up having to conclude that it's just a poor quality product, which is a shame considering the price you paid.

I've got the Zotac 3080 and have been pretty underwhelmed with its performance (compared to other 3080's) the fan noise is pretty loud when air cooled (this is in a O11 case with plenty of air flow) and even after putting a waterblock on it performance is still average, not much of an overclocker but not surprising given the poor PCB design...

If I could get another card and sell this one I would but I'm not complaining too much as atleast I got a 3080 when they launched

Haven't really looked compared to other cards performance as it's increase over 1080ti is considerable. And I game at 4k so any difference between any of the cards I wont notice - same for OC'ing. What measure of performance between cards do you mean specifically? I'm interested. Plus the later BIOS increases the power limit - though I dunno how much performance gain can be had from that.

Oh I saw that spreadsheet, well I guess if you are looking at absolute numbers then it is underwhelming but it's a couple of FPS difference and the one in that SS is the base card. Don't think i'll be bothering to swap out the card for a single figure gains in FPS - you wouldn't notice it. The differences are measurable but would you 'feel' any difference? That is a spreadsheet from someone on reddit - pro reviews don't have it so bad https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/zotac_geforce_rtx_3080_trinity_review,13.html. I have read you can put the OC BIOS onto the base card (all 15Mhz :D) Undervolting helps and the later BIOS's have a higher power limit.

In that spreadsheet the MSI trio is next to it and is one of the best cards but still, even @ 4k you'd never 'feel' a difference in FPS or performance. If you are benching for numbers then yeah you want the best cards, but in gaming performance - there isn't much difference in the 3080's range except the noise. Not saying the Zotac isnt noisy as I only have 4 years of AIO on my old card to compare to. Probably not a card if you use speakers for sound.

Oh I saw that spreadsheet, well I guess if you are looking at absolute numbers then it is underwhelming but it's a couple of FPS difference and the one in that SS is the base card. Don't think i'll be bothering to swap out the card for a single figure gains in FPS - you wouldn't notice it. The differences are measurable but would you 'feel' any difference? That is a spreadsheet from someone on reddit - pro reviews don't have it so bad https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/zotac_geforce_rtx_3080_trinity_review,13.html. I have read you can put the OC BIOS onto the base card (all 15Mhz :D) Undervolting helps and the later BIOS's have a higher power limit.

In that spreadsheet the MSI trio is next to it and is one of the best cards but still, even @ 4k you'd never 'feel' a difference in FPS or performance. If you are benching for numbers then yeah you want the best cards, but in gaming performance - there isn't much difference in the 3080's range except the noise. Not saying the Zotac isn't noisy as I only have 4 years of AIO on my old card to compare to. Probably not a card if you use speakers for sound.

I get what you mean and moaning about a few FPS seems petty but when the TUF card was the same price, when I ordered mine at least, and performs well at the same price point its disappointing....I wont be buying Zotac again that's for sure

I get what you mean and moaning about a few FPS seems petty but when the TUF card was the same price, when I ordered mine at least, and performs well at the same price point its disappointing....I wont be buying Zotac again that's for sure
Atleast you have a card right now, some of the people after the TUF are in a queue of 500+ and likely won't see their cards till the end of the summer.

It was my 1st Zotac as it was just what was available. PAid £850 for it too. The supply means that beggars couldn't be choosers. It was never gonna be the best card and a top bencher but was what was available early on. Prefer to have it than no 3080 and a fair saving over a 3090. 5 year warranty is useful too. CBA to chuck more money at one for a few fps, but if stats and benching is what makes you happy then each to their own. Best card is the FE considering price as the gain for AIB's isnt worth it cost wise. Bet some are reading this with no next gen cards wondering what we are moaning at :D

It was my 1st Zotac as it was just what was available. PAid £850 for it too. The supply means that beggars couldn't be choosers. It was never gonna be the best card and a top bencher but was what was available early on. Prefer to have it than no 3080 and a fair saving over a 3090. 5 year warranty is useful too. CBA to chuck more money at one for a few fps, but if stats and benching is what makes you happy then each to their own. Best card is the FE considering price as the gain for AIB's isnt worth it cost wise. Bet some are reading this with no next gen cards wondering what we are moaning at :D

Atleast you have a card right now, some of the people after the TUF are in a queue of 500+ and likely won't see their cards till the end of the summer.

Yeah I know right, I shouldn't really complain I'd be fuming if I was still waiting for a GPU from launch day

Yeah I know right, I shouldn't really complain I'd be fuming if I was still waiting for a GPU from launch day
I got the ventus near launch day and while it is a couple of fps behind the better models it was over 100% faster than my old 1070ti and does fine in games, I even undervolt so it runs cool and quiet and this reduces fps by another couple of % but it's still not really noticeable.

Also had it mining for the last 6 weeks during downtime and made £250 so taking that into account the total cost of the card is now only £410.

Last edited:
@Grayfox_83 considering the issue with the fan and the fact you are having difficulty using the BIOS update tool, you could load Afterburner and move the slider down until the fan noise is acceptable. Check at that point whether the card temperature is acceptable. As I previously posted, do this with the case side panels removed to simulate better air flow.

Unfortunately you might end up having to conclude that it's just a poor quality product, which is a shame considering the price you paid.

Just an update, I removed my front mounted cpu aio and fitted a be quiet air cooled cpu cooler.

So after an hour of metro exodus at max settings 1440p, my temps dropped from 75 degrees c to 66 degrees c, so there has been a good improvement in not just temps but fan noise also.

I’ve ordered 2 140mm fans for the font of my case and also a cooler master, master liquid ml120l for cooling my cpu. Going to mount it at the back of the case and mount 2 additional 120mm fans to the top.

Going to hold onto my gpu, if I can manage to keep the temps around 65 degrees or less then I’ll be happy.

Why did you pay that price in the first place? Lot of money for a GPU.

High end GPU's are a lot of money. 1080ti's were £720 on release for an FE. I think the Zotac RRP was £750? So £100 over RRP hasn't been that bad compared to today's prices and availability. That's the price of PC master race. Depends if you are happy at 1080p. But todays gamers are 1440 minimum to 4k 120hz+.

Otherwise you are in the PC race.:D

Going to hold onto my gpu, if I can manage to keep the temps around 65 degrees or less then I’ll be happy.

That's a massive improvement. Could you confirm that you didn't have a frame cap like vsync on when you did that? If you're now getting 65C max temperature at full load then you've definitely found the issue. Also, if your fans got noticeably quieter with the 10C drop then it looks like your fan curve is working as it should.

I
That's a massive improvement. Could you confirm that you didn't have a frame cap like vsync on when you did that? If you're now getting 65C max temperature at full load then you've definitely found the issue. Also, if your fans got noticeably quieter with the 10C drop then it looks like your fan curve is working as it should.

I had Vsync turned off in the in game settings, but I do have a gsync monitor and I’ve it set to on in the nvidia control panel. I’m averaging between 85-95 FPS with everything set to max including ray tracing and dlss off.

Back
Top Bottom