The Fashion Thread... personal tastes, musings, and recommendations

Caporegime
Needs to be a factory outlet shop, normal Levi shops are double the price.

This might be a silly question but is there an official list where they're distinguished between? For example I get the following in google but I'd have assumed that say a Levis store at the O2 would be a regular expensive one and would generally imagine outlets to be out of town etc... not sure if google has just incorrectly called it a factory outlet etc..

Man of Honour
Anyone got recommendations for male black jeans, straight leg - ideally something with subtle weathering/distressed type look - hard finding something that isn't solid black, actually faded grey or over the top distressed, etc. unfortunately my go to ones are no longer made.

Caporegime
OP
Anyone got recommendations for male black jeans, straight leg - ideally something with subtle weathering/distressed type look - hard finding something that isn't solid black, actually faded grey or over the top distressed, etc. unfortunately my go to ones are no longer made.
Budget? My go-to for all jeans now is Levi as they are just so durable and seem to last me ages as well as fit like a glove.

Man of Honour
Budget? My go-to for all jeans now is Levi as they are just so durable and seem to last me ages as well as fit like a glove.

Within reason I'll pay whatever if they are what I want. I generally spend around £100-200 on jeans.

I've kind of gone off Levi - there is a huge difference in quality and durability depending on which factory they come from unfortunately.

Soldato

My only pair these days are some APC selvedge raw jobbies. They're quite a 'formal' jean though and I'm still breaking them in. The fit is great though. They do black versions that don't mess around with the raw denim side that have a nice silhouette, I'd definitely have a look there. If you're in Londont hey have a shop in Soho where they're very helpful. There's also a rag and bone by there that are nice although didn't fit me as well as the APCs.

Also, All Saints do quite a lot of black/darker jeans iirc, haven't looked in a while though.

Otherwise Diesel can be good but not sure about black.

Soldato
Within reason I'll pay whatever if they are what I want. I generally spend around £100-200 on jeans.

I've kind of gone off Levi - there is a huge difference in quality and durability depending on which factory they come from unfortunately.

Agree re Levi. Quality is all over the place. I tend to stick to Wrangler nowadays at the cheaper end and Nudie occasionally.

Caporegime
OP

I got my Levis in USA and Japan so maybe the quality is different there, but so far they are bulletproof and I have enough pairs to last years. In fact, only one pair of Levis that I have ever bought has failed me and that was due to doing almost everything in this one particular pair. :)

Soldato
I've never had an issue with Levi's as long as you purchase from the Levi's store (when on sale). If you buy from Amazon or ebay you'll end up with a Grey import from the US which is always inferior quality as they're made for selling in department stores at a big mark down.

You can tell by the beige patch on the jeans. On the cheap versions they're paper thin and break up, but on the quality jeans they're a thick leather patch.

Man of Honour
I've never had an issue with Levi's as long as you purchase from the Levi's store (when on sale). If you buy from Amazon or ebay you'll end up with a Grey import from the US which is always inferior quality as they're made for selling in department stores at a big mark down.

You can tell by the beige patch on the jeans. On the cheap versions they're paper thin and break up, but on the quality jeans they're a thick leather patch.

I've purchased them from different sources in the past and it doesn't seem as simple as where you purchase them from (though buying at big name stores in the US was a bit more of a guarantee).

It has been quite awhile so some of this might have changed but I bought a load from different places from the Levis store through to Amazon and they were all genuine but those made in China, Bangladesh or Colombia were basically trash - thin material, cheaper fastenings, etc. and barely last a year despite being an official product while those made in Portugal, Turkey, United States, Japan or Italy were generally of better quality but still not up to what the Levis I used to buy were. While buying from certain places was more likely to get ones produced at a better factory it was far from a guarantee and vice versa.

Associate
I've been wearing standard 501's for quite a few years.

The best pair bought most recently was in a Miami shopping mall about 5 years ago. Made in Mexico. They had red edged finished seams inside, a lovely dark indigo heavy weight denim and actually smelt proper.

Weren't cheap mind.

Last edited:
Soldato
I forgot about this thread. Can anyone recommend some good quality t-shirts for less than £20? I love Uniqlo supima cotton ones but they only come plain colours. Their print t-shirts aren't quite the same material.

Man of Honour
I forgot about this thread. Can anyone recommend some good quality t-shirts for less than £20? I love Uniqlo supima cotton ones but they only come plain colours. Their print t-shirts aren't quite the same material.

I've found Brave Soul aren't terrible for sub £20. Not going to compete with some of the more expensive stuff but last a reasonable amount of time and not poorly constructed, etc.

I've been wearing standard 501's for quite a few years.

The best pair bought most recently was in a Miami shopping mall about 5 years ago. Made in Mexico. They had red edged finished seams inside, a lovely dark indigo heavy weight denim and actually smelt proper.

Weren't cheap mind.

Yeah some of the US ones are actual good quality like I used to get probably 20 years ago or so now.

Soldato
I have this issue too. Uniqlo are fantastic for plain, better fit for me than considerably more expensive options.

Caporegime
OP
I really love Jack & Jones tshirts... good quality cotton, reasonable price, and generally a very good fit for slim guys of average proportions. Mine usually last ages until I destroy them. :D

Soldato
I need some t-shirts as well, I find it difficult because I'm tall and slim, most t-shirts are either two short in length or two loose in the arms.

Can anyone recommend some cheap but good quality slim fit t-shirts?

Soldato
Have you tried the usual discount places like get the label and mandm? it's always hit and miss but occasionally you get some decent finds on there.

Depending how much money you want to spend I often order from PLNDR.com. It's an American site so not really worth it if you're only buying one or two things but if you're after a lot you can often find some really good deals on there but it also depends if it's you're style or not. Only thing you have to take in account is shipping and customs. I think my last order from them arrived within a week and the customs wasn't too bad either.

Consigliere
I need some t-shirts as well, I find it difficult because I'm tall and slim, most t-shirts are either two short in length or two loose in the arms.

Can anyone recommend some cheap but good quality slim fit t-shirts?

ASOS have a Tall range...so their own brand plus loads of others. Definitely worth a look.

Back
Top Bottom