Rift S DisplayPort issue

Soldato
OP
Yep, tried all 3.

Can anyone walk me through a windows re-install without losing everything?

I don't think I was supplied with a recovery disc when I bought it. I have the Windows S/N on the rear of the case though.

Soldato
Oculus support say they are looking into it and will get back to me in 3-4 days.

It's probably not a good sign that trying some different search terms, I've just found this. 3 months ago, and as far as I can tell, unresolved.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/communi...ay-port-not-connecting-during-setup-to-1080ti

That is exactly the issue I have.

It's a strange problem. Could you have been unlucky enough to get two broken headsets? It does happen, I once got three broken 680 cards in a row.

It's a shame that you have nowhere to test it out. What about a local computer shop? Or the shop you brought it from? Just before you go down the route of doing a windows reinstall?

In regards to doing a windows install without losing everything, I am presuming you have backups of your data? You shouldn't lose any data with the reinstall but better be safe than sorry. If you are talking about saving the programs you have installed, it's not worth it. Just do a complete reinstall and install your programs again.

Soldato
OP
In regards to doing a windows install without losing everything, I am presuming you have backups of your data? You shouldn't lose any data with the reinstall but better be safe than sorry. If you are talking about saving the programs you have installed, it's not worth it. Just do a complete reinstall and install your programs again.

It's more a worry that I won't remember everything I've got installed! :D

All media is on a separate drive anyway.

There's no huge rush really, so I might wait and see if they come up with anything before I go ahead with a re-install.

Associate
Its not going to be a broken unit, its going to be a windows install/SW issue.

Almost certain a new install will cure it unless the makers can come back with something more concrete.

Soldato
I don't think so, but thanks for the idea. :)

Any word back from Oculus yet?

It's a really odd problem. Your issue is slightly different than the link you posted. His didn't work from the beginning. Both your headsets worked until you updated the firmware. If it was a problem with your windows install the headsets shouldn't have worked at all. The issues started happening after you updated the Firmware and that only affects the headset.

It's a shame that you can't try it out on another computer. Even just to upgrade the firmware, in case there is a small hardware problem with your computer that's affecting the firmware upgrade.

Soldato
OP
I may be able to take it to my B-I-Ls house at the weekend. He's the person I sold my Rift to, so already has all the Oculus software set up.

Not heard anything more back from support yet.

Soldato
I may be able to take it to my B-I-Ls house at the weekend. He's the person I sold my Rift to, so already has all the Oculus software set up.

Not heard anything more back from support yet.

Did you try making a new user account on your PC with admin rights, and reinstall the software using that account?

It's probably best just to try it out on the B-I-L's computer first.

Soldato
OP
Yes, unless I hear back from support, I'm not intending to try anything else until after I try a different computer.

Here's a thing which has only just started happening in the last few days. Could it be related (or more likely, I have accidentally changed a setting when stopping all those USB ports from turning off to save power):
When I power down my computer, it is immediately turning back on again. Only happens the first time, and no error messages to indicate that it's failed to shut down properly. Any guesses?

Soldato
You can try going into your network card settings and power management and untick the box that says let this device start the computer.

If that doesn't work, or isn't available, try this.

Or else try turning off fast start. Go here - Windows control panel: Settings > System > "Power & sleep" > "Additional power settings" under "Related settings" > "Choose what the power buttons do" > "Change settings that are currently unavailable" > uncheck "Turn on fast startup

Associate
Yep, anything can knock software thesedays - could be a windows update, something installed... something updated for something installed... or drivers

Just nuke windows, no its not easy but its almost certain to fix this.

Soldato
OP
Support got back to me last night with the suggestion to delete some programs known to conflict. That didn't work, so this morning they have suggested a complete clean install of Oculus.

I nearly fell at the first hurdle, as this included booting to safe mode to uninstall - and I couldn't remember what my offline Windows password is to save my life. Got that sorted though, and Oculus is currently installing... Wish me luck!

Soldato
Support got back to me last night with the suggestion to delete some programs known to conflict. That didn't work, so this morning they have suggested a complete clean install of Oculus.

I nearly fell at the first hurdle, as this included booting to safe mode to uninstall - and I couldn't remember what my offline Windows password is to save my life. Got that sorted though, and Oculus is currently installing... Wish me luck!

Good Luck Bazza!! Hope it worked out. (I am a little late LOL)

Back
Top Bottom