Rift S DisplayPort issue

Soldato
OP
You mean swapping over the cards? I think I'd be asking too much of him!

Mind you, I'm sure the card in his old system was just good enough to run VR. I could certainly ask him if I can borrow that...

Soldato
OP
It's a 1050Ti apparently. So given I already have the nVidia drivers for my 1080Ti, I should be able to just pull one out and install the other.

Might give it a go when I can get it off him - probably next weekend.

Soldato
Support sent a suggestioin which seemed very sensible - a clean boot.

So booted the system with only Microsoft and Oculus services running... still didn't work!

How is this possible!?

Incompatible with my GFX card somehow?

You had just done a full reinstall, not sure how they expected that to work. I guess anything is worth trying.

I think it's the motherboard myself, or maybe the power supply. Why don't you try this.

Update the BIOS to the Latest version(which you probably have done) Then reset the BIOS to defaults, save settings, reboot, go back into the BIOS make sure the defaults are loaded then turn off the computer. Plug out the cable from the back, leave it out for a couple of minutes. After two minutes, hit the power button a few times before you plug back in the cable. Then plug back in the power cable and turn on the computer. See if it's working.

Other things to try.

Change the GPU and USB card into different PCIe slots.
Not sure what PSU you have, but, try using two separate power cables to the graphic cards. Normally there are two PCIe connectors on one cable, and two more on another cable. Use one off each cable. Just in case it's a power issue.

Soldato
OP
I think I mustn't have told support I'd done a Windows reset - hard to remember there's been so many messages!

I say this because of their suggestion above about the clean boot, and now they have suggested a clean re-install.

As I understand the terminology though, they're referring to a re-install which wipes everything from the computer - all programs, all data.

Big question - does it wipe all drives? Or just the C: drive? If it wipes all drives, then I've got some major extra backing up to do - since my D and E drives are my main backup locations. I guess the E drive I could just unplug temporarily since it's just files on that one. D has steam games and the like, so unplugging that might cause some errors...

Soldato
Separate drives. C is an M2 SSD, D and E are both SATA.

Sorry, didn't see this post until now!! If your windows is on a separate drive then you have no issues, you can just let the installer wipe the C: drive and start from scratch. If you want to make sure that you don't make an error you can disconnect the D: and E: drives and reconnect them afterwards when Windows is fully reinstalled.

Soldato
OP
Performed the full clean install (I unplugged the other drives to make absolutely sure).

With the only software re-installed being Geforce Experience and Oculus - the problem still occurs.

Soldato
OP
Power supply is brand new, a Seasonic 650W 80 Plus Gold.

Bios is totally up to date, as I did that recently to resolve an issue I was having with shut downs.

I haven't tried the GPU in a different PCIe slot yet. I'll be getting hold of that GTX1050Ti on Tuesday, so I'll install that into a different slot and try two changes in one.

Associate
Hi all - thought I'd jump in on this thread.

Bit of background info first - had a Rift CV1 that I've just sold, 3 sensor set up, all working perfectly with no issues at all.

Had the itch to upgrade so purchased a Rift S.

I'm having similar issues to the OP.

The headset will work absolutely fine on first installation, but if I close down the Oculus software, on reopening I get either a display port issue, or a headset sensor tracking error, and the only way to resolve is to unplug and then plug back in - into the same USB and display port jacks that I'd unplugged from. I then go through setup again and voila - the headset will then work fine as long as I leave the Oculus software open.........gets rather tedious!!!

I've gone through most of the motions suggested in the thread except for a clean windows install.

My pc is an I5 6600k, 16 GB ram, Palit GTX 1070 super Jetstream, Gigabyte Z170XP mobo.....have noted OP has a Palit card......could this be a common denominator?

CV1 was in hdmi but Rift S is displayport, so now have two displayport points used - one for Rift S and other for monitor.

I was on verge of returning the unit on the premise that it might be faulty.....but this may not be the case.

I hope my issues will give some more clues to the source of the error.

I'll keep reading this thread to see if there are any possible solutions!

Soldato
Power supply is brand new, a Seasonic 650W 80 Plus Gold.

Bios is totally up to date, as I did that recently to resolve an issue I was having with shut downs.

I haven't tried the GPU in a different PCIe slot yet. I'll be getting hold of that GTX1050Ti on Tuesday, so I'll install that into a different slot and try two changes in one.

I understand the PSU might be brand new, it's still worth trying what I said and using two separate PCIe connectors rather than two from the same cable.

If possible you should try the GPU in another slot before Tuesday. You want to rule things out. If you do two changes at once and it works, you won't know which solution solved it. So change the GPU today and if that doesn't work you know it's not the slot.

Soldato
I've gone through most of the motions suggested in the thread except for a clean windows install.

My pc is an I5 6600k, 16 GB ram, Palit GTX 1070 super Jetstream, Gigabyte Z170XP mobo.....have noted OP has a Palit card......could this be a common denominator?

Well Bazza did a clean windows install and it didn't work for him.

I can't imagine that Palit GPUs are all somehow incompatible with the Rift S. That would be very bizarre!!

Can I ask you, do you login to windows with a local account or a Microsoft account?

Associate
Well Bazza did a clean windows install and it didn't work for him.

I can't imagine that Palit GPUs are all somehow incompatible with the Rift S. That would be very bizarre!!

Can I ask you, do you login to windows with a local account or a Microsoft account?

Hi Melmac, my login is via a Microsoft Account - would it be worth trying a local account?

Soldato
Hi Melmac, my login is via a Microsoft Account - would it be worth trying a local account?

It's something one person tried and worked. So, if you have tried everything else, it might be worth trying it before you send it back.

Make a local admin account.

Completely remove the Oculus Software and reinstall it on the local account.

Can't say if it will work or not though.

Soldato
OP
Sorry, I tried to methodically check all the suggestions and reply, but I missed that one - yes, I am using two separate power cables for my GPU.

I know what you are saying is correct about 2 changes at once. But I'm having a frustration break, so I am going to make the GPU change and the PCIe slot change at the same time anyway. If it fixes it, I'll be so pleased that having to then make a further couple of changes to check what was the defining factor will not bother me at all. :)

I also realise now I haven't tried your local account suggestion yet. If the GPU changes don't resolve matters, that will be my next attempt (a few days later again!)

Soldato

Just noticed that you have a Z170 motherboard. Have you tried disabling XMP and putting in the memory timings manually? (if you tried most of the things in this thread, then you have probably tried this already) Also, make sure you remove any overclocks and software like afterburner etc.

Soldato
Sorry, I tried to methodically check all the suggestions and reply, but I missed that one - yes, I am using two separate power cables for my GPU.

I know what you are saying is correct about 2 changes at once. But I'm having a frustration break, so I am going to make the GPU change and the PCIe slot change at the same time anyway. If it fixes it, I'll be so pleased that having to then make a further couple of changes to check what was the defining factor will not bother me at all. :)

I also realise now I haven't tried your local account suggestion yet. If the GPU changes don't resolve matters, that will be my next attempt (a few days later again!)

No problem :) It's frustrating. I have lost track of things myself at this stage lol.

can't say I have any belief that the local account thing will work.

Associate
Just noticed that you have a Z170 motherboard. Have you tried disabling XMP and putting in the memory timings manually? (if you tried most of the things in this thread, then you have probably tried this already) Also, make sure you remove any overclocks and software like afterburner etc.

Will have a look - think I may have input the timings when I built the machine a few years back.

Associate
Seems to be working ok now...... haven't changed anything else, and had already disabled XMP a while back. Not sure why issue has just disappeared, might have got lucky? - will keep an eye on the situation and report back if it starts to play up again.

Soldato
Seems to be working ok now...... haven't changed anything else, and had already disabled XMP a while back. Not sure why issue has just disappeared, might have got lucky? - will keep an eye on the situation and report back if it starts to play up again.

long may it continue working for you!! :)

Back
Top Bottom