Rift s whos getting one?

Soldato
Good stuff! Oculus said that improvements would be coming - the same was true of the touch controllers which had pretty poor tracking until a few updates made them virtually perfect. I'm hoping these improvements also get rolled out to the Quest too.

Certainly it's made the Rift-S more desirable as a replacement for my original Rift now if I need to (though the sound quality is probably the biggest thing that's putting me off getting one).

I think the audio is pretty good on the Rift S now. Gets better with each update. But, I saw a fix for this on Reddit. Buy a cheap pair of Koss KSC75 headphones, it's a simple mod to attach them to the Rift S and you will have sound quality as good as the original rift.

https://imgur.com/gallery/V7zKoN9

Soldato
Sound quality is so important to VR that i just feel like an update will never fix the ever so flawed sound coming from this headset.
And although it takes like 20 seconds to plug in a pair of headphones, i've found myself just going for pancake games instead since getitng the Rift S.

Soldato
Sound quality is so important to VR that i just feel like an update will never fix the ever so flawed sound coming from this headset.
And although it takes like 20 seconds to plug in a pair of headphones, i've found myself just going for pancake games instead since getitng the Rift S.

This is bizarre. You won't play VR because the headphones are bad and there are simple mods out there to attach headphones to the Rift S that takes less than 20 minutes and only costs about £15. You would have sound as good, if not better, than the OG Rift.

Also, have you used the Rift S since the 1.38.1 update? It's a night and day difference. If the sound still sucks, you must be wearing the headset so the straps are a long way from the ears. Try setting the straps lower on your head. You will have a bit more of a nose gap, but the sound is way better.

Try the PTC 1.39 update, it further improves the audio.

Associate
This is bizarre. You won't play VR because the headphones are bad and there are simple mods out there to attach headphones to the Rift S that takes less than 20 minutes and only costs about £15. You would have sound as good, if not better, than the OG Rift.

Also, have you used the Rift S since the 1.38.1 update? It's a night and day difference. If the sound still sucks, you must be wearing the headset so the straps are a long way from the ears. Try setting the straps lower on your head. You will have a bit more of a nose gap, but the sound is way better.

Precisely this. The audio has improved considerably since launch, but people still insist on spewing the same rhetoric.

Soldato
Precisely this. The audio has improved considerably since launch, but people still insist on spewing the same rhetoric.

The saying "there's only one chance to make a first impression' holds true, which is why it's important to get launches right.

The original Rift had a reputation for a long while of poor tracking, when in reality most of the issues were solved via various updates.

Soldato

I tried it again today and it still sucks.

Its better than before but it sucked even harder before.

The tracking on the Rift S after the update is now absurdly amazing. I just played Sacrliege, bow and arrow game, and I was doing some weird ass bow pulls just to test it out and it was flawless.

And the fact is it will probably only improve as they gather more data for their tracking algorithms. I was wrong.. inside-out is the future Oculus, even for the high end.

Soldato

Yeah I know its bizzare. I think its just pure laziness. That one simply act of plugging in the short headphone cable, enabling pass through, and then plugging in the headphones turns into -> finding the cable -> trying to find headphones which have been moved upstairs -> coming back downstairs, then putting back on the headset and connecting the headphones.. blahblah.

Audio is really really really important to me in all forms of medium. I hope Oculus next gen somehow manage to mimic the AKG 712 sound stage in some speaker type form like Valve have managed to do.

Yeah, I should really just do a simple mod for it. Can you reccomend me any £15 mods please which will give me good audio quality?

Although I appreciate the sound might have improved, by design its just very obvious the sound is going to be awful for its entire lifespan. I need at least CV1 level audio quality. I thought that was actually the bottom line of premium for audio quality in VR.

Soldato
Yeah I know its bizzare. I think its just pure laziness. That one simply act of plugging in the short headphone cable, enabling pass through, and then plugging in the headphones turns into -> finding the cable -> trying to find headphones which have been moved upstairs -> coming back downstairs, then putting back on the headset and connecting the headphones.. blahblah.

Audio is really really really important to me in all forms of medium. I hope Oculus next gen somehow manage to mimic the AKG 712 sound stage in some speaker type form like Valve have managed to do.

Yeah, I should really just do a simple mod for it. Can you reccomend me any £15 mods please which will give me good audio quality?

Although I appreciate the sound might have improved, by design its just very obvious the sound is going to be awful for its entire lifespan. I need at least CV1 level audio quality. I thought that was actually the bottom line of premium for audio quality in VR.

I have already recommended the Koss KSC75. It's a simple mod. Beelzebubuk has posted the link above.

Soldato
Got a rift s today, bit of a massive impulse buy and I was very shocked to see argos selling them. But reserved online and 5 minutes later was walking out store with it.

I'm loving the vr experience so. My first headset so nothing to compare too. I'm not sure if it's vr or me but it seems kind blurry sometimes, is that normal?

Also what go to games would you all recommend. I mainly got it for my driving set up as the next logical step from triple screen was vr. But obviously I'm going to try out as much as possible.so far all I've played is superhot and blade and sorcerer. Got serious Sam 3, hotdogs horseshoes and hand grenades and keep talking and nobody explodes downloaded to have a play any tomorrow. Any more you'd suggest to try out?

Soldato
robo recall asap
Got a rift s today, bit of a massive impulse buy and I was very shocked to see argos selling them. But reserved online and 5 minutes later was walking out store with it.

I'm loving the vr experience so. My first headset so nothing to compare too. I'm not sure if it's vr or me but it seems kind blurry sometimes, is that normal?

Also what go to games would you all recommend. I mainly got it for my driving set up as the next logical step from triple screen was vr. But obviously I'm going to try out as much as possible.so far all I've played is superhot and blade and sorcerer. Got serious Sam 3, hotdogs horseshoes and hand grenades and keep talking and nobody explodes downloaded to have a play any tomorrow. Any more you'd suggest to try out?

Associate

Check out Pavlov VR on steam.

Soldato

Mine arrived yesterday from OCUK, my first impression was "this is not better then the DK2" screen wise but I appear to have an issue with VR where my eyes try and focus on the headset not what im looking at. it happens when i first put the headset on but gets better with time.

Im pretty impressed with the Rift S now after a few hours messing around. Touch controllers are cool (never tried them before) the screen and headset is much nicer than the DK2 i used before, the sound isnt as crap as people were saying but if the headset would allow me to wear my Steelseries headphones over the band i would.

I enjoyed Arizona Sunshine, and I am buying The Vadar game and Robo - Recall tonight on Oculus store. on steam ive picked up a few games, sale being on is good timing

Back
Top Bottom