Rift s whos getting one?

Soldato
I wouldn't pay the same price or higher for a used one anyway - if something goes wrong you'd have warranty issues.

You get 30 days warranty with Amazon Warehouse.

Might sell my S as only been using the Quest recently don't really want to risk the Post Office or courier drop-off at the moment though.

Soldato
You get 30 days warranty with Amazon Warehouse.

Might sell my S as only been using the Quest recently don't really want to risk the Post Office or courier drop-off at the moment though.

Do you not have an Amazon drop off machine or Inpost drop off machine near you ? Usually at petrol stations or outside local shops. Some inside Morrisons supermarket.

Soldato
Do you not have an Amazon drop off machine or Inpost drop off machine near you ? Usually at petrol stations or outside local shops. Some inside Morrisons supermarket.

Didn't even know that was a thing :D I have picked up from an Amazon machine before from a garage a few miles away, none local. Don't even have a marketplace seller account and feel it would be a bit hypocritical to sell something as I wouldn't buy off a newly launched seller with a barge pole.

@SupraWez Ta. I'll have a look. have they not all increased their prices because of whats going on?

Soldato
Nothing could have prepared me for how good the Rift S and VR is overall. I've never used a VR headset until Friday so have no reference but the Rift S is a great unit with regards to quality/cost.

So far I've purchased Saints and Sinners, Half Life and Vadar Immortal. Good fun.

Soldato
Nothing could have prepared me for how good the Rift S and VR is overall. I've never used a VR headset until Friday so have no reference but the Rift S is a great unit with regards to quality/cost.

So far I've purchased Saints and Sinners, Half Life and Vadar Immortal. Good fun.

You are right, nothing can prepare you for the moment you put on a VR headset. Reviews, videos etc don't even come close.

I would recommend you get Robo Recall. It's still one of the best VR experiences out there.

Also try the Rec Room and the Lab. There are both free, the Lab is only on Steam.

Soldato

It's the touch controllers which make all the difference - having your hands in VR, and having them copy your finger movements and letting you pick up and manipulate objects with normal hand movements totally blew me away when I first tried it.

But if you think that's good then you need to try Lone Echo, which has arms that also almost flawlessly mimic your arm positions.The voodoo magic IK they do for that is way ahead of most other games. Makes you really feel like you're there.

Soldato
Nice printed holder there...
You'd have a market I'm sure.
Looking at a quick fix myself, thought about using some 3m command hooks on the wall?
How are other people storing theirs?

They're not my design so couldn't really sell them, credit to this guy for the awesome design though: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3678066

I wouldn't mind printing some more for the cost of postage and consumables though.

Soldato
Rift S arrived from Amazon warehouse which I paid £389 for, bottom line not too happy, very small abrasion to the headset, nothing that I probably would do myself over time, however one of the controller halo rings is cracked!

Anyway turns out all the kit still works fine but obviously still not happy as no where did it detail that a controller was damaged, had a good old moan to Amazon and they have offered 30% of the purchase price as a refund, so I've decided to keep the headset since all works fine anyway.

This means the set cost me £272

Last edited:
Soldato
Rift S arrived from Amazon warehouse which I paid £389 for, bottom line not too happy, very small abrasion to the headset, nothing that I probably would do myself over time, however one of the controller halo rings is cracked!

Anyway turns out all the kit still works fine but obviously still not happy as no where did it detail that a controller was damaged, had a good old moan to Amazon and they have offered 30% of the purchase price as a refund, so I've decided to keep the headset since all works fine anyway.

This means the set cost me £272

Good result! One of the halo rings on my Quest touch controller (same as the Rift S) has a crack in it where I whacked it into the wall. It's a common issue with the new touch controllers which are less robust than the CV1 controllers (which are made of an alloy of Adamantium and Nokia phone plastic).

If the controller has a clean break at the top of the ring, then this is can be due to a design flaw and Oculus have been known to replace controllers with that fault.

You can get silicone 'bumpers' for the controllers which can help prevent cracks, or keep cracks from getting worse.

Soldato
Good result! One of the halo rings on my Quest touch controller (same as the Rift S) has a crack in it where I whacked it into the wall. It's a common issue with the new touch controllers which are less robust than the CV1 controllers (which are made of an alloy of Adamantium and Nokia phone plastic).

If the controller has a clean break at the top of the ring, then this is can be due to a design flaw and Oculus have been known to replace controllers with that fault.

You can get silicone 'bumpers' for the controllers which can help prevent cracks, or keep cracks from getting worse.

Thanks!

Here is a picture of the crack, clean crack right down the middle

20200414-140554.jpg

Soldato
That's a classic design flaw crack. I'd try getting in touch with Oculus support - they may well replace. Don't glue it back together unless you're sure Oculus won't replace it. Alternatively get a silicone bumper to hold it all together.

Oh, and Oculus don't do advance replacements, so you have to send the controller back to them before they will replace it. You may decide it's not worth being without it given how difficult it's been to get hold of a Rift S.

Soldato
That's a classic design flaw crack. I'd try getting in touch with Oculus support - they may well replace. Don't glue it back together unless you're sure Oculus won't replace it. Alternatively get a silicone bumper to hold it all together.

Oh, and Oculus don't do advance replacements, so you have to send the controller back to them before they will replace it. You may decide it's not worth being without it given how difficult it's been to get hold of a Rift S.

Okay, I may just get a rubber bumper for it and forget about it. I waited ages to get hold of one of these, I feel with Amazons compensation for shipping the item like this it is worthwhile..

Associate
To anybody else struggling to track one of these down - they just came into stock on oculus.com 'Dispatched by April 16'

Back
Top Bottom