Rimworld - strategy base building sci-fi indie game

Soldato
I have a feeling I will love this game, but I am finding it hard to find my feet on it. It's insanely complicated to begin with.

I guess it's off to youtube and such for tutorials!

http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Quickstart_Guides

That's got me plenty far enough to get my feet under me and start knowing enough (without having to watch a 20 minute youtube video - maybe it's just me but I find them tiresome when 10 paragraphs of text covers what I need to know).

The only bit I'd add is to get a second room built with a couple of beds in, select the bed and set it as a prison bed (makes the rest of the beds in the room prison beds too). May well net you additional people. I haven't worked out how to feed prisoners yet but... working on it.
Ok, and that it's worth making a single large room for stuff like table, chairs, entertainment. Think like a communal living/working room with a few bedrooms around it. Steel can be mined from rocks with a kind of VERY pale red, "Styrofoam" look to them.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm a novice, actually just started a completely random game to see how I get on but my priority is always:

1. Food into blocked off area with sleeping spot(s)
2. growing area (6x6 to begin with) laid out with strawberries.
3. pets restricted to the food area to prevent them dying early on, nothing worse than a dead pet setting one of your sensitive colonists off early days.
4. Begin construction of fridge and kitchen.
5. Bedroomcells (1x2) for each colonist, no reason to go big bedroom to begin with.

The "work" area at the left of the bottom bar is vital, get to know how manual priorities work, early on I tend to have someone who's main purpose is mining, one who's hauling, one who's growing/construction. Doesn't matter what their skills are for any of that except construction - it's costly early on to lost components because some knuckle dragger has failed too often to make solar panels !

Soldato
I'm a novice, actually just started a completely random game to see how I get on but my priority is always:

1. Food into blocked off area with sleeping spot(s)
2. growing area (6x6 to begin with) laid out with strawberries.
3. pets restricted to the food area to prevent them dying early on, nothing worse than a dead pet setting one of your sensitive colonists off early days.
4. Begin construction of fridge and kitchen.
5. Bedroomcells (1x2) for each colonist, no reason to go big bedroom to begin with.

The "work" area at the left of the bottom bar is vital, get to know how manual priorities work, early on I tend to have someone who's main purpose is mining, one who's hauling, one who's growing/construction. Doesn't matter what their skills are for any of that except construction - it's costly early on to lost components because some knuckle dragger has failed too often to make solar panels !

Good tips for start, I'd suggest though that bigger bedrooms isn't really going to cost anything (unless you're packing a base into a mountain) and it does help a bit with mood.

It makes life fairly easy (as far as temperature goes) to build a couple of heaters on a wall and have vents to pass air inside, even more so for mountain bases (as you'd need them sucking air from the outside). Also strawberries require someone with 5+ growing skills. Can take a bit of clicking to get a random colonist with that and no major penalties (with the right age/sex/other ski... etc :p)

Last edited:
Soldato
So is this where you always start with future tech or do start from the basic axe and campfire stuff ?

If you played ark you can start at the stone age and work your way up the tech tree.

Soldato
Good tips for start, I'd suggest though that bigger bedrooms isn't really going to cost anything (unless you're packing a base into a mountain) and it does help a bit with mood.

It makes life fairly easy (as far as temperature goes) to build a couple of heaters on a wall and have vents to pass air inside, even more so for mountain bases (as you'd need them sucking air from the outside). Also strawberries require someone with 5+ growing skills. Can take a bit of clicking to get a random colonist with that and no major penalties (with the right age/sex/other ski... etc :p)

My random game which will get shoved on youtube is basically filled with all the colonists I hate having to deal with.

Main guy (was the rich explorer scenario) is a Brawler - yet I only start with a gun which gives a -20 to mood when he equips it, he's also sensitive to drones.

The very first recruit I got was a woman, who hates men.. fortunately she's more use with a gun than my starting chap!

third has almost no skills of any kind, kept her as I really think I need numbers and at least she can mine if nothing else.

I am on a flat desert map, never done one before but thankfully I have year round growing (picked at random) and temps are very kind so it could have been worse :D

At the moment I'll probably just focus on building a base, didn't realise how hard getting wood would be in the desert even though it's pretty obviously going to lack trees! and due to the absense of mountains which I'm use to even getting stone isn't straightforward!

Associate
I dont mind the odd recruit who's near on useless, i kinda welcome having people i can prioritise for cleaning and hauling (certainly when im at around 6+ pawns).

I havent really pushed myself with this so far, i've kept it on simple because its just a mean little bully of a game :D Once ive realised the importance, i've been going with the largest map size (under 'Advanced' iirc when picking the plot, i cant really think of a reason why you'd go for less if your system can handle it... or even if it cant :D) and typically where its had year round growing because you need all the help you can get.

Things werent helped once i discovered the dev menu, i only wanted to mess with a few things, and since then ive been unable to turn it off or stop myself from blatantly cheating, but still spawning in multiple brutal assaults just to see the results. One of the times i must have spawned in about 10 of the hardest possible assaults (must have been some tribals with 50ppl), and with mods this included soldiers with much more advanced tech as well as the Mechs, and cos they're spawned in wherever, various fights would break out between the different colonies.
The only thing i really dislike in the game is the infestations, they're just pure evil.

I need to try and go back to playing legit and not being such a [insert selection of **'d words] every time something goes wrong, and bloomin disable dev mode! :D I need to embrace failure!

I dont think it helps that i've been naming the pawns after friends, but with mods like Prepare carefully i can at least create my starting conditions & group, save them, and reuse them each time i fail. When i was spending 15-30min on rerolls for my group, and then doing something stupid it was too annoying wasting all that time, so reloading became the solution, which became an overused solution every time something went wrong. :o

Brilliant game, evil through and through though :mad:

Soldato
http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Quickstart_Guides

That's got me plenty far enough to get my feet under me and start knowing enough (without having to watch a 20 minute youtube video - maybe it's just me but I find them tiresome when 10 paragraphs of text covers what I need to know).

The only bit I'd add is to get a second room built with a couple of beds in, select the bed and set it as a prison bed (makes the rest of the beds in the room prison beds too). May well net you additional people. I haven't worked out how to feed prisoners yet but... working on it.
Ok, and that it's worth making a single large room for stuff like table, chairs, entertainment. Think like a communal living/working room with a few bedrooms around it. Steel can be mined from rocks with a kind of VERY pale red, "Styrofoam" look to them.

Thanks! I don't have a great deal of time this week but next week I will look through all of this stuff. Anything anyone can give me is much appreciated.

Man of Honour
Right now I'm trying my hardest on an ice shelf with -40.4c average and no growing, hydroponics only :)
I keep failing :p

There should be growing even on ice shelf's. Just use the grow zone tool to find out what ground you cab grow on then build a room with heating and grow light around it, saves lots of meterials and energy at the start not needing hydroponics.

However growing land will be small and broken up.

If you haven't great a bed around a geothermal vent with an airlock straight away to keep them warm.

Soldato
My colony is starving because hunting is going as planned. My colonist can kill deer fine, but they always get dragged to my waste stockpike, and there is no option to butcher the meat or anything... I've got a food storage area, with a refrigerator any everything!

Associate
My colony is starving because hunting is going as planned. My colonist can kill deer fine, but they always get dragged to my waste stockpike, and there is no option to butcher the meat or anything... I've got a food storage area, with a refrigerator any everything!

You need a butcher's table and then to assign a bill to it. I always just set it was "do this forever" so the cook butchers all animals that get deposited.

Or if you have that, maybe you have your normal stockpile set to not accept corpses?

Associate
I'm not hijacking this thread, just a short question in between which doesn't seem worth its own thread.
I've never been able to get into any crafting games, but I'd like to try one that comes with recommendations from you, as you seem to know what you're talking about. Oh, and I really, really, really don't like Minecraft.
I'm torn between getting Terraria, Factorio, Starbound, Project Zomboid, or Rimworld. Which would you recommend as having the least grinding. Or is there anything better than these?
I have this problem that I get annoyed when I can never get to what I want to do because I'm busy trying not to starve the majority of the time.
Prison Architect is great, I enjoyed the hell out of that, but that's not really a crafting game, is it?

Associate
I'm not hijacking this thread, just a short question in between which doesn't seem worth its own thread.
I've never been able to get into any crafting games, but I'd like to try one that comes with recommendations from you, as you seem to know what you're talking about. Oh, and I really, really, really don't like Minecraft.
I'm torn between getting Terraria, Factorio, Starbound, Project Zomboid, or Rimworld. Which would you recommend as having the least grinding. Or is there anything better than these?
I have this problem that I get annoyed when I can never get to what I want to do because I'm busy trying not to starve the majority of the time.
Prison Architect is great, I enjoyed the hell out of that, but that's not really a crafting game, is it?

Out of those you listed I have Terraria, Factorio and Rimworld. I love all three but Terraria is where I have put the most hours. It's not exactly difficult though, but it has a lot of progression and it has a fantastic crafting system.

Factorio is great and has the survival aspect too and has a much, much deeper crafting mechanic than any of the others in my opinion. It's mainly about figuring out automation of assembly lines though, but mainly in order to allow you to survive the aliens.

Rimworld is amazing but can be extremely difficult and it doesn't have much of an endgame right now. It doesn't have that deep of a crafting system either. I haven't tried mods yet though which I have heard can expand items significantly.

Honestly I'd go watch some videos and streams. Cohhcarnage has his huge Terraria stream session on youtube now (from July 2015 so relatively up to date), Arumba + Shen got me into Factorio with their beginner series which is on youtube too and Quil18 has some fantastic Rimworld videos if you want to see that for yourself.

All three would cost you £45 total at max Steam price, but you could get them cheaper through other sites. Honestly I'd say all three are worth £45, I have well over 100 hours on them which you barely even get from most AAA games these days.

Last edited:
Associate
Cheers for that, although there's no way I'd spend that amount of money on all of them, especially as I'm doubtful whether I enjoy the genre.
So at the moment I'm leaning towards Terraria, but I'm interested in Starbound just because of the scope, particularly as it's been officially released as version 1.0 now.
I've had a look at some of the videos, but to be honest, the more I look at them the more I sort of shrink back. Difficult.

Soldato

It's hard to say as they are all a bit different except Starbound and Terraria, which have some similarties. I'll list what I think below in case it's helpful. I'd recommend any of them as they are all excellent but it depends what flavour of game you fancy playing. There's two other games I could recommend also: Don't Starve and This War of Mine

All of these below aren't too bad when it comes to not starving. All either don't need it or it can be automated so you don't have to do much work to keep food going. The hardest one to get that done though is Project Zomboid as you'll spend a lot of time scavenging until you can start properly growing crops.

RimWorld: Single player survival colony management game. Fixed top-down view. This game is more about keeping your colonists alive through farming, hunting, surviving raids, fighting off disease, etc. They have tons of moods, positive and negative, and can suffer mental breakdowns if they aren't kept happy. Spawn on one randomly generated map, varies in size but generally not massive. Lots of mods to use with Steam Workshop.

Project Zomboid: Single player survival open world zombie game. Fixed isometric view. The game is all about your one character surviving as long as possible. Searching homes and buildings for loot to keep going (food etc), building up fortifications, keeping your character from a break down, and fighting off zombies. Once you die it's all over. Two very large pre-set areas to explore. Lots of mods to use with Steam Workshop.

Factorio: Single/Multplayer gathering game with RTS aspects and some survival. Fixed top down (ish) view. You build machines and factories using more and more advanced technology with the ultimate goal of starting from nothing to launching a satellite. Lots of resource gathering with some survival stuff from local population and plant life. Pretty huge map to work with. Lots of mods, but not on Steam Workshop.

Starbound/Terraria: Single/Multplayer games. I'll group these as they are quite similar. 2D side-scrolling fixed view. Both are sandbox games with action/adventure aspects (quests, bosses, monsters to fight, etc). Lots of exploring and combat with huge procedurally generated areas to explore. Starbound lets you travel to other planets. Lots of mods for both although just Starbound uses Steam Workshop.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom