Rimworld - strategy base building sci-fi indie game

Soldato
What's the best way to feed animals?

I've got 2 fields dedicated to hay, growing all year round. As well as kibble making, but it never seems to be enough.

Make the area inside their fence a growing plot and plant daffodils, animals will eat them. Seem to work well for me. They grow very quickly and give your planters pawns a good boost in xp. I also had a cold room for hay with a double skinned wall, hallway entrance with two animal flaps, to keep the cold in.

Associate
Depends. Build in a mountain (but then you get infestations instead), pull back, rally the troops and attack, or a bit metagamey and not suitable for your current base with all that wood- put at least 6 tiles of wooden floor in each otherwise stone room that can be hit with a quick molotov, fry em in place. You'll probably lose the contents of the room, but reasonable chance the same thing happens in a firefight anyway.

Soldato
Started working on starship research and had my 1st seige last. Didn't realise they were building mortars until it was too late...
Raids are definitely ramping up, which while costly, are fun. The raids were getting a bit stale, most were running away after a few people got taken down by traps at the entrance.

Are there anyway to reinforce roofs? I'm getting tired of my rec room being destroyed by drop pods.

Associate
Not in vanilla but as with rimworld questions, there's a mod for that. Expanded roofing iirc the name correctly, adds thick ones that function like mountains (ie drop pods go splat) and solar.

Soldato
Got 40 hours in the game now and I'm really considering buying all the DLC for my next colony.

Would buying everything at once be too overwhelming?

Soldato
Probably but you're still relatively new to mechanics so might not actually be too bad. I've not got biotech yet and out of the other two I'd pick Royalty over Ideology.

Soldato
Playing with Cassandra Classic on "Adventure story" and the amount of raiders she's throwing at me!

zJ04VpK.jpg

I don't know how long it's going to take to get rid of all these bodies. I had to drop an orbital bombardment on my own base to stop them.

Need soooo much steel.

Permabanned
I've been playing on my old save lately, on a low difficulty setting because I don't want my base to burn. Very fun and relaxing. With 300 mods no less. Let me big up some the good ones.

Using most of the mods in that list. Some of them are very good, essential even. CE, Real Ruins, Dubs Hygiene. Pick up and haul another must-have. SRTS is brilliant although a bit cheaty. Annoyingly I still to this day haven't got far enough into a game to experience the others as I keep restarting.

I usually find another mod I want and apply mid-game which is supposed to be okay, but sometimes it just overrides everything else forcing you to start a new game. Testing another wave of mods at the moment and everything seems to be working now. Quite liking Rimwar so far. Haven't tested it much but raids and caravans travel from their home settlements to their destination in real-time which you can see, rather than just spawning on your doorstep at random. You still get drop pods though without warning.

So how similar is this to Dwarf Fortress in the end? I keep hearing about it.

DF looks harder in terms of learning and gameplay. I'd like to give it a go but I think it's a bit too hardcore for me, and on the surface, it doesn't look as nice or as fun to play despite the massive graphic upgrade. I think some of its strengths are that it probably has much stronger storytelling, history, lore, etc. From what little I've seen it just doesn't give af and something might spawn at any time that wipes you out which you are powerless to stop.

Rimworld isn't that hardcore in the realm of 'losing is fun.' It can be like that but the difficulty is generally tailored to your colony wealth, so the worst you can experience is the AI throwing you several curve balls in quick succession when you're doing well. Not so hot on the story elements either. You make your own story based on the randomness of events and situations which is fine, but probably feels very artificial and disjointed in comparison.

Overall I don't really know :)

Caporegime
Using most of the mods in that list. Some of them are very good, essential even. CE, Real Ruins, Dubs Hygiene. Pick up and haul another must-have. SRTS is brilliant although a bit cheaty. Annoyingly I still to this day haven't got far enough into a game to experience the others as I keep restarting.

I usually find another mod I want and apply mid-game which is supposed to be okay, but sometimes it just overrides everything else forcing you to start a new game. Testing another wave of mods at the moment and everything seems to be working now. Quite liking Rimwar so far. Haven't tested it much but raids and caravans travel from their home settlements to their destination in real-time which you can see, rather than just spawning on your doorstep at random. You still get drop pods though without warning.

DF looks harder in terms of learning and gameplay. I'd like to give it a go but I think it's a bit too hardcore for me, and on the surface, it doesn't look as nice or as fun to play despite the massive graphic upgrade. I think some of its strengths are that it probably has much stronger storytelling, history, lore, etc. From what little I've seen it just doesn't give af and something might spawn at any time that wipes you out which you are powerless to stop.

Rimworld isn't that hardcore in the realm of 'losing is fun.' It can be like that but the difficulty is generally tailored to your colony wealth, so the worst you can experience is the AI throwing you several curve balls in quick succession when you're doing well. Not so hot on the story elements either. You make your own story based on the randomness of events and situations which is fine, but probably feels very artificial and disjointed in comparison.

Overall I don't really know :)
I would say (some might disagree) that DF doesn't really have any "storytelling". Every dorf, colony, empire has a history, which you can seek out, but it's absolutey not a story game. You can simply not bother to look at any of it, and it doesn't affect the gameplay.

DF used to have a very steep learning curve, but I think some of that has gone away over time. Some things like aquifers that used to be an almost insurmountable challenge, are now almost entirely removed.

DF continues to improve the UI and the user experience.

Thanks for your summary of RW. It's definitely on my radar, if it ever goes on sale :p

Soldato
Thanks for your summary of RW. It's definitely on my radar, if it ever goes on sale :p

Yeah it doesn't happen often but lately, especially base game, does get some discounts during sales. Honestly though it's worth every penny even at full price. I've not played RW much in last 12 months and it's still my most played game on Steam, funnily enough my 2nd most played game on steam (Battletech) has exactly half the hours played. 1076 v 538 hrs :)

Soldato
the dlc dont go below 10% but i belive worth while.
20% for main game.
keep looking at getting the dlc's but they are a tad pricey for how much i play it at the moment

Associate
They are worth it in the long term, if only for mods requiring them.

But if your playtime is limited, definitely nothing wrong with vanilla, hell I'd imagine a good chunk of us in this thread started during early access, so can safely say vanilla is a complete experience, but the DLCs do add more.

Back
Top Bottom