RIP Windows Phone

What exactly does the Facebook Apps battery drain issue on iOS and Android have to do with this thread?

A thread where some people have suggested you shouldn't be allowed to post unless you own a Windows Phone?

OcUK logic. Sense it no make of much do.

Personally I don't think IE on WP is fine. For me it crashes then fails to resume where it crashed. It does this a lot. It won't load pages in the background. Open browser windows just disappear, meaning you've got to re-navigate to them. It can't handle the formatting on many sites. It can't handle our work Outlook webmail. Its often brutally slow. There are no alternatives that's work much better.

So no you don't need apps. But you do need a decent browser. IE isn't one.

Odd, I have never had any issues with IE under Windows phone. It just works, which is all I could ask. Maybe Edge is better, or maybe not !

My work phone is a Lumia 635 I think it is? And I just don't use it, I divert it to my phone and just use that. I just can't get to grips with them.

I like competition in the marketplace and it kills me to see Microsoft doing so badly but they really deserve it at this point. They just don't care.

I cannot understand the appeal of Windows Phone. What does it do better than any other platform? I would genuinely like to know.

....What does it do better than any other platform? I

would genuinely like to know.

On the same hardware it was much faster. Thats been matched on Android by advances in hardware now (2~3GB of RAM etc). You got updates direct from MS rather than if a operator decides to release updates. Almost all apps could be stored on SD card. Proper offline maps. Proper media controls on lock screen in the OS. No bloated apps from manufacturers much like a Nexus phone. Used to get better hardware cheaper. Thats not true anymore.

It was generally very simple and clear to use. Android has caught up a bit this regard. Used to be Android was a zillion options to do something simple and not that slick.

I had no end of issues with IE on mine, and like OspreyO said, there was no decent alternative to chose either.

I've not tried Edge.

Edge actually was much better than IE when I last tried it about a month ago. But the rest of WP10 was too buggy to be a daily driver for me. I think its better on some phones like the 640 but worse on others.

On the same hardware it was much faster.

I've heard that so many times, and it simply isn't true

Over the past few years I've owned a lot of phones. The 2ng gen moto g and lumia 640 are around the same specs, yet the moto was the quicker phone. When I say quicker, it was night and day quicker.

The moto lagged now and again, not much....yet the lumia was a nightmare. You couldn't even surf hotukdeals using the browser it was that laggy.....and no, my phone wasn't faulty!

Like I've said a few times, I've tried it twice and use it a fair bit at work through MDM policies. It's a total shambles.

Last edited:
On the same hardware it was much faster. Thats been matched on Android by advances in hardware now (2~3GB of RAM etc). You got updates direct from MS rather than if a operator decides to release updates. Almost all apps could be stored on SD card. Proper offline maps. Proper media controls on lock screen in the OS. No bloated apps from manufacturers much like a Nexus phone. Used to get better hardware cheaper. Thats not true anymore.

It was generally very simple and clear to use. Android has caught up a bit this regard. Used to be Android was a zillion options to do something simple and not that slick.

Did the updates from MS happen on non Lumia devices? I seem to remember that the HTC I had was abandoned and stopped getting updates just like any non Nexus phones does too.

...The moto lagged now and again, not much....yet the lumia was a nightmare. You couldn't even surf hotukdeals using the browser it was that laggy.....and no, my phone wasn't faulty!....

You're comparing browsers. Not the same thing. IE was poor no argument.

I was talking about the OS itself. Making a call, texting, things like that. Which is down to how it managed memory. The disadvantage was WP would put drop things out of memory quicker. Meaning it spent a lot of time resuming. Refreshing web pages and apps. If they weren't the last thing you used. Which is why Android works better with more memory.

The Moto G isn't representative of the Android market in general. Its closer to a nexus device. Also the 640 is a device that appeared late. Its part of the period we are saying Microsoft let WP fall behind. Look what else appeared at that time. 535 a device plague by a poor screen, and lag. Same with the 435.

You're comparing browsers. Not the same thing. IE was poor no argument.

I was talking about the OS itself. Making a call, texting, things like that. Which is down to how it managed memory. The disadvantage was WP would put drop things out of memory quicker. Meaning it spent a lot of time resuming. Refreshing web pages and apps. If they weren't the last thing you used. Which is why Android works better with more memory.

The Moto G isn't representative of the Android market in general. Its closer to a nexus device. Also the 640 is a device that appeared late. Its part of the period we are saying Microsoft let WP fall behind. Look what else appeared at that time. 535 a device plague by a poor screen, and lag. Same with the 435.

I used that as an example yes, the app resuming thing was a nightmare alright. How on earth after all these years is it still rubbish.

Did the updates from MS happen on non Lumia devices? I seem to remember that the HTC I had was abandoned and stopped getting updates just like any non Nexus phones does too.

AFAIK it got the MS updates (but very late). But not the lumia updates. The lumia updates added a lot of value to the WP. Which is why IMO Nokia, selling out, was a bad thing.

The problem with the HTC 8S was it only had 4GB of RAM so it wasn't able to be hold the updates. They figured out some way of doing it eventually. Dunno about others.

http://www.windowscentral.com/are-you-getting-windows-phone-81-your-htc-8x

Back
Top Bottom