RIP Windows Phone

Since nobody has been able to say what Windows Phone does better, I guess there's nothing.

Can't wait to try the 950 :rolleyes:

More than anything it does things differently I guess rather than better or worse. And then it is personal preference - you like it better or you don't. I do. But I won't bad-mouth Android. I have a 1st gen Moto-G as well and it is a cracking little phone. Prefer to use WP, but happy using that also. Apple is another matter though, I really dislike that, but I appreciate that others do.

I'll bet you aren't going to like the 950. You've made enough negative comments about WP, that is the mindset that you have, and the result is inevitable.

Last edited:
What discussion.

Any reason anyone here has said why they like it more, its immediately shot down.

The one other posters are able to engage in but you seem to struggle with.

Like I said, if you're not interested in answering people's questions, you don't have to keep replying to them, maybe you could step away and let others tell us why they like Windows and why they feel it's best, the discussion might progress beyond pointless waffling then.

Universal apps.

Ah, Universal Apps. The perfect example of the "wait, wait, hold on.... it will come... just wait a bit longer" problem with Windows Phone.

Windows 10 was announced in September 2014, and it would bring a single Universal experience across all devices.

Fast forward to July 2015, Windows 10 is released.... but not on phones....

Fast forward to January 2016.... Windows 10 still isn't released on phones....

And now were being told we need to wait until summer 2016 for the next update to bring the features.

Its going to have been nearly 2 years between Microsoft stating what they were going to do, and actually starting to look like maybe being able to start looking at doing what they wanted to do.

Since nobody has been able to say what Windows Phone does better, I guess there's nothing.

Can't wait to try the 950 :rolleyes:

Its already been answered but your not listening and/or interested.

What does Android phones (in general) do badly. Fragmentation of the OS. Forced obsolescence and the associated security issues. Laggy on many devices, especially mid to low end. Not able to move apps to SD card. Personally I hate the convergence of different credentials, personal information,across apps, and services. Much harder to silo personal information using google services. Windows OS handles much if this better IMO. If I was to stay with WP it would be for many of those reasons. But much of it is subjective. In the same way a good camera is useful to some, not relevant to others. Ditto sound quality on phone. Some simply don't care, some its very important.

What does Android phones (in general) do badly. Fragmentation of the OS. Forced obsolescence and the associated security issues. Laggy on many devices, especially mid to low end. Not able to move apps to SD card. Personally I hate the convergence of different credentials, personal information,across apps, and services. Much harder to silo personal information using google services. Windows OS handles much if this better IMO. If I was to stay with WP it would be for many of those reasons. But much of it is subjective. In the same way a good camera is useful to some, not relevant to others. Ditto sound quality on phone. Some simply don't care, some its very important.

Personally I would hardly call an inability to manage a single and consistent user presence and experience across apps a 'feature', but each to their own. :p.

Google Now is utterly fantastic! Occasionally a bit alarming, but fantastic! The collection and analysis of personal information has done nothing but improve my Android/Google experience.

Fragmentation and obsolescence are definitely big negatives for Android, however their biggest impact is generally that they cause you to lose access to latest applications, so whilst Windows doesn't suffer from Fragmentation or obsolescence in the same way, the end result of lack of app support is already there.

The personal information thing has never bothered me much and I've been driven into making Microsoft accounts no different to making Google ones on my Android, so I've not noticed much difference there.

Apps to SD has been ok for me and now you can seamlessly join it all as one partition.

At least Android has the option of using SD cards at all. I imagine you would be instantly fired if you mentioned SD cards in the Apple offices :p

The Apps on SD thing is a pain, but predominantly because it drives the "pricing by capacity" model for handsets, which winds me up no end. Charging hundreds of £s for a few pennies worth of Flash storage is appalling.

Ah, Universal Apps. The perfect example of the "wait, wait, hold on.... it will come... just wait a bit longer" problem with Windows Phone.

Windows 10 was announced in September 2014, and it would bring a single Universal experience across all devices.

Fast forward to July 2015, Windows 10 is released.... but not on phones....

Fast forward to January 2016.... Windows 10 still isn't released on phones....

And now were being told we need to wait until summer 2016 for the next update to bring the features.

Its going to have been nearly 2 years between Microsoft stating what they were going to do, and actually starting to look like maybe being able to start looking at doing what they wanted to do.

Exactly. And it's the same spiel that's given every time.
How hard is it to have one working store? Android and IOS manage it.

I don't understand why they couldn't do it with Windows RT. Boggles the mind.

Right now, Spotify is on Windows Phone Store, not on Windows Store 8/8.1 or on Windows 10 store. What the hell is that about.

Exactly. And it's the same spiel that's given every time.
How hard is it to have one working store? Android and IOS manage it.

I don't understand why they couldn't do it with Windows RT. Boggles the mind.

Right now, Spotify is on Windows Phone Store, not on Windows Store 8/8.1 or on Windows 10 store. What the hell is that about.

I asked earlier, but I think it was lost in 'discussion' about wether Microsoft released a YouTube app, but is there a way for me to browse and search the Windows Phone app store in a browser on a PC, like I can with iTunes and Google Play? All I seem to find are pages listing top apps and thats about it?

the reason why i bought a 950xl is because of the specs, also i like the UI as it looks nice and for me it's more user friendly due to the title layout, as i use my phone with my nose,

I'm noway saying WP 10 is the best os because no os is perfect

Last edited:
I asked earlier, but I think it was lost in 'discussion' about wether Microsoft released a YouTube app, but is there a way for me to browse and search the Windows Phone app store in a browser on a PC, like I can with iTunes and Google Play? All I seem to find are pages listing top apps and thats about it?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/apps/spotify/9wzdncrfj4wk

The best I think you can do.

Remember when we had to wait until Windows 8.1 update for Facebook app? Hilarious.

the reason why i bought a 950xl is because of the specs, also i like the UI as it looks nice and for me it's more user friendly due to the title layout,

I'm noway saying WP 10 is the best os because no os is perfect

I'm all for high specs for phones, but what's the point on an OS that has nothing in the way of actually utilising that power :p?

I'm all for the UI personally though.

Back
Top Bottom