Rising Storm 2: Vietnam

Soldato
They released it too early and its technically still in beta. It was all of a sudden released at the end of May and included a pitiful selection of maps, hideous voice acting, many lod issues, left out some good mechanics from RS2, and it's just boring. The fact that there was / is only 5 proper maps (2 of them are close quarters cod style) it doesnt make for a compelling selection

The best bit was, they included your playtime on Steam from when the beta began to when it was released.

So 10 days passed between beta and release, nothing was added and hardly anything was fixed. They removed the "beta" watermark in the top corner. So because I had more than 2 hours playtime in the beta, I couldn't refund the full game (well half a game).

I had high hopes for it, I love the Red Orchestra series. But they have declined in quality since the first one. The original and RO ostfront were incredible, Rising Storm was pretty good but this is the worst in the series.

If only they left it longer until release, included more maps of a decent size, fixed most of the bugs it would have been probably alright. But releasing it in May was the wrong choice, they should have waited.

Last edited:
Associate
The beta certainly shouldn't have counted towards overall playtime - has that been verified by a dev? I do sympathize with players on the lack of content for sure.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Beta version of a game is when it's feature complete and the main focus is on performance and bug squishing so there was never going to be any new things added on release.

Since the release they've added some new map layouts for different game modes, new weapons and there is the ANZAC Corps dlc coming too.

Admittedly I've not played it for a long time. Each iteration seems to be going further and further away from what RO used to be and the lack of maps soon got old. I'll no doubt revisit when the ANZAC dlc hits.

Caporegime
I've tried to like this game, I was a big fan of RO2, I joined the party a couple of years late but still racked up about 500 hours, this is just turd in comparison though.
  • If you don't have the time to dedicate yourself to a clan you're stuck with public games and they are awful with literally zero teamwork and communication for the vast majority of matches. The player base is so low that you have maybe 4 populated servers with an acceptable ping to choose from if you are lucky. RO2 was niche as well but I feel the general player base would have some idea of how to play the game.

• Every time a patch is released it seems to fix a bug and introduce another one or two.

• The official map list is tiny, yeah they're a small studio but honestly there are 5(?) unique maps.

• It runs fine but looks awful. They carried on with UE3, instead of possibly making the switch to UE4 the game looked dated before it was even developed.

• Some elements of the game feel like they've been changed for no reason. Axis can't spawn on squad leaders they can only use "tunnels" or the default (miles away from the action) spawns. Allies can spawn on their squad leader/machine gunner like they always could.

• Speaking of Axis, the Punji traps, tripwire traps etc are all incredibly buggy and the placement is so hit and miss that it makes them incredibly frustrating to use so I usually ignore them completely, making an otherwise potentially useful part of the game pointless for me personally.

The disappointing thing for me is that the weapons in this game feel so damn satisfying to use, and when you get a commander and squad leaders who know what they're doing there really isn't anything else like that feeling of teamwork. This happens so few times for me though that it makes playing this game pointless. I wanted to support the developers because of my love for RO2 and RS but I feel like I've wasted my money on this. I bought it earlier in the year for however much it cost during early access, I think it may have been around £30 and I don't feel like I've even had that amount of enjoyment from it.

Rather than adding pointless Australian and New Zealand units to the game which will probably amount to little more than new textures, maybe work on ironing out all the bugs, adding some new maps, fixing the things that actually need fixing and maybe even promoting the game a bit to try and increase the tiny player base.

Sorry for the rant.

Permabanned
Why can’t I see any servers on this? In the server browser showing 0??

Firewall or anything? works fine for me.

I loved RO1 played tons of it, couldn't get into RO2 dunno if I should buy this or not think I won't like the setting

I haven't played any of them but I own them all now. As I say I'm still learning RS2 and it's quite a learning curve. Frustrating but it's enjoyable.

7 quid for the bundle is a great deal. Plus it includes killing floor 1 and 2. Which I've never played before either, KF2 is good fun so far.

Soldato
I also bought this in the humble bundle, after not touching any multiplayer shooters in nearly two years, played a lot of RO2 and BF4 uptil then, but stopped playing them when I got into single player strategy games for a bit, and got out of the habit of playing multiplayer. So I bought it but thought, I'll just have a quick go on BF4 before installing it to get me back into the fps frame of mind, and now I can't stop playing BF4 and am still yet to install it :)

Soldato
Got it for 4 and a bit quid the other day. Wasn't going to go full whack as I did not enjoy the beta phase very much due to the disconnected feeling of the controls and character movement. It's still an issue for me, but quite good fun. I'm sure I'll get more in to it as I've only had it a couple of days thus far.

My biggest issue with it is how damn long it takes to go from game to game - so many votes, so many different screens to get through, and then very lengthy start timers. I imagine it varies by server, but I seem to be consistently hitting the long wait ones?

Graphics are pretty poor if I'm honest, but it's worth a few quid that's for sure! Still doesn't beat Battlefield Vietnam (the original)...

Associate
Defo worth it, its MILES better than battlefield 1 etc, actually takes skill to do good, don't run in guns blazing or you will die time and time again, amazing game.

One of the best fps games on pc for me, graphics don't look too bad I don't think, love this game and defo worth a buy

Back
Top Bottom