Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Sounds like an achievable speed to me.
I think the most i'v ever done is around 47mph on my road bike with a standard chainset (53 big ring). If you're still riding a TT bike with much better aero (and possibly a bigger chainring) then i think you could easily get up to that speed.

*Whilst technically achievable, there's no chance you'd ever catch me doing that speed on the aero bars :eek:

I don't think I've been above 40, but a guy I've ridden with in the past has done about 50 going down a cat 3 round our way.

At the other end of the scale, we're supposedly going for a flat ride this Saturday, after I incurred some wrath by getting us up some tougher hills last week. A flat ride is probably no bad thing, given I'm trying to rest my knees a bit.

Soldato
I think the most i'v ever done is around 47mph on my road bike with a standard chainset (53 big ring). If you're still riding a TT bike with much better aero (and possibly a bigger chainring) then i think you could easily get up to that speed.

*Whilst technically achievable, there's no chance you'd ever catch me doing that speed on the aero bars :eek:

Ah no this was on the road bike. TT position is a different ball game, I've only ever been up to around 42mph on the TT bike and that is scary, because you've got no hope of stopping quick if you need to being so far from the brakes.

It was just a big descent with a mild corner midway through, I'm on the drops and usually just give it a confidence squeeze on the brakes to see me round the corner. Conditions were good so I consciously didn't brake and pedalled through while staying as aero as possible. Only a 50t compact with an 11 cog small ringatthe back.

Associate
I don't think I've been above 40, but a guy I've ridden with in the past has done about 50 going down a cat 3 round our way.

At the other end of the scale, we're supposedly going for a flat ride this Saturday, after I incurred some wrath by getting us up some tougher hills last week. A flat ride is probably no bad thing, given I'm trying to rest my knees a bit.

Incurred wrath from who? I loved that ride. Perfect weather, clear roads, challenging hills and two slices of cake at the barn. A++ would go again.

Last edited:
Caporegime

I've done 57mph on the aero bars before on a rather wicked descent in a triathlon the pennines.

Caporegime
Ultegra Di2 groupset + pedals
ITM Aero wheels (cheap but being replaced with my campag neutrons), GP4000s tyres
Deda zero 100 bars/stem
Fizik Cyrano alloy seatpost
Specialized Romin Evo Pro saddle

Beautiful, but how do you cope with the weight of the Ultegra!?

Incidentally, someones take on electronic shifters:
I'm getting more and more grumpy and more and more cynical about the way companies and manufactureres use technology not to improve lives (if ever they did), but to control and own the users (market) (ref. computers, cars, mobile phones, Sat nav. etc). This stuff is all patented. Hardly any of it is user-serviceable. And the best bit for the manufacturers and shareholders is that the users will never stop having to buy the batteries, which will be thrown in a hole when they're spent. All my senses tell me this technology (more accurately the business philosophy) is absolutely in opposition to nearly every principle of bike riding.

The fact that professional teams use is absolutely no reason whatsoever to think it has any real benefit for everyone else. They are paid to use it and they give it away or throw it away when they're done.

If cycling and particularly in this case wannabe pro-cycling hadn't become so recently popular and fashionable amongst the well-off, politically-idiotic-but-proud-to-be-consumers generation, this destructive, pointless nonsense would never have seen the light of day.

Interesting, to say the least.

Last edited:
Caporegime
www.justgiving.com/dan-cannell

WOW! Up to over £1350! With people who have said they will pledge and will do so before the event I'm sure! I know a great bunch of people! This is AWESOME! YOU are all AWESOME :) Thanks to everyone for... helping me achieve this - you've done all this for me. Now I've got to give you a reason for believing in me!

I'm starting to feel the pressure but training has been going well so far as I'm willing to put the effort in as everyone needs help at some point! Some forced - some not. Thank you for helping to give people a normal life and a belief in me!

Wow, insipring stuff Dan, congrats. I'd be bloody tempted by that ride as well!

Associate
I don't think I was too popular with John for taking us over Angelzarke! And Callum struggled up that bit as well. It's a tough climb - I stopped halfway up it for a breather.

Yeah I suppose it's a bit of a tough one for them, but they'll never improve if they don't push themselves. I think I cocked up that segment ending at the T-junction at the top, because I didn't pass the end of the segment before turning round and stopping for a rest (plus how ever long it took for auto-pause to kick in). Considering how quick I got up the segment before it my speed seemed suspiciously slow. I should have gone down the hill a bit to be sure.

Oh well, better luck next time I guess. It was a killer that hill though.

Have fun on the flat ride this weekend. I won't be able to make it.

Soldato
52mph is a bit lame, to be blunt. You're not really going for it until you're breaking the sound barrier, like I did on this ride;

garminspeederror.jpg

Now that's a GPS blip ;)

Soldato
Beautiful, but how do you cope with the weight of the Ultegra!?

Incidentally, someones take on electronic shifters:

Interesting, to say the least.

Yeah I could have spent a few £100 more and gone for dura-ace mechanical, but after reading numerous arguments for/against it, I settled for it on the basis of smoother shifting, which I think could well provide more of a benefit than a few 100g of weight.

I don't think there's much in it though

Soldato
Planning on doing my first metric century on my own tomorrow - 75 miles/120km from Glasgow to Perth to pay my parents a visit. The longest I've done so far have been a couple of 55 mile rides which were probably a fair bit hillier than the route I have planned. Could chop a few miles off the route but that would mean hitting the Crow Road climb in the Campsies right at the beginning, which might be a bad way to start my long ride attempt. I'll err on the side of caution and go around the back of the Campsies for a longer gentler (wimpier) route. Looks like it'll be a headwind almost all the way but not so strong that I'll be a whimpering mess before I finish. Got my malt loaf and flapjack ready, can't wait! :D

Caporegime
Yeah I could have spent a few £100 more and gone for dura-ace mechanical, but after reading numerous arguments for/against it, I settled for it on the basis of smoother shifting, which I think could well provide more of a benefit than a few 100g of weight.

I don't think there's much in it though

Nah I was being sarcastic. By all accounts the Ultegra is better than the Dura-Ace (except obviously for whom those few hundred grams matter).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom