Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I losing all feeling in my feet towards the end of my rides. ICE BLOCKS.

Any recommendations for reasonably priced overshoes that will fit over an mtb shoe?

I use BBB Overshoes all Winter. Keep my feet warm. Its the same material as a wet suit. So its not waterproof but even if your feet get wet they stay warm which is the main thing.

Ooh, after a year of using strava i've just discovered velo viewer. Might be changing my sig once its updated all my rides for the last year!

Soldato
Electronic shifting is amazing, i got Ultegra Di2 on my Canyon, takes 2 mins to set it up and it never ever misses a gear, just building a new frame at the moment and its taken a good couple of hours to get the gears near perfect but they still dont feel as good as the Di2, this is mechanical Ultegra

Associate
Any geometry gurus in here?

I've currently got a 2012 Specialized Crux Elite in a 54 which is comfortable but I think I could do with slightly more reach (I've got stumpy legs and a long torso). It's got a 90mm stem which I could swap to a bigger one but I'll see how well it fits after my bike fit on Mon.

As I've posted before I've got N+1 disease and want a new bike. I'm leaning towards the Canyon Ultimate AL (I'm pretty heavy so I'm sure the AL will still flex enough to keep me comfy). Based on my current bike's geometry (PDF) I reckon the 56 Canyon Ultimate (link) will work out to very similar fit.

Anyways, am I making a monumental mistake somewhere or will that 56 fit me ok?

Last edited:
Associate
Planning on doing my first metric century on my own tomorrow - 75 miles/120km from Glasgow to Perth to pay my parents a visit. The longest I've done so far have been a couple of 55 mile rides which were probably a fair bit hillier than the route I have planned. Could chop a few miles off the route but that would mean hitting the Crow Road climb in the Campsies right at the beginning, which might be a bad way to start my long ride attempt. I'll err on the side of caution and go around the back of the Campsies for a longer gentler (wimpier) route. Looks like it'll be a headwind almost all the way but not so strong that I'll be a whimpering mess before I finish. Got my malt loaf and flapjack ready, can't wait! :D

Good luck! Should be a good ride and the weather isn't looking too bad tbh. :cool:

A mate and i did Glasgow to Stirling 2 summers ago and it was a great day out. Weather was scorchio as well i seem to remember. That was back on the old hybrid bike tho using the cycle path along the canal at the start. Would be good to do it again some time on the road bike and see how i got on now.

Associate
[DOD]Asprilla;24184676 said:
They aren't identical but there doesn't appear to be a huge amount in it.

Cool. From what I can tell the stack's slightly lower and the reach slightly further on the canyon (which is what I want), plus it comes with a slightly longer stem as standard anyway. I've stuck the geometries into an excel sheet that plots it out for you (this one) and they do look very similar.

I'll run it by the guy doing my fit just to be sure but I reckon that's the one.

Caporegime
I use BBB Overshoes all Winter. Keep my feet warm. Its the same material as a wet suit. So its not waterproof but even if your feet get wet they stay warm which is the main thing.

Yep, I've got BBB Heavy Duty overshoes and they've been good. They've worn through on the bottoms where I've walked in them, but they're holding together well enough to keep using them.

InQ

InQ

Associate
I dont know whats up with me this week but i seem to be blasting segments, 4mph+ added to my previous best times to take a couple of KOM's on my route home from work;

http://app.strava.com/activities/50775606

And a 3rd on the uphill not far from me adding 3mph to my previous best which i'd equalled 3 times in the past few weeks, current KOM is some guy who is part of the race team part sponsored by the LBS in the village just down the road from the hill.

Progress!

Soldato
I dont know whats up with me this week but i seem to be blasting segments, 4mph+ added to my previous best times to take a couple of KOM's on my route home from work;

And a 3rd on the uphill not far from me adding 3mph to my previous best which i'd equalled 3 times in the past few weeks, current KOM is some guy who is part of the race team part sponsored by the LBS in the village just down the road from the hill.

Progress!

Distance 666.5mi

:D

Soldato

Progress!

EPO? :D

Associate
tumblr_m3618iWXX11r86plbo1_500.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom