Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cycled home from work - 11miles.
Managed over a 20mph average without really trying with lights and a rucksack on.

Considering i have never really cycled since Australia(apart from Polly Botts hill climb Sunday before last) in September I'm quite chuffed with that. :)

Working away until next year but taking bike with me as i imagine there's lots of nice, quiet roads around Wakefield/Leeds. Gotta keep up with training as signed up to cycle London to Paris in 24hrs for Scope again.

Last edited:
inch long sidewall cut in my rear tyre this morning

just last week I was undecided whether to replace both, or rotate my old front onto the rear

quite glad I rotated now

Head held high, unlike my follower :p

Good work, looks like you dropped him - like he is struggling to match pace! :D

Love the rear light, although I don't see the point on marking the road directly behind you unless you can push the light further back (for cars approaching from the rear) - as surely once a car is close enough to see the light they should have easily spotted you! :eek:

I've got...

Angels - love the Alpe d’Huez section
Downward Spiral - vomtastic intervals
Rubber Glove
There Is No Try
I****IATT - 2 hours on the TT? It's ugly.
Long Scream

I like the look of The Rookie. Love how they got Giant Shimano on board :D

Thanks for those, I need to watch some trailers and buy some of my own! I think intervals will help me so first stop is Downward Spiral ;)

So excited as my road bike's a coming tomorrow. Ended up pickup the Felt z85 105, friend had the 2013 version which I took for a spin and liked, I'm sure the giant defy 1 would have been just as good.

I told myself I wasn't going to cycle to work once the clocks changed as I have a number of country lanes with no lighting but the desire is pretty high!

Good choice, it was a bike on my short list this year if I changed (now I've pushed my purchase into next year my pot of pennies will be fuller!).

Do it! Get out there and put some miles on it! :D

Cycled home from work - 11miles.
Managed over a 20mph average without really trying with lights and a rucksack on.

Considering i have really cycled since Australia(apart from Polly Botts hill climb Sunday before last) in September I'm quite chuffed with that. :)

Good work and a great average! I need to do some open road rides to get a good idea of my averages - starting/ending in traffic really ruin mine! :(

Into my second day of commuting after 'Sufferfesting Sunday'... Actually don't feel bad, think I could probably do tomorrow and push my rest day onto Thursday, but will probably look at the weather for the week first and choose the wettest day! ;)

The morning here was fantastic - could've worn shorts and jersey! Instead I baked in thermals (thought wind would be colder/worse) and commuting jacket (rain is forecast later...):rolleyes:

Last edited:
Love the rear light, although I don't see the point on marking the road directly behind you unless you can push the light further back (for cars approaching from the rear) - as surely once a car is close enough to see the light they should have easily spotted you! :eek:

Yeah we'll see what it actually does, it was as grudas says, cheap - £4.99 inc delivery - and I'm using it in conjunction with my Topeak rear light. Last night was pretty quiet on the traffic front what with it being school holidays, but it's not about being spotted, it's just a bit of a warning to cars trying to squeeze past slowly, and it did seem to have an effect.

that's why I said IMO ;) my experience with Chinese rear lights has always been bad so I try to avoid them! got nothing against the fronts.

:p Yeah, will see how weather proof it is...

£280 with a £250 starting bid on eBay so it really is the luck of the draw. I've seen them go for £325 I think was the highest in the last 6 months. Maybe could have got a bit more on Gumtree or the forums but I couldn't be bothered with the faff to be honest, and I definitely couldn't be doing with all the bother you get on LFGSS.

Last edited:
Good work and a great average! I need to do some open road rides to get a good idea of my averages - starting/ending in traffic really ruin mine! :(

Thanks - meant to add the NEVER since Australia really lol.

My route ends with 3 roundabouts (inc motorway one) and about 6 sets of traffic lights (inc 3 sets on one motorway roundabout) so I have to plan very well! I never jump lights, I just may not stop completely and I might be a little 'sketchy' as to road regulations lol. Never endanger anyone though. :)

You might be better renting one if you're only using it a couple of times. Bikeboxalan is the best case i think.
Having said that, i took my canyon on a plane in one of those hard material boxes (not as rigid as the plastic boxes) and didnt have any trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom