Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sold out though - I had the last 28 in the entire Halfords network the other day

Greedy! Why so many? They gone EOL and you don't think there'll be a better replacement?

It does almost look like the spoke is too tight but I'd have expected the spoke to snap before the rim in that case?

Titanium spokes?! ;)

I really does look like the steel has faulted/'stress-ripped' and then tension on the spoke is pulling it apart - whereas the real damage has probably come from weight on that part of the wheel and it fracturing (think earth quake) rather than the spoke pulling the wheel apart... I'm not saying you're heavy (you're probably much lighter than me!) :p ;)

They look good lights... So good in fact (damn you) I've ordered one for that price... :rolleyes::eek:

For the third day in a row this morning I was overtaken by an old fella on a Boardman (at least 30 years my senior) and wearing a backpack(!). He comes out of nowhere as well, he's a phantom.

Getting overtaken is becoming a rare thing now, but honestly, this is just getting embarrassing.

Last edited:
My fault, poorly worded.

It does fit, but I can't screw it up at all, fit's fine on the hybrid bike. Perhaps Planet X just use really thick handlebars

Nah - just my brain not really working in the morning :p

Titanium spokes?! ;)

I really does look like the steel has faulted/'stress-ripped' and then tension on the spoke is pulling it apart - whereas the real damage has probably come from weight on that part of the wheel and it fracturing (think earth quake) rather than the spoke pulling the wheel apart... I'm not saying you're heavy (you're probably much lighter than me!) :p ;)

I'm around 85kg, unless I've been particularly hungry that day :p so not particularly light.

Ah well. Just went for a spin on the wheels from the cotic and they actually feel a hell of a lot nicer to ride on. Perhaps just due to them not being knackered though.

They look good lights... So good in fact (damn you) I've ordered one for that price... :rolleyes::eek:

yeah I've had them for a while! done all my rides with those torches, the Q5 led's are weaker but they do output more than enough light really, I've got the t6 version which is stronger but obviously, eats more juice!

they're not as bright as the pictures show tho ;) but for that price..

For the third day in a row this morning I was overtaken by an old fella on a Boardman (at least 30 years my senior) and wearing a backpack(!). He comes out of nowhere as well, he's a phantom.

Getting overtaken is becoming a rare thing now, but honestly, this is just getting embarrassing.

There are some *serious* weapons out there who are over 60
There are two men in their 60s who've clocked 10 mile TT's under 20 mins, and the quickest 70yo has clocked a 21-17

http://www.vtta.org.uk/information/...&Gender=1&Machine=1&filter_button=Get+Records

At the level most of us are at, fitness is the barrier not age.

I think he means he had the last 28mm tyre, rather than the last 28 tyres :D

Yep, this

based on my recent usage of that particular bike, 28 tyres would last me over a decade

Had thought that was the case! Although the number of tyres some people (grudas) get through I wouldn't be surprised! :D;)

I'm around 85kg, unless I've been particularly hungry that day :p so not particularly light.

Oh you're around the same weight as me then! Although I'm not 100% sure how accurate my scales are - depending which way around I put them on the floor they weigh me differently, so I'm probably somewhere between 75kg and 100kg lol! Although you're probably much faster than me! ;)

I've got a couple of phantoms too - they appear approx once every 6 weeks, decimate me on my commute, look like they're commuting themselves (I think they are disguised pro riders) and have a much higher score than me! :(

There are some *serious* weapons out there who are over 60

At the level most of us are at, fitness is the barrier not age.

Guy in my office is around 60 (remember the Time I linked), he cycles regularly 100+ miles a week (leisure, not commuting) with his two sons (one Marines and the other Paras) and I'm fairly sure he'd decimate me on the road! He's got the build for it and is one of those 'stupidly active' people who never has a lazy beach holiday (he's cycled Cyprus, Sardinia and Sicily recently) or eats any cake! Some people are lucky, the rest of us are carrying a few pounds and like to eat! ;) :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Another puncture on the way home! 4 in total now on the rubino pro! Gotta say, the cheaper and heavier rubbino/zaffiro are better for puncture protection! Very hard and a bit hairy in wet though! These are gripper but I guess softer rubber = more punctures! Next on the list are pro4s endurance! Just wonder how they're for grip in wet!

I have a secret fondness for blowing past people on faster bikes on my creaky, hub geared pub bike. While wearing jeans.

I tried that the other day with jeans fresh out of the dryer, ****ing things were so tight I could hardly pedal.

TTing seems like an older bloke's game. There are a few brilliant young TTers at our local 10s but a lot of the fast guys are 40+. Same with the IPers on the track.

Another puncture on the way home! 4 in total now on the rubino pro! Gotta say, the cheaper and heavier rubbino/zaffiro are better for puncture protection! Very hard and a bit hairy in wet though! These are gripper but I guess softer rubber = more punctures! Next on the list are pro4s endurance! Just wonder how they're for grip in wet!

Have you tried Conti GP4S?

I tried that the other day with jeans fresh out of the dryer, ****ing things were so tight I could hardly pedal.

TTing seems like an older bloke's game. There are a few brilliant young TTers at our local 10s but a lot of the fast guys are 40+. Same with the IPers on the track.

Dare I say it but a lot of today's younger riders are a bit strava-warrior....

I'm sure I read that as you get older your endurance increases but you lose out in out right speed which is maybe why you have the 40+ Brigade such as myself who are turning into the endurance bunnies :D. Not many folk on my commute pass me that's for sure only one person I know and he is the local hill climb champ and half my weight. 95kg of pure muscle that's me haha :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom