Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incidentally, MC has a bike hire scheme, segregated cycle lanes and a FGSS community. It also has an altitude of 8,500 feet (78% of oxygen levels as at sea level) and pollution that has destroyed my sinuses. 24 million people (three times London) and half of them appear to drive to work.
Apart from the altitude it sounds much like Valencia. Terrible pollution and I've come home with a cough. You only appreciate how clean our air actually is when you visit somewhere else that doesn't have the same pollution controls! MC must be really bad though, they don't even have the basic European standards in place :eek:

Need some help please with size of road bike which I'm about to order online. Shop is too far for me. My height is 5' 6 ½".

The bike I'm looking at:

52cm 5'4" - 5'6"
54cm 5'7" - 5'9"

So I'm stuck in between. Which one should I go for?

Need some help please with size of road bike which I'm about to order online. Shop is too far for me. My height is 5' 6 ½".

The bike I'm looking at:

52cm 5'4" - 5'6"
54cm 5'7" - 5'9"

So I'm stuck in between. Which one should I go for?

A better measurement to go by is your inseam - http://www.wikihow.com/Size-a-Road-Bike

But if you want to get a lot more in depth, this calculator is pretty good - http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp

Bike sizes are given from the measurement of the seat tube, which isn't actually that useful as you can just compensate for that (within reason) with saddle height. The more important component of a bike size is effective top tube, which affects how far you have to reach to get to the handlebars, and getting the right back angle will depend on your body proportions and not just your height.

What bike is it, incidentally?

A better measurement to go by is your inseam - http://www.wikihow.com/Size-a-Road-Bike

But if you want to get a lot more in depth, this calculator is pretty good - http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp

Bike sizes are given from the measurement of the seat tube, which isn't actually that useful as you can just compensate for that (within reason) with saddle height. The more important component of a bike size is effective top tube, which affects how far you have to reach to get to the handlebars, and getting the right back angle will depend on your body proportions and not just your height.

What bike is it, incidentally?

This one.

Really love the look of that bike, great wheels and groupset for the money! :)

Guys how do hybrid/MTB tyres work?

Setup my hybrid on my trainer this weekend but need to grab a trainer wheel for it... Writing on wheel doesn't hint at much?!

20141109_164356.jpg

I'm guessing anything 26x will fit? and not to worry about the 1.9?

Don't ignore the width, especially on a hybrid. You should check how much clearance there is between the tyre and the frame, if it's already tight you'll need to stay around 1.9 or go smaller

Spent 45mins on the turbo last night. Didn't follow and YouTube spinning sessions, just cycled while watching the fa cup highlights show. Should have been out during the day but woosed out of it :( think I'll need to get a sensor thing to go with my Garmin so I can track what I do inside.

26 is the size - like 700c would be on a roadie, 1.9 is the width of the tyre, like 25c would be on a roadie..

it's 26"x1.9"

Don't ignore the width, especially on a hybrid. You should check how much clearance there is between the tyre and the frame, if it's already tight you'll need to stay around 1.9 or go smaller

Thanks guys, now I know it's inches it makes sense! :rolleyes::p

A few options, the KK is 26"x 1" (not big enough), Vittoria 26"x 1.1" (not big enough), Tacx 26"x 1.25" (better but still not big enough!) and finally the Continental 26"x 1.75" (which is about as close as they seem to get?!) for £24 which sounds good, providing the size is close enough?

No problems with clearance, this Hybrid has the biggest chunky Aldi mudguards ever made! :D

I too didn't find the time to get on the turbo over the weekend and really struggled on my commute this morning - 2 days of 'rest' is too long!

Thanks guys, now I know it's inches it makes sense! :rolleyes::p

A few options, the KK is 26"x 1" (not big enough), Vittoria 26"x 1.1" (not big enough), Tacx 26"x 1.25" (better but still not big enough!) and finally the Continental 26"x 1.75" (which is about as close as they seem to get?!) for £24 which sounds good, providing the size is close enough?

No problems with clearance, this Hybrid has the biggest chunky Aldi mudguards ever made! :D

I too didn't find the time to get on the turbo over the weekend and really struggled on my commute this morning - 2 days of 'rest' is too long!

see how wide your rim is, you should be able to fit thinner tyres

Too much going out for friend's birthdays at the weekend. Only got out on Sunday for a very relaxed ride with a few friends and one of their girlfriends. It was fun but I really need to do something a bit more intense this week.

Good luck with that!

Couldn't go on Saturday due to football commitments. It was an idiot o'clock kickoff. But still, the weather was horrendous so whether we would have gone anyway, I doubt it. And I had plans yesterday.

Lets hope the weather is much improved for next weekend. need to get out and do some more hilly miles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom