Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
The iO is probably the gold standard front wheel for indoor track riding - super stiff, lightweight and proven aero design. The g force sprinters are subject to in the corners is pretty extreme and you need a wheel that will stand up to it. I'm not nearly quick enough to benefit but less stiff wheels feel "mushy" in the corners at speed. Mavics are meant to be among the best in that regard, and the light weight means they are quicker to spin up from a standing start.

If you watch Olympic/Worlds track events, 90% of the field will have an iO front and Comete disk at the back. Can't argue with that!

Guys ive got a compact on my Canyon, its Ultegra groupset. Not the latest one but last years (2012 i think 6700?) is it possible to change the big ring? i want to go to a 52 so its more similar to my summer bike.

Guys ive got a compact on my Canyon, its Ultegra groupset. Not the latest one but last years (2012 i think 6700?) is it possible to change the big ring? i want to go to a 52 so its more similar to my summer bike.

Yes, but you need to find the right chainrings to do it.
A compact will have a different bolt pattern to a standard chainset but as long as you get the right pattern to match your crank it'll be fine.

I think a compact is usually 110BCD and a standard is 130BCD. It'll be stamped on your crank or chainring so you can check it.

It would be best to change the small ring as well. Using a compact small ring with a standard big ring makes a large gap between tooth sizes and can cause problems getting the chain up onto the big ring.

Ah thats cool, ive managed to find the outter one, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-ultegra-fc6700-double-chainring/rp-prod116081 ill check my BCD at lunch. Do the smaller rings have a special names? can only seem to find the smaller ones at the usual places.

You can choose either an inner or outer ring from that link.52 + 53 tooth are outers, 39 is inner.
Those have a 130BCD though, which i'm pretty sure wont be correct for a compact crank.

You probably wont find them in the grey finish that matches your crank though.

Total freak accident, he had his hands off the bars as he was slowing after a sprint on the apron of the track, the bars twisted and he grabbed them but at the point where the wheel was 90 degrees to the bike. I think the tyre gripped and all his weight went over the wheel as it was sideways. Just not designed to cope with that sort of force I guess.

My motivation seems to have left me recently, just going to & from work atm for a grand total of 8 miles a day. :(

Just can't seem to jolly myself up to add extra miles on the road or turbo.
This year's stats are looking well down on the last 4 years, I'll be lucky to do 4,000 miles by the end of the year.

see how wide your rim is, you should be able to fit thinner tyres

The tyres at the moment are wider than the rim so I'm fairly sure I'll have no problems...

A clubmate folded his Mavic iO in half at the track on Saturday night. Had a good laugh at him falling off till I'd seen what happened. :( Poor sod.

that is expensive.. what's so special about it?

:eek:
NOW£2159.99
RRP£2700.00

I'm guessing theres no way to repair a wheel like that :(

and can cause problems getting the chain up

See a doctor? ;)

I've developed/discovered another hole in my waterproof's this morning... And judging by the weather report for this week I'm going to start getting very wet! I have 2 choices though - get wet while waiting for some of the DHB Mono's (£30) to be delivered or get some from Mountain Warehouse (like my current ones, £24)... I'll probably go for the DHB's as part of the damage from my current ones is from them being too baggy, catching them on things and the legs being held in with cycling clips.

I've ordered one of the 26" x 1.75" Conti trainer tyres, trying to convince myself I don't need to buy another GSC10 just for the turbo! ;)

Ah thats cool, ive managed to find the outter one, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-ultegra-fc6700-double-chainring/rp-prod116081 ill check my BCD at lunch. Do the smaller rings have a special names? can only seem to find the smaller ones at the usual places.

You won't be able to fit double shimano rings to the compact chainset due to the bcd difference.

The big ring is hollow and the small ring bolts into it on that setup. I've never tried it but you could get fsa, bbb or ta chain rings in 53/39 110bcd. Might be cheaper to pick up a 6700 second hand.

So, work are doing the triathlon again next year, but I'll not be able to do it as it's the weekend before I go to Disneyland Paris! I'll just have to train hard so I can smash it in 2016 ;)

Still, I've got the imperial century office to office ride in May, so that'll probably be my centrepiece for next year and I'll just stick a load of metrics around it.

Just ordered a Garmin Speed and Cadence Sensor to hook up with my Garmin 500 edge. Be interesting to see how far / fast i go inside instead of on the hills of Angus! :D

I'm gonna get the 500 in the new year but havnt decided whether to go for the cadence sensor yet. Not too fussed about the heart rate monitor but I may want it in the future so i'm torn about going straight for the whole bundle or just the unit. Havn't got a mobile phone :D so dont need the wireless connect to phone thing-y-o-dubryfirkin.

How is it just as a base unit , does it perform well and do all the basic things its supposed to ?

I'm gonna get the 500 in the new year but havnt decided whether to go for the cadence sensor yet. Not too fussed about the heart rate monitor but I may want it in the future so i'm torn about going straight for the whole bundle or just the unit. Havn't got a mobile phone :D so dont need the wireless connect to phone thing-y-o-dubryfirkin.

How is it just as a base unit , does it perform well and do all the basic things its supposed to ?

Its fine. Tracked several rides when out and about. Easy to upload to strava as well. E.g http://www.strava.com/activities/206366875

Doesn't work too well on a turbo without the sensors though :p Will post a few once they arrive later on this week so keep your eye out for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom