Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
So..I'm considering a weekend ride to Newcastle to visit a friend. I'll no doubt have to change this as the I discover aspects of the routes are horrendous but one thing I'm wondering about is: 143 miles with just over 5k feet of climbing or 159 miles with just over 4k feet.

Effort-wise, would you trade 19 miles for 1000 feet of climbing? I'm thinking to go with the shorter and more hilly (though still quite flat mostly) route.

Definitely go shorter, 5k feet over that distance will constitute a pretty flat (but still long) ride.

Soldato
What's with all the NFTO riders on that segment? :s

They're a local 'club' that has 'gone professional' so many of the riders tagged NFTO around here are just club riders and not pro's. They're still great riders though (check my friend below)! :D

NFTO are 'sponsored' by a local car dealership - Cotswold BMW (supply their team cars) and several of the guys there are keen cyclists including a guy I know (but not from having a BMW, just from clubbing lol).

NTFO are my excuse for not having any KOM's ;)

That said - the bit where you were trying to catch him was a PR for him too.

Anyhow, looks like you've got a new target speed to aim for :p

Good point, if I see him tomorrow am I allowed to say "flyby fwiend!"? Will take a note of his bike too as we all know forces guys have pennies to spend! ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Dispatch notice on my rapha classic bundle (happy birthday to me), but I have literally more cycling jerseys than regular tops these days. That takes me up to:

SS Wiggle Honda
SS Rapha light-weight
SS Rapha team sky club jersey
SS Rapha Classic
SS Paniagua milltag jersey
LS DHB windslam
LS Rapha pro team
LS Campagnolo non-descript

I seem to have a massive problem when it comes to jerseys - and I don't think I'm anywhere near done. Listing them out, It makes me wonder what on Earth I was playing at - absolutely no need for another. No wonder I'm skint...

Man of Honour
Kind of annoying journey back to work after lunch. On my Garmin the average speed showed as 20.1. Obviously Strava sees that as 19.6 because..reasons.

I had hoped I might finally have cracked a 20mph average moving speed on a commute. Oh well.

Soldato
Dispatch notice on my rapha classic bundle (happy birthday to me), but I have literally more cycling jerseys than regular tops these days. That takes me up to:

<snip>
I seem to have a massive problem when it comes to jerseys - and I don't think I'm anywhere near done. Listing them out, It makes me wonder what on Earth I was playing at - absolutely no need for another. No wonder I'm skint...

Haha that's a crazy amount of jerseys - several of them expensive too! All long/shot sleeve? :o

My tally is much more reserved: 2 dhb short sleeved, 2 dhb long sleeved, 1 aldi thermal long sleeved. All 5 of them probably cost less than 1 Ralpha! ;)

Really do think I need more thermal ones, but I just layer up (cheap <£10 Lonsdale baselayers) instead of buying thicker tops... That and wear a winter jacket as opposed to my cycling ones! :D

Ordered a Veho SAEM S6 (protective-water-resistant-phone-case) and handlebar mount for my S5 and it doesn't fit... It probably will if I 'trim' some of the rubber/plastic supports that give it shock protection. For the price I'm tempted to trim it as otherwise it seems ideal... Either that or find a case with mount for ~£30 from somewhere else which'll fit the S5.

Any recommendations/experiences?

Edit:
During the last 365 days you have spent: £1,117.97

4 times the value of my bike! :eek::p:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
Haha that's a crazy amount of jerseys - several of them expensive too! All long/shot sleeve? :o

My tally is much more reserved: 2 dhb short sleeved, 2 dhb long sleeved, 1 aldi thermal long sleeved. All 5 of them probably cost less than 1 Ralpha! ;)

Oh, I only ever buy my rapha jerseys on sale, so I've only spent £375 on the four which is clearly an absolute bargain.

Underboss
Finally got my 25mm 4 season tyres fitted and went for a spin

felt so much faster than the 35mm CX tyres I had on before

my Average speed was 16.4 mph !

right pain getting them on though.. even for a folding tyre, they are certainly a good road tyre

Soldato
I think everyone's gone down the bodging a phone mount for your bike route and they all end in the same place - Garmin.

Pretty much this. Phone mounts for bikes are all quite poor.

I'd thought the same, was hoping that some of the better phone case providers had bike mounts... But it seems not! :rolleyes::(

You mean buy a garmin, not a garmin mount for my S5?

my Average speed was 16.4 mph !

Bit slow! ;)

Associate
That`s a bit harsh could be cycling up 9% incline to work :p On a serious note been trying to keep my average`s high from the dizzy heights of nearly 23mph over a 20 mile commute in the summer. Have found thus far into winter I can still set an average above of 19mph coming back from work. Not too shoddy since I`m on the fixed as well !

Associate
Well tonight's training failed miserably. I was suppose to do hill repeats, but as soon as I got on the bike the heavens opened. I warmed up and did a repeat, but my glasses steamed and I couldn't see a sodding thing.

I'm short sighted, so I need to wear glasses. I've tried contacts, but they irritated my eyes badly, they aren't an option. I'm considering forking out for prescription Oakleys, but I wondered if they would steam up as well?

In other news, my new chain and thermal tights arrived yesterday. I decided to change the chain, as I've done over 2k miles now on the current chain. The tights seem good, the padding quality is amazing compared to my Muddy Fox's. They're way too warm though, I perform better when cold. So I'll have to save these for freezing days. I've got tomorrow off work, to get the chain and some bar tape fitted.

Soldato
Getting a bit darker at night now, any recommendations for a rear light? Not sure if my current Cateye is quite bright enough so would feel more comfortable with two at the back!

Associate
I forgot, my main reason for posting. I brought some 18650 batteries from Torchy on ebay. Unfortunately, I mistakenly purchased batteries with a flat top that won't work in my Cree. They'll work with a torch that has raised or spring terminals though. Would anyone be interested in them as I can't use. They're £17.99 on ebay, but I'm willing to make a bit of a loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom