Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I can sign in to my account. It still shows my old subscription but not the new one.
No money out of my bank yet, quidco says it tracked the transaction but it's not yet confirmed.

Soldato
Has anyone received their free Lezny light from that Magazine subscription yet? I still can't login to my account, and their support is terrible. They've now deleted my account that I couldn't access, but now they're asking for a subscription number, which of course I didn't receive. Need to see if they've started the direct debit.

Nothing yet but I'm keeping an eye on the thread on BR. Maybe so many people signed up for it that they went bankrupt trying to supply the free lights?

I can sign in to my account. It still shows my old subscription but not the new one.
No money out of my bank yet, quidco says it tracked the transaction but it's not yet confirmed.

I've not had anything either, not tried to login to the site recently though! Was pretty sure I had an e-mail confirmation but a search for 'mymagazine' doesn't turn it up? Will have a good look later when on my PC.

About to head home and try out this £3.50 chinese light! Will take a pic of it compared to my Volt 100 if anyone's interested :)

Underboss
I cant afford to, but ive been thinking or changing my CX bike with a proper road bike that has mudguard mounts

mainly because the CX bike's wheel base is short and as I turn my foot can be in the way of the wheel, so have to have the cleat position completely opposite to what I have on my road bike

and the fact that its not a proper road bike and I've only been using it on the road..

Associate
My DD has been setup under "Immediate Media" but emails with support, which include the original order number and they are asking my for my subscription number, when I sent them a screenshot of the DD on Friday I've not had a reply yet. I'm not holding out much hope for this to be honest

Caporegime
I cant afford to, but ive been thinking or changing my CX bike with a proper road bike that has mudguard mounts

mainly because the CX bike's wheel base is short and as I turn my foot can be in the way of the wheel, so have to have the cleat position completely opposite to what I have on my road bike

and the fact that its not a proper road bike and I've only been using it on the road..

I can get toe overlap on both my road bikes. They each have a wheelbase around 1m. It's never happened when actually riding, only when stood at the lights or the side of the road. I think most bikes will do it if you really try.

Soldato
My kinesis t2 has toe overlap, it's only really a problem while trying to trackstand at traffic lights - it's by far the hardest of my bikes to trackstand as a result.

I suspect if I was using slightly shorter cranks and not wearing massive great cloddy SPD hiking boots it might be less of a thing

Soldato
I get massive amounts of toe overlap on my carbon frame set! Triban on the other hand has very little with the same shoes etc! Doesn't effect the riding, it's only annoying when track standing or making really heavy turns while riding through traffic

Associate
Toe overlap? I managed to get my right foot ton the left hand side of the front wheel this evening when I was waiting at the lights. Could have been interesting.

I've got it to a lesser or greater extend in all my frames but it's never really an issue.

Associate
More nooby questions I'm afraid guys, feel free to ignore :p

Need a helmet, gloves and some lights next.

Entry level, but also bearing in mind you only get 1 head!

Wiggle seems to be the place to get stuff, does anyone use their local bike shops anymore for these bits and pieces.

Associate
I don't use my most local lbs, but that's because they are shysters and thieves.

I do, however, use Sigma Sport both online and going in on the way home. I also use a great little shop called Neil's Wheels who do great spannering.

Man of Honour
Any helmet you buy from the UK will be safe - so it really comes down to comfort. Your best bet is to go somewhere that you can try some one so you can get an idea of what works for you. This is where an LBS or even a large chain like Evans/etc can be good. If you want to save cash you could still order online from somewhere like Wiggle after you've decided...

There's just been a bit of a discussion about gloves so I'd recommend reading back through the last few pages for those.

Lights kind of depend on what conditions you'll be riding in - lit roads, unlit country paths, dusk, fully dark, etc.

edit: As Apirillla said above, some LBSs are a bit dodgy. I stopped using one I'd used for a few (bike) purchases after the one or two decent staff left.

Soldato
Nothing yet but I'm keeping an eye on the thread on BR. Maybe so many people signed up for it that they went bankrupt trying to supply the free lights?

HI shamrock,
see you have a rose?
Which model is it?
I'm looking at the pro sl and the rs ones. There's one which comes with Ultegra and is about 1100 I might get.

How are you getting on with yours? I would prefer the one with full chorus but I don't really have that much of a bike budget, I could get one, but its more the risk of it getting stolen for me.

Soldato
Wiggle seems to be the place to get stuff, does anyone use their local bike shops anymore for these bits and pieces.

edit: As Apirillla said above, some LBSs are a bit dodgy. I stopped using one I'd used for a few (bike) purchases after the one or two decent staff left.

I've got so many around me I've actually avoided them and gone to the biggest and most well known (due to Asprilla's reasons mostly)... The main thing for me was I know their reputation and have had 'chats' online and on Strava with staff who work there/followed me/commented on segments and they all seem very friendly & encouraging! Good customer service (even though I'm not actually a big customer, not bought a bike from them yet!) goes a long way.

Most things you're better reading reviews online about, but Helmets I'd say you need to try them on to know for sure...

Here's my light 'comparison' after my commute home -

Cheap Cree Q5 Chinese light £4.50:
20141117_180341.jpg
20141117_180331.jpg

Cateye Volt 100 ~£25 when on sale from Wiggle:
20141117_180253.jpg
20141117_180303.jpg

As you can see the Volt100 blows it to pieces, but as a backup light it'll do me! I'll probably play around and get some better rechargeable batteries and maybe a better LED for it (recommendations?). I've found a single charge on the volt 100 lasts me 5+ weeks of commuting (I only ride a short way with it on full beam, half beam another short way - 80% of my commute it's flashing).

Last edited:
Underboss
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom