Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
HI shamrock,
see you have a rose?
Which model is it?
I'm looking at the pro sl and the rs ones. There's one which comes with Ultegra and is about 1100 I might get.

How are you getting on with yours? I would prefer the one with full chorus but I don't really have that much of a bike budget, I could get one, but its more the risk of it getting stolen for me.

It's the 2012 Xeon CRS-5000.

I can definitely recommend Rose based on my experience with the bike and their customer service. You might have to wait a bit longer than from other places if their workshop is busy (except for Canyon!) but they are responsive to queries on email and you can customise the spec which is something other retailers don't really offer.

Alternatives for value are PlanetX, Ribble and Canyon.

Soldato
on amazon for less

I think that's the one that a club rider was showing me yesterday, brilliant light
has a button on the back and has a battery level indicator too

the only thing I hated about it was the external battery pack, otherwise I would have bought it as a spare

amazon is £2 less but +£5 delivery?
unless I've missed one?

Soldato
Wow, my legs are popped from Sunday still. I did 2000m in the pool yday to try and loosen up a bit and work it out.

They feel ok, but forget about any efforts over threshold power!

I missed the start of the bunch ride, didn't catch up until the turn around either.

Then rode up the hill bang on threshold pretty much, I wasn't really out of breath and could talk ok but try to press any harder and legs just said forget it pal!

Soldato
That's not a bad price at all. Be sure to aim it downwards though - very easy to blind people with those lights :)

Very very bright light,i use mine on setting one (there is 3 brightness to this light and a flashing option,hold the button in to flash),had mine for 2 months now,i go down a very dark wooded area on my way to work (work nights) and put this light on the brightest setting and its amazing,not the best battery life but as i put my bike in a room with sockets i charge it once every 5 days.

Soldato
ok Buying this in 15 mins unless someone tells me why not (in red, ofc, 50p cheaper!)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-CREE-X...rtGoods_CyclAcces_RL&var=&hash=item4ad74f7e62

Red ones go faster too! ;)

any thoughts on this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-active-thermal-long-sleeve-jersey/ cheap and cheerful or cheap and nasty?

depends what you want.
better than ALDI, just, but very baggy.

I find my Aldi thermal top great, but baggy/poor fit. DHB fit is brilliant on me so I'll be grabbing some of those DHB tops at that price! If they're the same material as the thermal bibs I have they'll be incredible! I'll probably also wear them for snowboarding :)

Oh anyone know how I 'fix' my commute from this morning? Looks like my speed failed and only 2 GPS readings? Still not quite sure why it thinks I flew to work!? :p :D

Associate
I can definitely recommend Rose based on my experience with the bike and their customer service. You might have to wait a bit longer than from other places if their workshop is busy (except for Canyon!) but they are responsive to queries on email and you can customise the spec which is something other retailers don't really offer.

All of this.

I've got a 2013 Xeon CRS-3000 and it's a brilliant bike. And Rose customer service was excellent.

I only had to wait 3 weeks for mine I think, though I know it can vary a bit, particularly for some frame colors.

Soldato
I find my Aldi thermal top great, but baggy/poor fit. DHB fit is brilliant on me so I'll be grabbing some of those DHB tops at that price! If they're the same material as the thermal bibs I have they'll be incredible! I'll probably also wear them for snowboarding :)

Opted to buy a couple of them. One in the flouro yellow :D So hopefully I'll be seen!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I cant figure out how they have caused that damage to the chinese fork? It looks like there is a deformation/indentation halfway down the steerer tube, which I would expect to see if they forced the axle of the fork forwards. There also is a tear around the front of the crown which I think would be more likely with the force being applied backwards on the axle?

Did it also fail in 2 places at exactly the same time? I thought that the way carbon breaks (with pretty much complete loss of structural rigidity) would mean that it's difficult to transfer enough force through the first point of failure to break again?

You know your stuff Jonny, explain it to us :p
Can't really work it out myself :p

Assuming it was clamped up properly it wouldn't have failed in two places on the same test. I think they must have carried out separate tests on the fork crown and on the steerer.

Unless of course they loaded it up in situ in the frame and the bottom headset bearing turned out of its seat which allowed the steerer to kink. Perhaps then it sat against the inside of the head tube and they continued to load it up until the fork crown broke?

Soldato

Ouch. Sufferfest Revolver is pretty damn painful.

Thanks for that, 90% fixed but as I have a Strava Privacy zone setup the start point is no-where near my start point and uneditable... :rolleyes:

Not quite sure why but the distance is totally different than my normal rides... The privacy zone screwup doesn't account for it!? :eek:

Your ride of Revolver looks brutal! Are many Sufferfest rides on Trainerroad? Just pondering if a Trainerroad sub would be a cheaper alternative to buying DVD's...!

Man of Honour
Unfortunately I'm not sure if you can use the Sufferfest subscription with TrainerRoad :/ I've got a fair few of the SF videos and my friend that is just getting into turbo training is considering buying them all so I may have to borrow one or two new ones if he does...

Soldato
IIRC, TrainerRoad gives you sessions based on Sufferfest videos but you still need to buy the actual videos from Sufferfest.

I'm going to restart on the turbo tonight which means a 20 minute test. Woop. I'm not expecting great things due to limited time on the bike of late with more gym focus but we'll see...

Soldato
Some night riding on the cards for me.

2014-11-18%2012.37.40%20%28800x607%29.jpg

Looked at all the Ebay stuff but I dont want separate battery packs and while I have a couple of Cree torches they arent reliable and certainly arent rainproof. 600 lumens seems that it will be ok for road riding. Will test it out later.

Man of Honour
Just completed Hell Hath No Fury (trying to get a few sessions in today as I'm off + doing stuff in the house). Really fun video and makes a nice change from staring at men's arses for 60 minutes at a time.

IIRC, TrainerRoad gives you sessions based on Sufferfest videos but you still need to buy the actual videos from Sufferfest.

I'm going to restart on the turbo tonight which means a 20 minute test. Woop. I'm not expecting great things due to limited time on the bike of late with more gym focus but we'll see...

Yup. The subscription (to Sufferfest, not TR) option doesn't give you actual files - just the ability to stream the videos via the SF app.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone else spotted the Strava Premium 'free month' option? I had a popup on my Strava app this morning and can see it mentioned on the website... I'll probably do it later providing I can do the free month (that came with my Trainer) afterwards! 2 free months of premium! ;)

I'll probably leave my free month of TR (that came with my HRM) still until December (as planned) when hopefully I'll have more time on my Trainer. By all accounts I'll be subscribing to TR rather than SF (and continue purchasing SF DVD's rather than subscribing) that's the plan anyways - as I hate subscription services and want to keep them to a minimum :)

NEEDS MOAR FREEBEEZ! ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom