Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Can anybody foresee any issues using SRAM inners 1.1mm with Shimano outers, usual 1.2mm? (gears)

Are brake and gear outers the same diameter out of interest? or is one usually smaller than the other? I ordered a few brake kits (inners & outers) and am wondering if I can use the brake outers for the gear cables too. I think they might be constructed differently from reading around but I'm not well versed in this area.

Last edited:
Don
Last edited:
Soldato
Can anybody foresee any issues using SRAM inners 1.1mm with Shimano outers, usual 1.2mm? (gears)

Are brake and gear outers the same diameter out of interest? or is one usually smaller than the other?
Different sizes, brake outers are larger and more rigid than gears. SRAM inners with Shimano outers should be ok as they're only very marginal size difference.

I'll "trade" you them :p your GBPs are worth nothing to me anyway ;) haha
Pah! Invest in the future! Our GBP's will be worth more than your Francs and centimes(?) when you leave the Euro! :eek::D

Soldato
Brake cables are 1.5mm/1.6mm afaik.

edit:
They are different construction too - brakes are coiled, gears are lengthways

https://www.bikeman.com/bicycle-repair-tech-info/bikeman-tech-info/1641-cables-a-housing

Different sizes, brake outers are larger and more rigid than gears. SRAM inners with Shimano outers should be ok as they're only very marginal size difference.

Ta, have ordered some Shimano SP41 coloured gear outer from CRC for £2.99 a meter and will use the 1.1mm inner I picked up from Wiggle. If all else fails I can re-use my existing outers as they only have 800m on them.

There I was trying to be cunning by using outers from a Lifeline brake cable set :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Just had my bike fit. Raised the saddle a lot (about 2.5cm :eek: ) and flipped the stem. My back angle was about 35 degrees, which the guy said was pretty damn aggressive, especially as I've only been riding for 2 years. Still feels ok though. Also fixed the level of the saddle a bit.

Certainly felt better on the turbo. Also got some new insoles on the shoes. My arch was collapsing at he top of the down stroke.

Overall I'm quite happy with it. He also said that slightly shorted cranks wouldn't be a bad idea. Probably 165mm.

The real test will be out on the road of course. He said that the issue present themselves quite clearly on the turbo and are most prominent then as the bike is pretty fixed.

I definitely need to work on my flexibility. The guy doing the fitting said he could see a that I'm not that flexible and that required some of the changes we had to make.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is the CAAD12 really as good as the bikeradar review thing claimed?
My CAAD10 is so uncomfortable, and really kills me due to how crappy and broken up the road surfaces are around here.
I wouldn't imagine the CAAD12 very different, as they're both Cannondale 'race' focused frames. Those after comfort/sportive-type are pointed towards the Synapse.
Overall I'm quite happy with it. He also said that slightly shorted cranks wouldn't be a bad idea. Probably 165mm.
Am I right in thinking you're running 170mm cranks already?! Quite strange he would suggest shorter cranks still as you're not that short (IIRC)?

Saddle up or down will usually lead to some kinda arch problem - partly due to the saddle 'feeling' like it's in the wrong place due to the side to side movement you get from collapsing arches. I'm the same and I had mine too high causing quite a lot of my torso 'rock'. Getting it somewhere near right did feel strange at first (I even felt like I'd lost power for the first week!) but after that my power has steadily improved and I'm substantially more comfortable now. :cool:

Getting your position more upright/comfortable will certainly help any tiredness on the bike - you can get your aggressive position in the drops, when you need it! :D

Soldato
I wouldn't imagine the CAAD12 very different, as they're both Cannondale 'race' focused frames. Those after comfort/sportive-type are pointed towards the Synapse.
Am I right in thinking you're running 170mm cranks already?! Quite strange he would suggest shorter cranks still as you're not that short (IIRC)?

Saddle up or down will usually lead to some kinda arch problem - partly due to the saddle 'feeling' like it's in the wrong place due to the side to side movement you get from collapsing arches. I'm the same and I had mine too high causing quite a lot of my torso 'rock'. Getting it somewhere near right did feel strange at first (I even felt like I'd lost power for the first week!) but after that my power has steadily improved and I'm substantially more comfortable now. :cool:

Getting your position more upright/comfortable will certainly help any tiredness on the bike - you can get your aggressive position in the drops, when you need it! :D

Yeah. 170mm cranks. I am 5 foot 4 (163cm to be exact) so fairly small! Haha! Yeah, he asked if I was using the drops a lot, and I said that I'm not. Flipping the stem should enable me to use them more he said.

I think with increased hamstring flexibility (in a good 6 months or so) then things might change again, perhaps the stem changed again.

Don
Changed the rear gear cable tonight, much easier than I thought, although both barrel adjusters were seized (and only managed to free the rear one).

Shifts are 99% perfect, but will play a bit more with the indexing after I have ridden it a bit.

Will buy either some new side cutters or proper tool, as mine were blunt and didn't do a great job. Now I'm more confident with it, for £2.99 I'll have another go and sort it properly soon.

Soldato
Yeah. 170mm cranks. I am 5 foot 4 (163cm to be exact) so fairly small! Haha! Yeah, he asked if I was using the drops a lot, and I said that I'm not. Flipping the stem should enable me to use them more he said.

I think with increased hamstring flexibility (in a good 6 months or so) then things might change again, perhaps the stem changed again.
Ahh fair points & fairly sound advice. Using the drops really depends on your riding, if you're riding fairly aggressively descending and pushing hard into headwinds it makes sense to get as aero as possible by using them. The increased braking power you get from their position is also very useful descending, but you need to get comfortable using them to make the most of it (I still get lots of ache in my forearms after long sessions in them). You mentioned before your previous position was quite aggressive so you many not have noticed much aero difference using them? That'll change now but it'll take a little while to get used to riding more upright.

With the drops tell yourself 'they make you faster' then you'll have no problem using them! ;)
Will buy either some new side cutters or proper tool, as mine were blunt and didn't do a great job. Now I'm more confident with it, for £2.99 I'll have another go and sort it properly soon.
Well done, easy isn't it! Gear alignment/indexing can be one of the most daunting tasks of home maintenance. I know guys in one of my clubs who won't even attempt to change gear cables! :eek:

I've got a good pair of side cutters, strong and sharp enough to trim parts off PC cases, they're still not strong enough (or maybe the user isn't!) to get a good cut on a gear/brake cable. A proper cutter will serve you well as cutting gear/brake housing/outers is even harder to get tidy!
Got myself a collection started now :)
Ooooh pretty! Supersix and Caad8? Like the Arione? How does it compare to what you were using previously?

Soldato
Ahh fair points & fairly sound advice. Using the drops really depends on your riding, if you're riding fairly aggressively descending and pushing hard into headwinds it makes sense to get as aero as possible by using them. The increased braking power you get from their position is also very useful descending, but you need to get comfortable using them to make the most of it (I still get lots of ache in my forearms after long sessions in them). You mentioned before your previous position was quite aggressive so you many not have noticed much aero difference using them? That'll change now but it'll take a little while to get used to riding more upright.

With the drops tell yourself 'they make you faster' then you'll have no problem using them! ;)

Yeah, I think it will definitely take some getting used to. However, I think my position was far too aggressive for the style of riding I do. I do a lot of climbing, and it's what I want to improve on the most, so being super low wasn't really helping me a huge amount there. Whilst I'm less aggressive, it'll be more comfortable, and is probably a much more sensible position.

From what the fitter said, it's still more aggressive than they would normally suggest for someone not racing, but I should still see the comfort benefits. I think about the drops, using them just made my position insanely low. Which coming from an already aggressive position probably just make me too uncomfortable.

Got myself a collection started now :)

Nice little collection started there Sgt Pepper!

Soldato
Weather was nice out yesterday. Little ride down by the canal.

13551705_1620415988272262_943522261_n.jpg

Soldato
I'm getting frustrated with my bike!

I thought it would be indexing but I'm doubting..

some gears refuse to go up/down smoothly, now I'd think "hey it's indexing" but i'd expect it to either refuse to go down or go up.. but this is literally both ways, and it's not clicking or anything it simply sits there for a while and pops the gear up/down ???

new cables maybe?

Soldato
Strava finally responded about Everest NoFilter Challenge... they refreshed the challenge data and I gained the badge.

Asked them to remove a segment from a ride I self-flagged as GPS error data and they just unflagged it without removing segment :rolleyes:

Associate
Ooooh pretty! Supersix and Caad8? Like the Arione? How does it compare to what you were using previously?

It's not a bad saddle, have yet to do any real distance on it tho. Nearly all the other bikes I've owned over they years get a Charge Spoon put on them first thing, I can do a fair few miles on those even in regular shorts without padding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom