Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
That's pretty much it to be honest. One thing you'll notice is that it will shift differently under load.

Any way to 'simulate' this apart from getting out on the bike?

I used to get my cotton ones from here:

http://www.prendas.co.uk/cycle-clothing/hats-headwear/cotton-cycling-caps.html

4 for £25 isn't bad.

Good shout, thanks! Think I've ended up there before but hadn't spotted the caps!

My new tyres feel fantastic after the Kendas! As long as they are a bit more puncture resistant then I'm quite pleased with my budget purchase :p

How budget and what are they? ;)

I wanna go cycling tonight but it looks like I won't be granted sign off from the Mrs. :(

I'm tempted... But got this 40 mile 'sportive' on saturday (with more hills than I'd like on my first ride of that distance)... Also the weather is meant to be a bit rubbish?! Typical :rolleyes:

I was intending on resting Friday but now the mrs wants the car... So rest day thursday now. My legs are still feeling last saturday's ride (and my longest weekly distance to date) so maybe I should go for a ride tonight (weather looks fantastic!) and rest tomorrow also. Two rest days. Decisions, decisions! :cool:

Soldato
but I can ride ALL I WANT AND EVERYTHING I WANT SO BOGOOHOHO

This is the up side.

I've been told that my bike is a carbon fibre object and is incapable of feeling emotions. This is after I said that my bike will miss being in the sun with me. Meh, not true :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, but I'm married so I really can ride whenever I want.

Oh no, wait, I'm married. Forget everything I said.

I'm not even married and I'm in the same boat Asprilla! :rolleyes:

hey guys, just had a thought

my lights on my bike, im not going to be using them now for a long time, my knog blinder has a storage mode

not sure about my Lezyne Macro Drive, anyone know if this has a storage mode ?

thanks

ok no problem
I remember my cat eye volt 1200 had a storage mode , well pretty sure it did

thanks

Not heard of a 'Storage mode' before? What's it like? Decharge the battery and just leave it (then charge when you want it again?). My Volt100 doesn't have one...

Underboss
knog blinder R STORAGE MODE

Storage mode optimizes the battery longevity. Utilise it when light isn't used for extended periods (fortnight)
after storage, recharge battery to full before use

1. Fully charge the battery until light goes green

2. Remove from power source

3. Turn light onto any mode

4. Hold button for 5 seconds (until light glows red)

NOTE
Light will drain its self to the optimum voltage level and turn itself off, it will flash 3 times before turning off

Caporegime
storage mode is just how you are supposed to store lipo batteries for long term storage
From an RC car company
Storing Your Batteries

... LiPo batteries should be stored at 50% capacity. Store LiPo batteries in a charging bag or case. Do NOT store LiPo batteries discharged, as this will reduce battery performance and may lead to over-discharging if the packs are stored discharged for an extended length of time. The Traxxas EZ-Peak Plus makes it easy to store LiPos properly; just recharge the pack using Storage mode and it will charge the pack to 50% capacity.

LiPos and Low Voltage Detection
Over-discharging a LiPo battery will cause irreparable damage and may cause battery failure. To prevent over-discharging, only use Traxxas Power Cell LiPo batteries with an electronic speed control (ESC) that has a low-voltage detection system or alarm. All current Traxxas vehicles equipped with the XL-5, VXL-3s, VXL-3m and Castle Creations ESCs have Low Voltage Detection. Traxxas ESCs will show a green light to indicate Low Voltage Detection is turned on; the Castle Creations ESC will beep once for each LiPo cell it detects (for example, 4 beeps if you have installed two 2-cell packs in your model). The Castle speed control automatically activates its low-voltage detection mode when it detects it is connected to LiPo batteries. If you are uncertain about how to turn on and use Low Voltage Detection, consult your vehicle's manual or click here for some helpful support instructions. If you need further assistance, feel free to call 888-TRAXXAS. We're happy to help.
I think they just discharge slower when they aren't at full capacity or it limits battery failure and a fire

Last edited:
Soldato
Storage mode is exactly that, dropping the voltage to the optimum level for long term lack of use. For LiPos basically- Fully charged is OK but I wouldn't recommend having them right up at 100%. 50-60% is optimal. Most important of all don't let them go flat and then store them. LiPos are very unstable when the voltage drops below a threshold level.

Normally my best advice would be to take them off the bike, if the low level warning isn't on then they are fine to store.

How budget and what are they? ;)
Change from £25 for two tyres and two tubes cheap enough? :p

I went for Michelin Lithion 2 in 25mm. I honestly wasn't expecting to notice a difference but they are very compliant on the road.

I probably should have spent more but by not doing so I can justify my new saddle that I'm picking up on Thursday :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
During winter instead of buying a CX could I put better tyres on my bike?

Depends on what you're trying to avoid in winter. Punctures from all the crud on the road? Better tyres will indeed help. Getting wet? Mudguards will help; your current bike may already be good for this. Salt damage? You want something with cheap components or you need to be diligent about cleaning things. Ice and snow? Snow tyres are serious business and may not even fit on a CX bike, depending on the clearances.

A CX bike is usually good for wide tyres, with optional knobbles, and usually mudguard mounts. It's by no means essential for getting through winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom