Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I'm finally getting a proper road helmet so I'll be making do without my extremely handy MTB helmet visor from now on. My current cycling glasses are also scratched to fudge so I could do with getting a new pair.

I've heard that without the visor I need to think about glasses that come up a little higher to give me more protection from the wind. I currently have a pair of clear lens cheapish Endura glasses that have done me well. I could get the same again but will I struggle using them without a visor to provide additional wind/sun shelter? Generally speaking I struggle with bright sunlight more than most, though as I say, the visor + clear polarised glasses combo has been fine.

Soldato
Any Scottish people frequent this thread?
Or anyone travelling up from anywhere for the Loch Ness E-Tape this Sunday?

I'm Scottish but i'm not riding the etape.
My dad is doing it so I might be around but it's an early start and I have a TT later in the day.

Good luck if you're doing it. The climb up Glen Doe fron Fort Augustus is hard going.

Soldato
I'm Scottish but i'm not riding the etape.
My dad is doing it so I might be around but it's an early start and I have a TT later in the day.

Good luck if you're doing it. The climb up Glen Doe fron Fort Augustus is hard going.

Ah nice one! I managed to get a place last night so looking forward to it. We went out and done Glendoe 2 weekends ago and I 2015 KOM'd a few the segments, it's a fantastic climb I can't wait to hit it in a big group.

Are you in the Inverness area or travelling here with your dad?

Soldato
Similar to me, I went from doing an easy 14 miles (with a stop) to a hard/fast 32 miles with none! I've found once over the 20 mile mark it's all about fuelling yourself more than anything else. Fairly sure I can do much further with the right fuelling, actually have a 40 mile 'mini-sportive' this weekend! :)

I must admit I have only ever eaten on a ride once and that was when doing several hours of MTB riding a couple of weekends ago when I had a very healthy slab of chocolate cake and a 4:1 High-5 Energy drink mix that I got free :o I always carry a gel (another freebie) 'just in case' but I have no idea what just in case actually means. I keep assuming that one day I'm going to just run out of go and grind to a halt but my legs and backside always give up before then!

Soldato
Which glasses do you have? I have the Endura Stingrays. No problems with wind if that helps. TBH, you will be fine, I've not heard this being a thing either.

Soldato
Similar to me, I went from doing an easy 14 miles (with a stop) to a hard/fast 32 miles with none! I've found once over the 20 mile mark it's all about fuelling yourself more than anything else. Fairly sure I can do much further with the right fuelling, actually have a 40 mile 'mini-sportive' this weekend! :)

I sure you'll be fine with longer rides

Managed my 1st 100km at the weekend, but no where near the pace your doing :o

Now I just need to build up my speed to faster than a striking slug :D

Man of Honour
Okay, I'll put that down as complete and utter bunk then. I probably should've researched it first but sometimes it's nice to just ask people :)

I'm not sure which Enduras they are tbh. They look similar to Stingrays but the lenses aren't changeable. I've looked at the current models online and can't see any that exactly match them. I prefer to have ones where the lenses can't be changed as it really annoys me if they fall out/are fiddly.

Associate
Rest day for me yesterday. SoliD popped round in the evening to do a saddle swap. Which hopefully means I can get back on the road bike. Although I've now somehow gone and lost my cycling shoes.

Last two commutes to work have been pretty peaceful. I've seen my friend on the motorbike, but we seem to pass each other at another point now, where he can't complain.

I'm owed an hour at work for working at the weekend, so will probably leave early and do a session tonight.
On the subject of work; they've turned one of the gent's toilets into a female only toilet. Problem being that was the only location I could change my clothes in. There's another gent's loo, but it's possibly the smallest cubicle in the world, if I bend over my cheeks hit the wall :) So I asked the directors if there was another room I could use. I was told to use one of the director's office, which I used. Unfortunately a poor old lady walked in as I was putting my shorts on, and certainly got a fright :) Waiting for the complaint to reach my boss.

Soldato
Ah nice one! I managed to get a place last night so looking forward to it. We went out and done Glendoe 2 weekends ago and I 2015 KOM'd a few the segments, it's a fantastic climb I can't wait to hit it in a big group.

Are you in the Inverness area or travelling here with your dad?

I'm in Inverness. The route passes around 100metres from my house :)
I wont be around at that time to see it though.

Associate
I went for a run yesterday.

Man, my core hurts this morning. Legs were burning, but it didn't seem to impact performance.

It also appeared to be bring your car to work day.

Soldato
Wore my north wave boots for the first time tonight.

Wow, they feel heavy compared to summer shoes, the difference is probably only 100g.

Secondly they seem to have a thicker sole, as it felt like I wanted to put my saddle up slightly to compensate.

Lastly I would prefer the bottom to have a sandpaper like section where you mount the cleat along with a chequered pattern to make adjusting the cleat easier.

However my feet were kept dry and toasty which is better than not riding due to bad weather!

Soldato
I'm in Inverness. The route passes around 100metres from my house :)
I wont be around at that time to see it though.

Me too :cool: You are with MFCC? I am guessing you are doing that 10mile TT out Cawdor way on Sunday :cool:

I am not in a club or anything, but I know a few guys in MFCC and few of the good cyclists around our area. I am most tempted by MFCC than the Inverness one, the ones who wear white/pink kit can't remember which club they are as think there is 2 Inverness ones. Do you go along to there weeknight rides a lot? I'd be keen to jump in but I am shy so would be good to have a route in if that makes sense to you?

Soldato
but will I struggle using them without a visor to provide additional wind/sun shelter?

Well, it could be rubbish, hence me asking on here :)

Not rubbish but not really something to worry about with most cycling orientated glasses anyway!? The lenses are usually slightly higher/face covering/wraparound than 'normal' sunglasses. I have a large head :)p) and struggle when finding comfortable glasses/sunglasses, also a wide nose bridge so I generally have to 'shop around' to find some which fit over my nose, are comfortable and don't squeeze my head too tight. I'm an XL in most cycling helmets for example (and towards the end of the adjustment).

Getting a pair with replacement lenses is great - sunglasses when you want them (weekend rides for me), clear lenses (winter/rain commuting). My current pair (Similar to these) even have some 'orange' lenses for between those two scenarios. They work well in the overcast mornings too - seemingly making the lower light conditions seem brighter/easier to see!

I've considered getting a cap to wear under my helmet in the really sunny days for some shade, or at least have the option of some. I could also wear it in the rain to keep some rain from my face/glasses - dual purpose! :D

I must admit I have only ever eaten on a ride once and that was when doing several hours of MTB riding a couple of weekends ago when I had a very healthy slab of chocolate cake and a 4:1 High-5 Energy drink mix that I got free :o I always carry a gel (another freebie) 'just in case' but I have no idea what just in case actually means. I keep assuming that one day I'm going to just run out of go and grind to a halt but my legs and backside always give up before then!

I carry a gel too for 'just in case'. Probably if I know I'm heading homewards and really struggling on the last 10/15 miles! ;) Any more than that it's worth stopping for a rest and eating something more. I like to carry haribo (Wiggle!), flapjack/museli bars and more recently some dried fruit. Most can be eaten when moving but 50% of the time I'm usually on a leisurely weekend ride and I find somewhere nice to stop!

I don't find I have time to eat when on fast/hard 'shop' 30 mile ride, I find it hard enough to keep up when losing speed sipping my drinks! I've always had to fuel up before the rides and then push through, the iso tabs stop any cramp but it usually means the 'run back' is hard work and a little slower. I suffer from shakes and sometimes even slightly dizzy afterwards, but a sugary coffee and chocolate biscuits soon sort me out! :D

Hopefully with my topbar bag I can now take more food and hopefully fuel easier when riding these. I'm fully intending on taking dried fruit and nuts to munch on regularly while riding longer leisurely rides too! (and this weekend coming). Fruit like grapes/apples will be easy to transport! :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Me too :cool: You are with MFCC? I am guessing you are doing that 10mile TT out Cawdor way on Sunday :cool:

I am not in a club or anything, but I know a few guys in MFCC and few of the good cyclists around our area. I am most tempted by MFCC than the Inverness one, the ones who wear white/pink kit can't remember which club they are as think there is 2 Inverness ones. Do you go along to there weeknight rides a lot? I'd be keen to jump in but I am shy so would be good to have a route in if that makes sense to you?

Yep, i'm in MFCC and i'm doing the Cawdor10.

It's a long time since i've been on any club runs but I can meet you sometime and take you along to one if you want.
I could do Monday next week if you're up for that. The monday ride is a beginner/recovery ride and the pace is gentle. Probably even more so next monday as there will be a few other people who have done the etape and want a gentle recovery.
I could also do a Tuesday for hill reps if that suits you better but it's not such a sociable ride - everyone does their hill reps at their own pace with not much breath left for chatting when recovering before the next rep.
I cant make the thursday evenings or any of the weekend rides for the next few months.

Soldato
I sure you'll be fine with longer rides

Managed my 1st 100km at the weekend, but no where near the pace your doing :o

Now I just need to build up my speed to faster than a striking slug :D

I think that's the thing, my pace rides (30-34 miles) are only just short of my leisure rides (35-40) so I can probably do much further if I want to - it's just finding the time! 2-3 hours out riding is more than enough time for me at the moment as leisure rides I'm always solo (billy-no-cycling-mates) and there's only so much of my own company I can handle! ;) 'Her indoors' worries if I'm out much longer, usually as she's bored! We only regularly get 1 whole (non-work) day together a week so I don't like to ride too long on that day. Trying to get her into some leisure cycling by saying we'll cycle to a local pub for lunch one of them! Although she'll probably disown me in lycra! ;)

I prefer to have ones where the lenses can't be changed as it really annoys me if they fall out/are fiddly.

The DHB ones I linked the lenses are hard to remove, you have to bend them to get some lugs into the frame. The lens may come out with a hard impact to it but the force would be enough to break the lens/frame anyway. Dropping them on the floor won't dislodge the lens.

Last two commutes to work have been pretty peaceful. I've seen my friend on the motorbike, but we seem to pass each other at another point now, where he can't complain.

I have you've been giving him a friendly wave! ;)

I asked the directors if there was another room I could use. I was told to use one of the director's office, which I used. Unfortunately a poor old lady walked in as I was putting my shorts on, and certainly got a fright :) Waiting for the complaint to reach my boss.

Hahaha, be careful she'll probably try and judge the times you're in there to do it again! :rolleyes: Think that's more company policy related regarding not knocking closed doors, especially if it belongs to a director?! :confused:

Wore my north wave boots for the first time tonight.
<snip>
However my feet were kept dry and toasty which is better than not riding due to bad weather!

Which did you go for? I've got the Celsius GTX here but not fitted cleats/worn them yet...! Kinda hoping we have a wet/cold morning next week (weathers turning) so I can! ;)

Soldato
I'm finally getting a proper road helmet so I'll be making do without my extremely handy MTB helmet visor from now on. My current cycling glasses are also scratched to fudge so I could do with getting a new pair.

What you actually need, according to the more fashion conscious cyclists I ride with, is a cap underneath your helmet. Sounds far too warm if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom