Soldato
Hey guys, Quick one.

Two bikes with identical spec.

One has Campagnolo Zonda wheels
Once has Mavic Krysium elites

Much difference between the two?

where do Zondas sit in Mavic's range?

Soldato
on that note, I am waiting for PX to cancel my order, which I did with the code that was posted not long ago..

Also waiting. I ordered a Nanolight and 82mm wheels on buy now, pay later.

Was going to buy a new bike with my bonus at the end of the month but had to be worth a try with the 20% off code!

Soldato
Looks like they are being cancelled.

Status on mine has changed from-

Awaiting parts to being processed - I'm presuming refund :(

hopefully that's a good sign, afaik when I bought my bike it was in processing then picking stage..

Hey guys, Quick one.

hard to say, but both wheelsets are great from the feedback I've seen, I became a bit of a campy fanboy after my khamsins have been epic for the past 6k+ miles! and they're cheap.

Was going to buy a new bike with my bonus at the end of the month but had to be worth a try with the 20% off code!

aha! that'll be quite a saving, I've only got a crankset and BB for my SS build

Soldato
You were saying :p?

Hahahaaha! You've made it a race now ;)

Good point. I'll have get back to you on this.

+1 to this! :) cycling seems to be quite big/biggest topic here in sports arena(excluding football which already has it's own sub-forum)

I think that's a good idea too.

/signed

It would certainly keep everything together and with our 'own' sub-forum we might create more individual threads rather than posting here...

I quite like the one giant thread approach but I can see how its not the most practical.

Agreed, someone who's not taken the 6 weeks to read it all (I took my time) ends up asking a question which was asked only a few pages back... :p:rolleyes:

daveski: looks a good ride, that one climb is the only 'hard' bit - the rest of it looks more like endurance!

I'll get you a better pic! think I may have got the hex bolt from the other mount I had that's probably the reason why you don't have it, afaik superstar won't do much RE that because garmin bolt is a bit different.. and that mount is advertised as gopro compatible but give it a shot see what happens, their service over-all seems quite good.

I think you're right, I probably have one somewhere which will fit but it probably won't be a hex bolt or stainless :rolleyes:

Waiting to hear back from Superstar, I've emailed them a link to your picture and said "I was missing a silver hex bolt" so we'll see what they say ;)

Which 'other mount' did you have?

Last edited:
Soldato

I almost did the same! But I think the code must be for a specific staff member, it comes up with his name when you add the discount so not surprised it's not being honored :p

Caporegime
Hey guys, Quick one.

Mavic are bad for using proprietary spokes, meaning it's a pain to get wheels fixed if something breaks. Now I can't say for sure whether Campagnolo do the same, but it's worth checking.

Soldato
For anyone in future asking what bike to buy, you probably need to give us the following information:

Mileage? Commuting? Leisure? Ridden much before? Road surfaces/conditions? Budget? Fit/size?

(I'll flesh this post out when I have time)

Man of Honour
For anyone in future asking what bike to buy, you probably need to give us the following information:

Mileage? Commuting? Leisure? Ridden much before? Road surfaces/conditions? Budget? Fit/size?

(I'll flesh this post out when I have time)

We need someone to mock-up a meme-style picture with the caption "Hybrids: Just say no"

Soldato
Is there a good iPhone handlebar mount? Not for long rides, just for satnav purposes etc.

I did try the 'Veho SAEM S6' mount for my S5 and it wasn't big enough. Quality was a bit 'meh' but the price when it was on sale with the handlebar mount (£~20) was ok. Anything more I'd look at a bag that mounts on your top bar with a top pocket for a phone, certainly cheaper than some of the £60 mounts I was looking at and probably more useful+waterproof...

EDIT: WOOHOO first post page 2!

We need someone to mock-up a meme-style picture with the caption "Hybrids: Just say no"

I-DONT-LIKE-hybrids.jpg
? :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Gert expensive, but looks pretty good.

In other news, I've been riding in waisted tights instead of bibs recently. I think I prefer it. My bibs have a habit of pulling my balls into me and I don't like the constriction around my chest. My waisted tights and shorts don't do this and I find it more comfortable. Probably the same reason I don't find my tri suit very comfortable and prefer separates. Vive le revolution.

Man of Honour
Gert expensive, but looks pretty good.

In other news, I've been riding in waisted tights instead of bibs recently. I think I prefer it. My bibs have a habit of pulling my balls into me and I don't like the constriction around my chest. My waisted tights and shorts don't do this and I find it more comfortable. Probably the same reason I don't find my tri suit very comfortable and prefer separates. Vive le revolution.

I almost bought non-bib shorts for my summer commuting but at the last moment I changed my mind - too many memories of my shorts falling off the back of my arse or getting snagged on my saddle in some annoying way.

I do find bibs can be a bit constricting 'down there' though.

Associate
Hi guys, in the market for some new waterproof commuting trousers as I ripped mine on the big ring setting off this morning! doh,

can anyone recommend? don't want to spend more than £30-40.

Nick

Soldato
I almost bought non-bib shorts for my summer commuting but at the last moment I changed my mind - too many memories of my shorts falling off the back of my arse or getting snagged on my saddle in some annoying way.

I do find bibs can be a bit constricting 'down there' though.

I always caught mine on my saddle and once you've done it once on a ride you do it every time you stop... :rolleyes:

Hi guys, in the market for some new waterproof commuting trousers as I ripped mine on the big ring setting off this morning! doh,

can anyone recommend? don't want to spend more than £30-40.

Nick

Are you after cycling specific? The DHB Mono Overtrousers are very waterproof (and great quality) but the fit/cut isn't very good. The high-viz version currently have 50% off them putting them at £20. I'm normally a Large in DHB and I'm wearing the Large/Short and they're really restrictive around my thighs (have to 'tweak' them up like suit trousers). The leg straps are great but don't line up very well when tightening them to make them more aero/less flappy. I'm also wearing bracers to hold them up in place at the back as they're not overly suited for a cycling position.

You might have more luck with the Altura Nevis, in hindsight I should probably have tried them rather than continuing with the DHB's...

Other more cycling specific waterproofs are stupidly expensive so you're stuck with spending money within your budget and risking the fit/sizing, spending stupid money on some, buying non-cycling specific (I previous used £25 Moutain Warehouse ones with cycle clips) or the final option is thus... (and where I'm heading towards):

For me, first off, spending upwards of £80 on some bibbed padded tights is a lot of money. I've been disappointed with cycling specific waterproof trousers and the £30 I spent on some I kept (when I should have returned them) still bugs me as a waste (and why I've continued wearing them) :rolleyes:

This winter to combat the cold I wore thermal passed bib tights with some cheap chinese bib tights over the top for additional wind protection - I'd manually removed the pad. Now as this worked so well I'm thinking some waterproof/windproof bib tights *without a pad* may be a sound investment as: I could wear them over padded shorts (warmish summer/spring showers), over padded tights (spring/autumn) and over padded thermals (winter). I've not had a good hunt for any (yet) and I'll probably get some from china when I do... But food for thought - the benefit of bib fit, yet waterproof and windproof whatever the weather :)

Some examples of (what I would call expensive) bibs with some water protection:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/morvelo-prisma-thermoactive-stormshield-bib-tights/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-total-comfort-bib-tights/

Obviously they have pads... I think Castelli do a pair too but can't see them on Wiggle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom