Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
It looks like I win at ebay. I sold all the spare bits from that Planet X bundle for about £60.

That means that all told I've spent about £450 on parts for my single speed bike, compared to £500 if I bought it pre-built; mine comes with better finishing kit than the stock model, but worse wheels, go figure. I've also spent £40 or so on tools I needed (steerer cutting guide, headset press, BB tool) and about £40 on accessories which I'd have needed anyway (mudguards, bottle cages, garmin mount, pump bracket). Not bad.

Now I just need to build the thing...

Associate
New shiny thread :D

Any recommendations for a bike that I can just pop into town on, was thinking maybe a single speeder rather than clipping into my road bike etc?

Looking to spend around £200...

Associate
Thanks Roady, just need some cheapo ones, its only 25mins cycle into work. Will probably check out the DHB ones, I'm only little, hopefully my thighs wont be big enough to be an issue :]

Nick

Soldato
http://road.cc/content/news/144625-...nd-wave-cycle-city-ambition-funding-announced

Based on the infrastructure "improvements" that have been proposed/built in the past couple of years in Manchester this is actually potentially bad news for cycling here :rolleyes:

LLsJYza.jpg

Soldato
Thanks Roady, just need some cheapo ones, its only 25mins cycle into work. Will probably check out the DHB ones, I'm only little, hopefully my thighs wont be big enough to be an issue :]

Nick

Yes, I have thunder thighs! :(

I told Wiggle I was a sprinter and very upset with their lack of fit/options for my sizing ;)

Those £19 DHB'd would be good, if you can put up with the high-viz! Failing that try the Altura if you're not afraid of spending top of your budget (and please let me know what they're like). If budget is more your thing then some non-cycling ones you'll get a better choice for less than £20. The mountain warehouse ones I wore with clips cost me £25 I think but they only lasted 1 winter before becoming 'not-so' waterproof on the thighs...

Close, pretty much set on an S3 now. Unless I change my mind, again.

The S3 looks an amazing ride, good choice :D

http://road.cc/content/news/144625-...nd-wave-cycle-city-ambition-funding-announced

Based on the infrastructure "improvements" that have been proposed/built in the past couple of years in Manchester this is actually potentially bad news for cycling here :rolleyes:

It's a step in the right direction, but the money just needs to go to the right places - look at how much money they threw at London. It works to a degree but it does nothing/very little for actual cyclist safety even with the segregated cyclist lanes.

Side note: Good clean & service of my bike on the weekend, repressured my 23's to 90PSI and it's made things a bit more comfortable. Also took everything out my saddle bag and wrapped anything metal in bits of old inner tube... Loads of my 'jangle' noises from hitting a lump in the road have gone, now I'm just left with the 'clatter' from my mudguards (which is a little better than it was when running tyres at 100PSI).

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
You'll probably not get much for that without going used, but if it's the right size this looks interesting:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/nework-500-city-bike-id_8303893.html

That seems a great buy for the money, but as mentioned for proper value for money (at that budget) you've gotta go S/H.

I've actually got a Carrera Subway 2 (2011 model I think) hybrid here I should be selling for less than your budget - tyres have plenty of tread as it's only done around 700 miles & I've got new pads for it. Trust me if you're interested and could pick up from Hereford (or I can deliver any reasonable distance).

Caporegime

They'd be better off spending £22M on reeducating drivers to wait patiently behind us until there's room to pass wide. That would make way more difference than any number of 100 yard cycle lanes that end up guiding you into the nearest lamp post as soon as they get to a junction that actually needs a segregated bike lane.

Soldato

The carriageway "improvements" they made to the road out to Cheadle from Parrs Wood have made it lethal. Narrowed the road significantly to add a bike lane on the pavement, which cars just use as parking for the playing field. Not to mention you now have to cross the road to use the bike lane from start to finish.

Soldato
The carriageway "improvements" they made to the road out to Cheadle from Parrs Wood have made it lethal. Narrowed the road significantly to add a bike lane on the pavement, which cars just use as parking for the playing field. Not to mention you now have to cross the road to use the bike lane from start to finish.

There's several of those around here, it's safer to actually ride on the road where most of them are as they go across the ends of peoples drives/over big drain covers/dropped tarmac for lowered pavements etc! :eek::o

Edit: Shimano 'Windbreak' performance bib tights for £40 (I've no idea on Shimano branded clothing quality?) - only Small and XS available though.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Absolutely. That is a prime example of the utterly crap "improvements" that we're likely to continue seeing.

That road used to be wide enough to allow cars to easily overtake you when required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom