Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
And whilst on such subjects, might be of interest to you guys -
http://www.veloveritas.co.uk/2015/11/06/craig-wallace-nov15/

He's the lovely bloke who smashed the legs off everyone tail end of last season up here. Touch managed to stick on his wheel and work in a group with him in a race for a lap which was awesome, then he just rode away for the win when he felt like it! :p
The coach mentioned in the interview is our main man at mine/Touch club, he doesn't coach us but is super helpful and always has time for everyone which is cool :) He's also a beast on the bike himself, Google for his history if you are interested ;)

Soldato
It's a good idea on their part because I assume anyone can join the club, get the kit and "feel" like a pro.

I think the club element also acts as a feeder for the pro team, so if you think you're good enough then it's a good way to get noticed I guess. Another guy from track called Alex Harvey has gone down that route this year on a sort-of internship basis.

Yeah the kit and feel thing is good, it gets the name around and people following - certainly when they can 'see the local club' on TV (Tour of Britain) people are really interested.

Several of the NFTO guys are involved with training and some of the youth clubs around here and dare I say it... Some of those youth riders are incredible and have great futures ahead of themselves! One of the local coaches runs a 'group riding skills' session for the youngsters on one of the car parks next to my work. Can be sometimes 20 of them riding close in a small peloton - great skills to learn at a young age!

Cheers for all the info Roady.
Sounds pretty awesome, must be great having this setup on your doorstep, I would definitely be getting involved!
<snip> Wish I didn't have to work and could concentrate on training as much as that :cool:

Oh I want to be, but I'm not at a good enough level to even join the weekend ride yet (usually 60-70 miles @18/19mph), want to be in future although I can't quite commit to riding 10+ hours a week (outside of commuting) to get there anytime soon lol :eek:

Thankfully here there are several (3-4) other socially orientated/shop affiliated clubs. I'd never realised before (when not a cyclist) just how popular cycling was around Hereford!

Without working 45+ hours a week I'd love to spend more time riding! Wouldn't we all! :D :rolleyes:

And whilst on such subjects, might be of interest to you guys -
http://www.veloveritas.co.uk/2015/11/06/craig-wallace-nov15/

Good read, thanks - saved for lunchtime tomorrow ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
My club run very popular junior coaching sessions with fully qualified coaches. They run track sessions, skills sessions, fitness and racing events. It's pretty impressive considering they are all volunteers.

As well as senior Saturday and Sunday club rides, and intro ride on Saturdays for new members, as hoc off road sessions and summer evening weekday chain gangs.

Man of Honour
I don't think Manchester Wheelers leave dropped people behind (at least on anything other than the fastest group rides). It's more just generally being welcome to newcomers. They're not that bad either, just that NCC were better.

Soldato
Wind has been killer around here too. Always seems to be a headwind as well!
Although I had a cracker of a tailwind the other week, shame it was pitch black and I feared I was going to die, I'd have flown home.

Pushed myself to do John's mini training run on Zwift tonight. Felt good. Throat and cold felt OK too, so hope I didn't make things worse.

Soldato
My club run very popular junior coaching sessions with fully qualified coaches. They run track sessions, skills sessions, fitness and racing events. It's pretty impressive considering they are all volunteers.

As well as senior Saturday and Sunday club rides, and intro ride on Saturdays for new members, as hoc off road sessions and summer evening weekday chain gangs.

Same as my Club, really great set up especially for the youngsters, contributing to travel costs and we've got our own fleet of track bikes and equipment such as bike box and disc wheels.

Soldato
Got the DHB Blok Micro 'Softshell Windslam Roubaix Jacket' and although it's great quality it really is a jacket fit. I'm returning it to exchange for the DHB ASV 'Windslam Roubaix Jersey' which I'm hoping is a slightly tighter fit.

I don't really need jackets (when not raining!) with the other jerseys I tend to wear - Sportful Wind jersey & DHB Windslam Blade and was after something similar. The Micro would be very warm with a jersey under it as it has no vents - too warm for the current temps, but probably ok in anything under 4-5 degrees. It does look awesome though and amazing quality, feels thicker & better than the Macro Roubaix Jersey I have :cool:

Are you sure you got the right size?

I just received it and it's certainly a jersey fit in medium. A zip garage would have been nice and arms are slightly too long but can't do too much about that! It feels like a great material and certainly very tempted to keep it for use in sub 5C temperatures.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds similar to here, although it is a collection of clubs and ride types.
Saturday morning: Climb on Bikes - 3 rides (womens/kids & 2 mens) 30-40 miles.
Sunday morning: Steels rides, Hereford Wheelers easy-pace ride 50-60 miles, Chaingang cycles harder ride, 40 miles. Coach junior tutoring/group training 'Ride-On'.
Lunchtime: NFTO club ride 60-80 mile, hardest, furthest & fastest!
Monday: Evening, Sutton ride, 20-30 miles, high-pace.
Tuesday: Evening, Hill climbs various. 25 TT once a month (summer).
Wednesday: Morning, Wednesday Wheelers social, Evening, Hill climbs various.
Thursday: Evening, Wheelers turbo sessions (winter), 10 mile TT (summer).
Friday: Evening, Wheelers Antiques Road Show social.

There are more, those are just the ones I know of from the clubs I ride with/know about! Gannets CC have their own - don't know them but they're the oldest running club (guy from my work rode with them in the 1960s!). The Hereford Triathlon club have their own as well!

Pushed myself to do John's mini training run on Zwift tonight. Felt good. Throat and cold felt OK too, so hope I didn't make things worse.
Kill or cure! I'm dosing myself up as had a sniffle (and lurgy going around work)... Don't want to be ill on holiday next week! :o

Are you sure you got the right size?

I just received it and it's certainly a jersey fit in medium. A zip garage would have been nice and arms are slightly too long but can't do too much about that! It feels like a great material and certainly very tempted to keep it for use in sub 5C temperatures.
I had a medium too, I guess it's like a thick jersey but the fit wasn't close/good enough on me for what I wanted it for. I do tend to prefer more stretched style garments (although that comes from my body shape - I've got broad shoulders/chest with short arms).

I'm hoping the NFTO Castelli 'LS Thermal jersey' is a good compromise as the £40 friday deal I'm hoping for really makes it competitive. I'm going to get the NFTO Castelli 'Windstopper Winter Jacket' too, at £60 it might not be cheap but £100 for 2 winter castelli garments is a bit of a no brainer! If I don't/can't get these (I'm a Large in Castelli tops, quite popular) I'll hopefully still be able to pick up the DHB ASV Windslam Roubaix jersey from Wiggle for £42, although can't decide what size to order it in! I've always been Large in DHB tops but that Softshell makes me think I should try a Medium to get the fit I want! Although Softshell was 'Performance' fit and the ASV is 'Professional', I could still be Large... :confused:

EDIT: FT, the squirrel has entered the nest.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is this wind ever going to stop... Good grief.

The weekend weather looks absolutely dire, starting tomorrow. Very strong winds and heavy rain. :( My yearly mileage is low so far this year, but that's not this years goal. For me its all about being fitter, stronger, faster and a better climber as opposed to cranking out the miles. So missing out on nice riding days doesn't feel so important to me this year as I'm trying harder on the turbo. Still, I know what I'd rather be doing...

Same as my Club, really great set up especially for the youngsters, contributing to travel costs and we've got our own fleet of track bikes and equipment such as bike box and disc wheels.

That's pretty damned good! As with all things, it comes down to money I guess.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This morning was lovely - so calm compared to how it's been! Shame it's gonna pour this evening.

I'll be getting the train tomorrow and Monday. I need to do it at least one day as I need to get to Evans to pick up a rack and panniers, which I'm gonna start using once I start my new job and can commute on my single speed bike.

Soldato
I'll hopefully still be able to pick up the DHB ASV Windslam Roubaix jersey from Wiggle for £42, although can't decide what size to order it in! I've always been Large in DHB tops but that Softshell makes me think I should try a Medium to get the fit I want! Although Softshell was 'Performance' fit and the ASV is 'Professional', I could still be Large... :confused:

Just order both sizes and return the other? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom