Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
OK - after a bit of help. I picked up an Planet X RT-90 frameset, which was delivered today.

Slight problem - the rear brake mounting point is sealed. See here : https://twitter.com/hofster84/status/692796255332929536

I'm incredibly hesitant to attempt to drill it out in case I completely destroy the frame. Even if it were to look a success, with Carbon isn't there a chance that it could damage the integrity of the frame?

I've emailed PX - first preference is that they pick up and replace, unless someone can tell me that this is quite common and is easy to sort?

Caporegime
OK - after a bit of help. I picked up an Planet X RT-90 frameset, which was delivered today.

Slight problem - the rear brake mounting point is sealed. See here : https://twitter.com/hofster84/status/692796255332929536

I'm incredibly hesitant to attempt to drill it out in case I completely destroy the frame. Even if it were to look a success, with Carbon isn't there a chance that it could damage the integrity of the frame?

I've emailed PX - first preference is that they pick up and replace, unless someone can tell me that this is quite common and is easy to sort?

Does that bit not pull out? Like a plug? It could be there from when it was painted to mask the hole. When I got my steel frame from Planet X there were little caps on the v brake mounts.

Soldato
ApvZG1gqRAOX6ETJ5aL1kMw-7rycKwYyml9oIs1PwDuu.jpg

Ordered a trainer tyre finally, bottle cage for the aeroad and pedals are actually for the MTB. Should have all bikes sorted now then :p

Soldato
Did you receive that pod btw?

Yes mate, thanks! Got sidetracked yesterday, will do what I said shortly!

Is that just cycling shoes/boots? Or other footwear too?

Cycling shoes/boots. Sidi Hydro boots, Sidi Kaos shoes, Giro Treble II Shoes (for my change from SPD to SPD-SL) and a pair of Northwave Celsius GTX SPD boots I 'sold' to Paul (then the damn courier lost them!).

The brakes are unpredictable, difficult to service, maintain and set-up. The only thing I can see that I can do from here is to upgrade to hydraulic - which sounds like it would be very expensive - or ditch the bike altogether, because I don't think I can trust these brakes at all.

Split & sell would cover quite a bit of the cost of replacement, personally if you were happy with the frame I'd just replace the brakes & sell the old (after getting a warranty replacement). Sounds like you've had rubbish luck with a combination of bad setup.

Get the unit replaced under warranty and set them up yourself following the guide on the TRP website. HY/RDs are good brakes but the setup of them is different to any other disc brake and it's really common for shops to get it wrong.

With the leak, probably the best option. Is there an updated v2 version of the HY/RD's they would exchange your 'bad' set for? (rather than just the faulty part)?

Eeek! Is it the same on the underside? If not (and you can tell the frame has a hole) then it's just paint over the hole and probably safe to drill very carefully...! But I would only do it after PX give the go ahead/instruction! Try and get a discount/refund on it if so! :eek::o

Soldato
Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a new stem for more comfortable ride. I have a fixed stem at the moment. I think its 90mm or 110mm

I am looking to purchase this , as it allows you to angle the stem up. i am 6ft3 with a 60cm bike. I want to know which length i should go for a tall rider
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...I29EMHTBIOMYYY&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

this depends on your frame size, top tube length etc no one can really "tell" you what length to go for because each person is different, if you want a perfect fit then get a bike fit done and they will measure everything and tell you the angles/heights/lengths of every component(that needs to be changed)

blindly buying can work but it's a pot of luck.

Soldato
130mm -17 degree is the only way to go...
#pro

My wiggle 12 months only £150! Been spending a bit more local in Aus online here and a few other places online, but would be <1k for the year easily I'd imagine!

Man of Honour
Likewise. Doing battle with the traffic is bad enough without gale force winds.

The train was down to 2 carriages from the usual 4, so that was a delight.

Ouch, not fun.

I would ideally have ridden in despite the winds but there's a leaving do at work today so I'll be out a bit late and be drinking a bit of beer. Carbing up for the 100 mile ride tomorrow...

With the leak, probably the best option. Is there an updated v2 version of the HY/RD's they would exchange your 'bad' set for? (rather than just the faulty part)?

There's not an officially monikered (is that even a word?) V2 but there have been at least two revisions that I'm aware of. One was to fix a problem with leaks and another to sort out something to do with the cylinders not retracting properly in certain conditions iirc. I'd definitely attempt to get them replaced.

Soldato

Carbon cage - because there's nothing quite like saving weight on a turbo bike? ;) Flashy! Will save you a few grams when you get into the mountains! :D

Not tried those but really recommend the Park Took TL-1. Not the cheapest but the best and strongest I've found.

I am looking to purchase a new stem for more comfortable ride. I have a fixed stem at the moment. I think its 90mm or 110mm

As mentioned, it can be quite hard to judge without seeing your sizing and bike positioning...

blindly buying can work but it's a pot of luck.

Also not much point buying an adjustable stem if you need a shorter reach and not a position change (short arms like mine!) or longer. Changing the angle will change your position, not really solve any size issues!

Depending on your frame sizing in comparison to your height taking in your flexibility and riding style/type will determine the setup. You're quite tall but your frame size sounds like it might be too big for you if you had a long body with shorter reach arms/legs. If for example your legs are long, frame might be ok but the reach may need decreasing (stem length) to give you a more relaxed arm position without making you 'sit up and beg' which the stem angle would. Purely objective but without knowing your riding, position and style it's hard to advise. I guess what I'm saying,is if you have big problems with your reach currently, the stem angle might only solve part of it. :)

well that was dangerous commute, like wow.. the number of times I was hit by ridiculous side winds is crazy! I nearly lost it like 10 times.

Slow down? :p

monikered (is that even a word?)

Adjective
(not comparable)

(often in combination) Having a moniker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom