Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Just order both sizes and return the other? :)

That's one option, the other is to order the Large (thinking in DHB 'Professional fit size up') for £42, then even if price changes (and I need to exchange) providing the size is in stock you can select it as exchange from the return screen. As you've already paid, the exchange doesn't involve any price changing even if it increases during the time.

This is great for things you order which go out of stock as they hold the order/item until stock arrives and you get it at the 'offer' price rather than the price the items come back into stock at (which is regularly not on 'offer' when Wiggle get a delivery of all sizes from a supplier). That's why Wiggle don't offer you many options to 'back order' items! ;)

Although you can work around that... Item you want in stock at weird sizing, amazing offer to reduce stocking levels = order it. Wait until items come back into stock (at your size) = return wrong size still new in box/packet for correct sizing. With Wiggle's amazing returns policy "Wiggle customers have 365 days from date of delivery to return their orders." providing the item you require isn't EOL they should be getting more stock. It obviously involves some legwork/effort and probably not worth it for a few quid, but for £20-30 'saving'... :D I stupidly didn't do this when my Sidi Kaos were only in stock in size 38 & 48 and were on a £99 deal. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
The wind does make proper riding a bit of a pain but to be honest I prefer it to ice and constant rain (it's not exactly dry but there are at least spells of it).
I agree. The wind generally doesn't bother me too much. I don't mind a bit of damp but it's the rain that usually puts me off. I don't even mind icy cold as long as I'm not wet through.

Soldato
That's one option, the other is to order the Large (thinking in DHB 'Professional fit size up') for £42, then even if price changes (and I need to exchange) providing the size is in stock you can select it as exchange from the return screen. As you've already paid, the exchange doesn't involve any price changing even if it increases during the time.

This is great for things you order which go out of stock as they hold the order/item until stock arrives and you get it at the 'offer' price rather than the price the items come back into stock at (which is regularly not on 'offer' when Wiggle get a delivery of all sizes from a supplier). That's why Wiggle don't offer you many options to 'back order' items! ;)

Although you can work around that... Item you want in stock at weird sizing, amazing offer to reduce stocking levels = order it. Wait until items come back into stock (at your size) = return wrong size still new in box/packet for correct sizing. With Wiggle's amazing returns policy "Wiggle customers have 365 days from date of delivery to return their orders." providing the item you require isn't EOL they should be getting more stock. It obviously involves some legwork/effort and probably not worth it for a few quid, but for £20-30 'saving'... :D I stupidly didn't do this when my Sidi Kaos were only in stock in size 38 & 48 and were on a £99 deal. :rolleyes:

You sir are a genius.

Caporegime
Payday = Wiggle order day.

Cheapo Lifeline CO2 inflator and cartridges (I'll buy a more serious inflator at some point soon - this is just to tide me over)
Decent square taper/octalink bottom bracket tool. My old one is getting knackered.
Inner tubes. Woo.
DHB Blok Micro Softshell Windslam Roubaix Jacket for just £39. I've ordered it in Medium, which will be a bit snug, but should do the job.

Soldato
Inner tubes. Woo.
DHB Blok Micro Softshell Windslam Roubaix Jacket for just £39. I've ordered it in Medium, which will be a bit snug, but should do the job.

Innertubeshop.com!

You'll love the Windslam Roubaix, it's a great jacket for the money! Even felt like it would provide some shower-rain protection :)

You sir are a genius.

Really? Nobody else do this...? Didn't have me down as clever! ;)

I just can't resist a bargain & spend time finding them... I may come across as a cheapskate but I'm just frugal... :o
During the last 365 days you have spent: £2,495.57
;)
Admittedlywith the Wiggle return only done it a couple of times - it can be good for 'price matching' other cheaper places which charge delivery (without the hassle of doing it 'properly') as Wiggle's sale prices are usually similar to these (Rose & Bikeinn spring to mind).

Last edited:
Soldato
Bit scary really, but in there is a £250 garmin and ~6 pairs of ~£50 shorts,... ~£350 on 4 pairs of shoes/boots, £100 wheelset, £150 on various lights etc etc.

I have a problem, but don't think I need much more stuff now!? Moving house this year will put a serious dent on it! :o

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Bit scary really, but in there is a £250 garmin and ~6 pairs of ~£50 shorts,... ~£350 on 4 pairs of shoes/boots, £100 wheelset, £150 on various lights etc etc.

I have a problem, but don't think I need much more stuff now!? Moving house this year will put a serious dent on it! :o

Did you receive that pod btw?

Soldato

Is that just cycling shoes/boots? Or other footwear too?

Man of Honour
How much on mudguards? :p

I'm about to fit my replacement BB and get my bike ready for my Sat ride (no riding tomorrow and work do/etc to take up time). It's going to be a fun solo 100 miles with some 40mph headwind.

Chances of me giving up seem to be getting higher with these new developments...

Soldato
I didn't think I could despise my disc brakes any more, but tonight really took the ***.

I've had issues with the TRP Hy/Rd brakes on my commuter ever since I bought it. Initially it was due to poor setup, but then it was a ridiculous amount of brake rub. I gave up riding it because it was so frustrating and the rub was that bad it was like riding a tank. I finally got around to taking it in for a service and the mechanic sorted it out and it was like riding a brand new bike.

2 weeks and less than 200km later, the rub returns and has been getting worse and worse. Tonight it also went nuts during braking as I lightly applied pressure and there was a rattling sound and the front wheel locked up. After that it just carried on rubbing and now it's as bad as it's ever been.

The brakes are unpredictable, difficult to service, maintain and set-up. The only thing I can see that I can do from here is to upgrade to hydraulic - which sounds like it would be very expensive - or ditch the bike altogether, because I don't think I can trust these brakes at all.

ETA: So having had a closer look - there's fluid leaking from the brake plus one of the pads has completely gone. I'm certain that pad was fine after the service, looks like the whole brake is ******

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I didn't think I could despise my disc brakes any more, but tonight really took the ***.

I've had issues with the TRP Hy/Rd brakes on my commuter ever since I bought it. Initially it was due to poor setup, but then it was a ridiculous amount of brake rub. I gave up riding it because it was so frustrating and the rub was that bad it was like riding a tank. I finally got around to taking it in for a service and the mechanic sorted it out and it was like riding a brand new bike.

2 weeks and less than 200km later, the rub returns and has been getting worse and worse. Tonight it also went nuts during braking as I lightly applied pressure and there was a rattling sound and the front wheel locked up. After that it just carried on rubbing and now it's as bad as it's ever been.

The brakes are unpredictable, difficult to service, maintain and set-up. The only thing I can see that I can do from here is to upgrade to hydraulic - which sounds like it would be very expensive - or ditch the bike altogether, because I don't think I can trust these brakes at all.

ETA: So having had a closer look - there's fluid leaking from the brake plus one of the pads has completely gone. I'm certain that pad was fine after the service, looks like the whole brake is ******

Are you sure the mechanic has set them up properly? All of those issues sound exactly like the ones I had when I kept on running my brakes incorrectly.

Get the unit replaced under warranty and set them up yourself following the guide on the TRP website. HY/RDs are good brakes but the setup of them is different to any other disc brake and it's really common for shops to get it wrong.

Soldato
Are you sure the mechanic has set them up properly? All of those issues sound exactly like the ones I had when I kept on running my brakes incorrectly.

Get the unit replaced under warranty and set them up yourself following the guide on the TRP website. HY/RDs are good brakes but the setup of them is different to any other disc brake and it's really common for shops to get it wrong.

I'm sure they were OK, this seems like a failure of the unit, especially given the fluid leak. I wonder whether it was faulty from day one to be honest given the grief I've had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom