Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know my resting heart rate is around about 60 bpm, no clue of max, theoretical is 185 bpm but I managed to hit 182bpm at one point towards the end of that workout!

I suspect I may have chosen the wrong trainer from the list, I may have chosen the elite fluid rather than the elite crono fluid.

Can you get a free trial of Trainer Road? I'd trust the FTP test from that more to be honest. Though obviously if the FTP is hugely different in that it's not like you can feed it into Zwift whilst the setup is as it is.

What do you mean by max theoretical HR btw? If it's anything to do with the age-based max HR formula then ignore it and just go off what you manage to measure sometime. Ideally after doing multiple high intensity intervals in a row :)

edit: The trainer choice could also have impacted things. There's definitely no way to tighten the contact between the wheel and the trainer, right?

So I had my first Zwift and turbo trainer experience this morning, decided to go straight into an FTP test as I heard I could work out heart rate zones based upon it. It gave me an FTP of 509w.

But as I said I'd quite like to work out my heart rates zones.

Is that possible from the following data?

https://www.strava.com/activities/483128433/analysis

You sir have the makings of a world champion.

I'd check the turbo/tyre interface first. Does the tyre slip against the roller when you pull it up and down?

Failing that I'd guess Zwift virtual power has the resistance setting for the turbo set incorrectly i.e. Zwift reckons it's on 5 but the turbo is on 1, or something similar.

Either way, Zwift is detecting way too much wheel speed for a given cadence.

If everything is set right, then welcome to the forum Miguel Indurain!

Edit: just seen it's a fluid trainer. Must be because you picked the wrong turbo profile but I'm surprised it's that far out.

Max power 1180w! Nice. Those legs :p

My zwift stuff is fairly accurate, I believe (it's poor, so I'd hope it couldn't be worse!), so must be something in the setup.

Was going to have a rest day today, so rode in to work. Nice small ride and not done the commute in over a week and hammered in, even with rush hour traffic. So that's nice.

Roady is on holiday. So I am assuming the role of multi quote king, problem? :p

It got windy, up to 30kmh so a 22 min was out of the question.

My legs felt pretty ordinary, but I've done 360km this week so not tapered or anything. Had a gel 5 mins before the start.

First 5 minutes almost 400w average, oops.

Got to the turn around, had a swig of drink as dry mouth, this was a mistake as I got a really bad stitch with 3km to go.

First split 343w, return split 338w. Average 341w for a time of 22:32, I think if it wasn't windy I'd have gone close to 22. The gusts made it difficult to get into a rhythm which you really need.

Top work, still weird knowing you are in height of season and we are still hibernating! You need to test proper and get your profile updated in our power thread :D Your 5mins is down as 410w, you would monster that on 5 min efforts man.

Good stuff Berger! I finally managed my first FTP test of sorts this year on Thursday. 340w for 17mins (lap of RP). Surprised me given most the riding I've been doing had been commuting or surgy long rides.

The base is built almost, 340w is right around your 20min best coming off last season? You're in a good place clearly if you can push that now for 20 at this point Thomas. I bet you are a few KG up as well right now.

I push low power on turbo as is, but fitted mini TT bars the other night as need to start working on my position and I am working on 5min power at the moment a bit, done a session of mins on with equal recoveries = 5/4/2/2 all of which in TT position on turbo over 5W/KG so was happy with that as my position needs a lot of changing and getting used to etc.
Back under 61kg now also, well, maybe not after the weekend but will be by Wednesday :D

Spoke to a motorcyclist at work this morning. He had an accident before with minor injuries and said he had issues with insurance having not gone to a doctor to get it verified. I also spoke to British Cycling's assigned solicitors and they recommended doing so. Looks like I'll have to spend x number of hours waiting in a walk in centre this evening!

Last edited:
Scenario,
I have Force 22 on my bike,
If I get a Red 22 crank of the same style.
Do I a need new (different) BB as well? (there about 20 miles on the bike at this stage so wear isn't a consideration)

Scenario,
Do I a need new (different) BB as well? (there about 20 miles on the bike at this stage so wear isn't a consideration)

You need to find out if your bottom bracket is a GXP or a BB30 and then get the correct crank, no need to change the BB unless its knackered and needs replacing

Last edited:
Scenario,

Is there a particular reason for making the swap? The weight saving is trivial, so surely there are better places to put your money?

Unless you're getting it for free, I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom