Road Cycling

Soldato
Planet x are stock dumping some campag odds and sods. Got rebuild kits for 11s shifters for under a tenner, they're NLA from campag so well worth grabbing if you use them

Soldato
Anyone know Leamington Spa area well? Looking to plan a few routes out there that I might do this weekend.

I've seen a ride warwickshire sportive online. Might steal some roads from that.

Soldato
Chain jumped off yesterday and got wedged up inside the chainring and the frame, scraping off a load of the paint :( Can you buy any kind of cover/wrap? Something in black I could wrap over the damaged area behind the chainring would protect and cover the damage :)

Associate
Technical Q. Current bike has 105 with FSA cranks and Bb30 bottom bracket. I want to upgrade to Ultegra 11 speed. I know I'll keed an adaptor or new BB. Just wondered if anyone had any experience or recommendations.

Thanks in advance

Soldato
Kind of a good thing with Boardman frames. Have had two alloy frames where the frame has worn due to the press fit BB moving in the frame. One actually snapped.

I rate the Wheelsmfg stuff for the price, for the BB30OUT(out for outboard bearing) model it is the same tool as Shimano cups IIRC. The PF30OUT uses a slightly larger tool as the cup is bigger.

Soldato
Yes. I use 105 cassettes all the time.

I Know the old 105 cassettes are fine, just making sure the new R7000 are still fair game - in which case I can get myself a cheap climbing cassette because I've got a few hilly sportives coming up and 28T isn't funny on the proper steep stuff.

Soldato
Caporegime
Soldato
Chain jumped off yesterday and got wedged up inside the chainring and the frame, scraping off a load of the paint :( Can you buy any kind of cover/wrap? Something in black I could wrap over the damaged area behind the chainring would protect and cover the damage :)
Argh, gutted! Has it gone down to basecoat or just the laquer? There's lots of ways to protect before it happens (things like helitape) but afterwards you're kinda in touchup territory... Or getting the whole frame sprayed!

My 'Hyper Green' Diverge has so many scratches and scuffs all over it, some of the cable rub area of the headset got down to the basecoat before I realised and put some clear frame protectors on there. The marks/scratches/scuffs along the toptube it was far too late to do anything about... I keep telling myself one day she'll get a respray, but I have a several other things in mind, probably involving carbon repair before then... :o

Technical Q. Current bike has 105 with FSA cranks and Bb30 bottom bracket. I want to upgrade to Ultegra 11 speed. I know I'll keed an adaptor or new BB. Just wondered if anyone had any experience or recommendations.
105 5800 (11 speed) to R8000? Most will swap straight across apart from the BB as you've found.

The FSA Gossamer crank on my old Giant swapped straight out to 5800 105, but that was a Shimano pressfit BB (at a guess PF30).

I rate the Wheelsmfg stuff for the price, for the BB30OUT(out for outboard bearing) model it is the same tool as Shimano cups IIRC. The PF30OUT uses a slightly larger tool as the cup is bigger.
I have a totally unused Wheelsmfg BB30 I've been trying to sell for blooming ages (kept it too long to return it). Will do you a deal on it if you want it! Got it new at a great price but even chopping £10+ off that can't seem to shift it. I needed the PF30 version and bought the wrong one.

My PF30 has been absolutely brilliant! Really rate Wheelmfg stuff. The previous Praxis Works was good but kept getting grit in it so had to keep cleaning it out... Then all the fitting & removal just made it worse and worse.

Does anyone know if I can replace a 6800 ultegra cassette with a very latest (R7000 I think) 105 cassette? Heck of a lot cheaper!
Not a problem. Running 5800, 6800 and 8000 cassettes here on 5800 & 8000 cranksets with 6800 derailleurs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom