Road Cycling

Soldato
pshh! rules are here to be broken :D but seriously why would you not want sleeveless in the summer? it's great? I guess you dont get the sharp tan lines so it's hard to flex?

Tan lines? What are they? I go from white to pink to bright red - very quickly. Therefore summer is a battle between slapping on tanker loads of SPF30 and clothing to reduce how much sun cream you need but don't melt!

Associate
I am currently looking at getting a Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt or a Garmin Edge 530. I am leaning towards the Bolt due to the better battery life (when back in stock) but it seems it mainly works using breadcrumb navigation instead of turn by turn, I am struggling to find much information about the pros and cons of each method. If anyone has a Bolt is this a real world issue? Looking to get a unit to do longer pre built rides as I train for a London to Paris ride next year.

Soldato
I am currently looking at getting a Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt or a Garmin Edge 530. I am leaning towards the Bolt due to the better battery life (when back in stock) but it seems it mainly works using breadcrumb navigation instead of turn by turn, I am struggling to find much information about the pros and cons of each method. If anyone has a Bolt is this a real world issue? Looking to get a unit to do longer pre built rides as I train for a London to Paris ride next year.

The Bolt and the 530 are a generation apart. The 530 is way better.

Soldato
Tan lines? What are they? I go from white to pink to bright red - very quickly. Therefore summer is a battle between slapping on tanker loads of SPF30 and clothing to reduce how much sun cream you need but don't melt!

Haha! I don't have that issue lucky enough, lobster arms!

I've got a bolt and bolt over Garmin for me. It does turn by turn if you have a route with cues. Works very well without and screen is super clear and easy to follow. The fact that it is controlled through your mobile phone is also great, super easy and quick to setup and had 0 issues with mine. Whereas my previous Garmin crashed, was hard to see the map etc..the 530 is supposed to be decent but I'd go with wahoo. A few comparisons on YouTube that are worth having a look at..

Garmin is newer but in my opinion they're just playing catch up. You don't need colour screens and touch screen etc on a computer. What you want is reliability, ease of use, good software and something that just works. In my opinion bolt is just that. Plus Garmin have got track record of buggy software and crashes.

Associate
Garmin is newer but in my opinion they're just playing catch up. You don't need colour screens and touch screen etc on a computer. What you want is reliability, ease of use, good software and something that just works. In my opinion bolt is just that. Plus Garmin have got track record of buggy software and crashes.

Useful information and aligns with what I have read, both seem a good option but Wahoo has better battery life, comes with a mount and is cheaper. It seems like ride with gps can give the turn by turn routing as TCX file but most routes are saved as GPX but if the navigation works well thats all I am really looking for. Now just need them to come back in stock!

Soldato
Useful information and aligns with what I have read, both seem a good option but Wahoo has better battery life, comes with a mount and is cheaper. It seems like ride with gps can give the turn by turn routing as TCX file but most routes are saved as GPX but if the navigation works well thats all I am really looking for. Now just need them to come back in stock!

yeah I'm glad I got mine just before it went out of stock! have a look on ebay, I've seen a few used ones go for 120-130

mine works really well with my old garmin cadence and speed sensors and now varia radar light :) all ant+ standard so connect without issues.

I have used strava to create the routes and they're super easy to follow. Even without cues but as said it is an issue with strava not exporting cues even if they're there, which is where ridewithgps comes as that allows you to export with cues and then you get proper turn-by-turn.

Soldato
Sounds like the barrel adjuster needs a slight tweak - plenty of youtube vids that explain it well. Park tools, GCN, etc.

As TheBrooder said, just give it a minor adjustment while you're out riding. No more than a quarter turn at a time.

Thanks, I thought so. Will take a tool out when next on a short ride.

that looks pretty good! how are you finding the fit? I am usually l-xl on non cycling tops.

Erm, I guess I would say the fit is.... genuine? I usually wear anything from L to XXL, usually an XL and I have this in XL and it's fine. Le Col also do an in door training sleeveless vest (Wahoo branded) which is quite nice, but only has one pocket on the back... not so useful. Good ventilation though.

While we're also on Wahoo units, I've been wondering about 'upgrading' from the original ELEMNT to a Roam. Does anyone know, will it actually route plan on the fly? If I'm lost somewhere, can I hit 'navigate home' and select 'shortest', 'fastest' or 'most popular' and have it lead me home like a TomTom would?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, I thought so. Will take a tool out when next on a short ride.

Erm, I guess I would say the fit is.... genuine? I usually wear anything from L to XXL, usually an XL and I have this in XL and it's fine. Le Col also do an in door training sleeveless vest (Wahoo branded) which is quite nice, but only has one pocket on the back... not so useful. Good ventilation though.

While we're also on Wahoo units, I've been wondering about 'upgrading' from the original ELEMNT to a Roam. Does anyone know, will it actually route plan on the fly? If I'm lost somewhere, can I hit 'navigate home' and select 'shortest', 'fastest' or 'most popular' and have it lead me home like a TomTom would?

nice one!

I've never used it but in wahoo app you can select "take me to.." and let it route you home?

Soldato
Hmm, I don't even have that installed. I have the ELEMNT app, which I don't think does that. Does the actual Wahoo app connect to the units too?

oh it's elemnt app that I am talking about..

when connected to your computer you go to:

app -> routes -> press the "+" in the corner and select "take me to..." and enter details and bam you've got a route home/etc

Soldato

I'm really happy with my Garmin 530 after a very reluctant upgrade from my long serving Garmin 800 which finally died. The battery life is excellent - think it was at 70% after a near 8 hour ride on Sunday which included mapping, live tracking and reading data from two ANT+ sensors.

It seems very stable, I think I've had a couple of crashes but these have generally been when I've been really pushing it and using all the features at once. Even then it's just been a quick restart and back on with things, it's not lost a ride yet.

I'd buy another one.

Soldato
Phew! Did 34.57 miles this afternoon in 29 degrees, wasn't the easiest ride. Was a bit under fuelled as well, had done nearly 21 miles yesterday with quite a few climbs.

Think my performance drops at about 27 degrees and above. Other people similar?

Soldato
Phew! Did 34.57 miles this afternoon in 29 degrees, wasn't the easiest ride. Was a bit under fuelled as well, had done nearly 21 miles yesterday with quite a few climbs.

Think my performance drops at about 27 degrees and above. Other people similar?

Yup. I went out yesterday at 6pm for an hour and was leaking big time. Liquid becomes the issue for me on long, hot rides as two 750ml bottles don't last long. If you're riding solo then even a quick shop stop becomes a faff to secure your bike.

Soldato
Yup. I went out yesterday at 6pm for an hour and was leaking big time. Liquid becomes the issue for me on long, hot rides as two 750ml bottles don't last long. If you're riding solo then even a quick shop stop becomes a faff to secure your bike.

1.5l of fridge cooled water only just got me round a gentle paced 2.5 hour loop at 1830 yesterday with 30C+ temps, not sure I want to repeat that again shortly, might risk something little this evening and hope the roads are dry and cooler tomorrow morning.

Soldato
1.5l of fridge cooled water only just got me round a gentle paced 2.5 hour loop at 1830 yesterday with 30C+ temps, not sure I want to repeat that again shortly, might risk something little this evening and hope the roads are dry and cooler tomorrow morning.

I spent a week riding in France a couple of years ago and it was hot. I started filling a bottle (with High5 Zero added) and freezing it overnight (leave a bit of expansion room!). By the time you've finished your first bottle, the frozen one is melting/melted but still cold. Mind you, we did one ride that week that averaged 38 degrees. I went through something like 6 litres whilst out but was still horribly dehydrated. I'll dig out the Strava link as there's picture of my jersey with dried salt marks on it.

Back
Top Bottom